How do you make a shrine if you have no time?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Todd

Re: How do you make a shrine if you have no time?

Post by Todd »

I have a couple pointers for this, actually! I work full time, have a pretty active social life, and I LOVE video games (they take up a large portion of my free time, haha). It's hard to find time to work on sites sometimes, but it's a hobby I will always squeeze in.

Anyway, I find outlines are super important! You'll make the best outlines when you are currently into a series or have just finished it and it's fresh in your mind.

Next, using your outline, write out sentences and paragraphs that are nothing but opinions. Unique observations, opinions, and passion for a subject will be harder and harder to find as time goes on and you haven't experienced the subject of your site in a while, so it's best to get those out quickly while they are fresh in your mind. You do not have to write pretty at this point. You can even make bulleted lists. You're not writing essays now; just jotting notes, basically.

Finally, with your opinions all out, you have "meat" for a site and can finish it at a very slow pace, retaining the passion and unique view you had for the subject. You can find dry info on Wikis and other internet resources that will help you refresh your mind when you're writing facts or backing up your opinions, and those can be perused at any time. Mix those facts with the opinions/unique observations you previously laid out, and you'll find essays coming together, and eventually your shrine will be done.

I didn't include layout in this process, as that should just happen when you have time or are inspired. Media sections should probably be saved for last, or at least second, after your opinions are all out, as they won't require passion or memory to put together.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Crystal: HOLY WOW. That is a GREAT way to approach site-making! :O
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:@Crystal: HOLY WOW. That is a GREAT way to approach site-making! :O
Haha thanks. xD Sometimes I have a hard time writing up a paragraph so I find a couple sentences works too.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

I usually just work on sites when I have inspiration and some time to do it, which is usually late at night xD;; If I have a whole free day I usually try to power out as much as I can without exhausting myself. It's definitely hard to find the time sometimes :/
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Todd- that's a great idea! I can just open the doc, scribble a few things, maybe in the future string them together. :3c

I also appreciate the suggestions of just doing whenever you can, little by little. Usually I try to plow through everything in one sitting but that just isn't happening recently. xD