Cliques!

Work together with others to reach a common goal - or the shrine of your dreams!
Mikari

Re: Cliques!

Post by Mikari »

I've been thinking, wouldn't the php be more unsafe. I mean with a log in script that means there are permissions set for files or info in the database to be modified via the log in right? More complex script more risks. But then with simple JS that is set to read only and can only be modified via FTP by updating the file, that's safer right?

I'm almost done with the rotation. Did the layout and most of the site. I just need to code the join form, go over everything with the spell checker and I'm ready to upload.
Aa-chan

Post by Aa-chan »

I'm thinking, in a grand opening to my Palom and Porom shrine, I'm going to do a "Palom versus Porom" clique. :O (I got the idea from a "Krusty Krab versus the Chum Bucket" clique I saw a loooonnnggg time ago, back in the early '00's). Would that count? ^^;
Eden

Post by Eden »

Mikari wrote:I've been thinking, wouldn't the php be more unsafe. I mean with a log in script that means there are permissions set for files or info in the database to be modified via the log in right? More complex script more risks. But then with simple JS that is set to read only and can only be modified via FTP by updating the file, that's safer right?

I'm almost done with the rotation. Did the layout and most of the site. I just need to code the join form, go over everything with the spell checker and I'm ready to upload.
PHP and Javascript are more or less unsafe, but PHP is server side whereas JS is not. I don't allow Javascript to run in any of my browsers and I use noscript because I find JS severely unsafe and I don't trust the majority of people who code with it. It is easily exploitable.

It's only really useful for things that are light weight (like doing a few things in navigation that CSS alone can't do) but for super complicated things, no. JS is too bloated and simply a mess. It's got different snippets of all sorts of languages meshed into it like a badly made salad that doesn't go together. The same goes for PHP (some moron who didn't know anything about programming created it and everyone hopped on board and started throwing things into it like C, Java, Ruby, etc), but using lightly coded PHP to run something as simple as a banner rotation is OK and better since it'd be server side and can't be messed with directly like JS can. Read only can be changed if you know how to do it. :')

In essence, I neither support any of these two "languages" (they are abysmal in my coder's standard) but for simple things, PHP is better suited for simplicity's sake. Who said PHP had to be complex? A few lines of php versus 30 lines of JS. I can think of more languages that are better, but for simplicity, PHP is preferred and the safer route to go--but PHP or JS is only as safe as your understanding of the code itself. With things being deprecated all the time and throwing even more ridiculous things into the language, it's a wonder it's survived this long. I'm hoping the switch to python will phase both of these out.

I can't tell you what you can or can't do, I'm just pointing out my observation and what I've learned as a programmer. Go ahead with your site, I'm not telling you not to do it. :swt2: :swt: I apologize if that's how I am coming off. I'm not a good explainer and I'm not very good with people. orz
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Aa-chan wrote:I'm thinking, in a grand opening to my Palom and Porom shrine, I'm going to do a "Palom versus Porom" clique. :O
That sounds fun! I'll join if you make it... although I have no idea whose side I would be on. :o
Eden wrote: I apologize if that's how I am coming off. I'm not a good explainer and I'm not very good with people. orz
You don't need to apologize, different opinions/observations/experiences is what makes the world interesting! (Okay that was cheesy but true... Hmm... maybe I shouldn't post here at 2am...) And yeah... it has been made. The JS is extremely simple, all it does is grab a random button to display from the list.
Yamila

Post by Yamila »

|ω・)
|・ω・`)

here to give my two cents (and go a bit OT, but well)... I gotta agree on Javascript being nasty. There was this time years ago when my whole domain got infected by a virus (the one that sneaked inside Adobe Reader, remember? never touched that programme again since then btw), and it all happened because of js files i had in some folders. i didn't use that many, they were only to make image rollovers iirc... but it still managed to screw my poor cielo-azul up. wouldn't have got rid of it if it hadn't been for my wonderful hostess L-seme (●´∀`)ノ♡

never used js files ever again of course - replaced all the stuff i used to do with it with css and other tricks (`・ω・´) i even installed an add-on in firefox to kill all js i might encounter, haha.

now, on the topic of cliques... would love to run one, but since i can't think of a single good idea, and that i should actually bring the bishoujo directory back first, i don't see it coming in the near future... should join some more, tho, once i revamp my domain ヽ(´ー`)ノ
· watch out, the night is breaking ·
stalking ur sites with Masao, Dragoneyes & Saya · [ directory team ]
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Hm, if I do make a clique again, I might just go with an email form and add members manually. I still do that with a few of my fanlistings, so I'd be fine with it.

@Yamila Please do bring back your shoujo directory! x3
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Sarah wrote:Hm, if I do make a clique again, I might just go with an email form and add members manually. I still do that with a few of my fanlistings, so I'd be fine with it.
I do this too. It's just as easy as a log in when there are not that many details to add anyway.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Sarah wrote:@Yamila Please do bring back your shoujo directory! x3
I second this!

I had an idea for a clique but I'm not really sure about it (my reading Fruits Basket lately as a huge influence over my idea xD).
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Crystal wrote:
Sarah wrote:@Yamila Please do bring back your shoujo directory! x3
I second this!
I third it! XD
Crystal wrote:I had an idea for a clique but I'm not really sure about it (my reading Fruits Basket lately as a huge influence over my idea xD).
I'm curious...
Eden

Post by Eden »

Crystal wrote:I had an idea for a clique but I'm not really sure about it (my reading Fruits Basket lately as a huge influence over my idea xD).
I used to run a clique years ago dedicated to the zodiac of Fruits Basket. It was poorly run, but I really loved doing it. I might revive it and improve it. XD
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!