Your animanga genre

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Kibumie

Your animanga genre

Post by Kibumie »

What type of animanga do enjoy to watch/read? :blush: Or do you watch/read in any genre unless it's good or popular? :star:
aminuet .。. king
Eden

Re: Your animanga genre

Post by Eden »

I enjoy horror, gore and thrillers. I also like mystery, suspense, harem/comedy, sci-fi, and a little bit of romance. :3
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

I used to watch in any genre as a kid. I just watch anything that our tv network shows. But nowadays, I just watch/read the genre that I specifically enjoy which are:

a) shoujo, I like to read shoujo manga even though some are just painfully annoying and that there are only a handful that I could say are really good.

b) supernatural, I love yokai and ghost related series. Although I tend to get away from psychological thrillers. haha.

c) slice of life, I guess since I like shoujo I tend to enjoy mild slice of life series as well.

d) reverse harem, I have nothing to say to this. just. :heart:

e) action/shonen, I do enjoy shonen as well. Most of the shonen series I enjoy comes from shonen jump, jump square, and gangan.

f) comedy, I like to laugh.

Although it's not a type of genre, I enjoy series that has something to do with brotherly love. Especially if the story revolves in the brothers' relationship. :inlove:
Last edited by Kibumie on Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aminuet .。. king
anon

Post by anon »

I mostly read shoujo in modern settings these days. I cannot relate to stuff taking place in any era outside of my own.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

Joe wrote:I mostly read shoujo in modern settings these days. I cannot relate to stuff taking place in any era outside of my own.
I like to read shoujo from different timeline like fantasy, heian period, bakumatsu, sengoku, but that's about it. I don't like sci-fi types. haha. :yay:
aminuet .。. king
Eden

Post by Eden »

I used to watch/read shoujo and slice of life, but for some reason a lot of that has become stale and a lot of the series all just... feel the same to me. I still like the stuff I already read, but I don't go out of my way to read any more that come out. I like to branch out to the more obscure genres (or genres that are overlooked/underrated) and watch some unique stuff that's out there.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
anon

Post by anon »

Eden wrote:I used to watch/read shoujo and slice of life, but for some reason a lot of that has become stale and a lot of the series all just... feel the same to me. I still like the stuff I already read, but I don't go out of my way to read any more that come out. I like to branch out to the more obscure genres (or genres that are overlooked/underrated) and watch some unique stuff that's out there.
I guess it is because there is so much one can say about adolescent life. It's nothing special: going to school, experiencing romance, etc.
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

Eden wrote:I used to watch/read shoujo and slice of life, but for some reason a lot of that has become stale and a lot of the series all just... feel the same to me. I still like the stuff I already read, but I don't go out of my way to read any more that come out. I like to branch out to the more obscure genres (or genres that are overlooked/underrated) and watch some unique stuff that's out there.
I read a lot of shoujo, haha. To me they are interesting especially since I find a lot of shoujo series that contains intense drama and angst type of shoujo male protagonist. I like drama. There are also a lot of unique plots from shoujo genre. If you like unique series, I would suggest to look at Square Enix publications. Most of their series goes beyond the norm. :blush:
aminuet .。. king
Kula

Post by Kula »

I used to read lots of shoujo but lately it's just shounen, boys love and josei/seinen to be quite honest :!: I still read from any genre from time to time tho (just take a look at my MAL) and when it comes to anime I generally watch things from the season, regardless the genre.
overskill / uchuu ☆*。★゚*♪ヾ(☆ゝз・)ノ♪ ♪
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I feel like Eden as far as romance in shoujo is concerned - perhaps because I've grown out of that age and can no longer identify with that type of romance, and it doesn't help if manga keep making their characters look like young adults and have them worry about sexual matters while giving them a low age tag. Some of the things characters experience, especially sexual tension, were just not even part of my world when I was at that age, so I always feel somewhat bewildered when seeing 14-16-year-olds worry about it. :< I do pick up cheesy shoujo manga every now and then though, and have enjoyed some such as HanaKimi. I'm very fond of Fruits Basket due to its wisdom and mature, thought-provoking themes, and wouldn't classify it as the typical shoujo manga. Am much more likely to enjoy shoujo manga if it's not the usual high school setting. :)

My favorite genre would be fantasy/adventure - something set in another world with its own system and rules (and politics) where the main characters go on a quest, as is the case in many shounen manga. I also like slice of life in seinen and especially josei manga! For some reason, I'm just drawn to series that have something calm and soothing about them... So I also love Natsumi Yuujinchou and Mushishi - series with traditionally Japanese and folklore elements.

I don't read horror or anything with gore because I dislike senseless violence and am a scaredy-cat; I also avoid anything with too much fanservice or ecchi in it.

I read BL doujinshi every now and then. =O One Piece.
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.