Audience

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Camy
Administrator

Re: Audience

Post by Camy »

Do you ever think about the audience of your shrines?

Yes.

Do you aim to write for people unfamiliar with the subject, intending to provide a sort of introduction, or do you write more for people who have experienced what your subject came from (the game, anime, etc)?

I write for both. I always make sure to warn them ahead of time that spoilers are in my shrines since I prefer to have it complete all in one go. Sesshoumaru's Castle was an exception due to the manga ongoing at the time before it finally stopped.

I always include a small summary of the series since I know how curious people can be if they suddenly stumble upon it or have seen the character elsewhere and is looking the character up to see where they're from.

Do you write mostly for yourself, or with other readers in mind?

I actually haven't thought about that. World Eater though was definitely for myself since Alduin is a jerk and to make it enjoyable, and to mock him a lot, I went that route.

Although, I always think of the readers since I break down my writing in paragraphs that are comfortable to the eye so that it won't be too chucnky and intimidating. For long pages, I add in anchor points so they can quickly jump to the information they need.

Do you try to make it clear on your index who your shrine is intended for?

Clear as water!
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

That's a great question, Todd, and I know you've asked me about it. I think my answer is, "It depends".

For example, my Sky Doll shrine, La Poupée qui fait non, is geared toward making people want to get into the series. I have made efforts to write spoilerless previews and character infos, and even when I will revamp it I intend to keep it it this way. So Scandalous! is another one that's mainly for people who have not played before; in fact, the target, I believe, is people stumbling across our beloved punning penis demon and researching WTF.

On the other hand, I think Senpai Noticed Me! is my most "for players" shrine. Not because I wrote a very short intro, but because I analyze the game more than I describe a series of scenes were the two interact, so I think it makes more sense if you have played the game first. Another example is Atheist, because there is so little actual information about Adil that I have to infer his personality through the very few actions he takes throughout the game.

First and foremost, though, I write for myself, and I try to inject humour into my stuff because that's who I am.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Everything that Larissa said down to the comma. :P
Larissa
Time Traveler