Your video game genre(s)

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Varen

Your video game genre(s)

Post by Varen »

Shamelessly ripping off the anime/manga thread: What sort of genres interest you in video games?

Obviously, most of us like games from not one sole genre, but if you take a careful look at your collection, you might notice at least a thread. For me, it's RPGs (both WRPGs and JRPGs), Platformers and Survival Horror.

Platformers - For years, my family bought only family-oriented consoles and games, and as such, I was a Nintendo girl for many years until I got my first Playstation 2. As such, there was a lot of Mario, as well as a few other franchises like Banjo-Kazooie series, Sonic (when his games were ported to the Gamecube). I've also rented a few that I never got too far in like Gex the Gecko, some crappy SM64-ripoffs, Donkey Kong, Rayman, etc. Even after I got the PS2, I still obtained some platformers like Megaman, Sly Cooper, or Psychonauts. I'm not too invested in platformers as much lately, but they are still a part of my life.

RPGs - I don't know about the rest of you, but I play games to escape real life and enjoy being someone else other than me. Thus, RPG (role-playing games) allow me the best escape. Most RPGs involve a lot of world-building, fantasy, and developed cast of characters. As such, you end up feeling so immersed into the fictional world, that it makes a good distraction from the real world. I have some fair share of mediocre RPGs, along with popular franchises like Final Fantasy, Disgaea, and Tales of. Recently, I've dabbled in WRPGs as well like Dragon Age and Fable. (Sorry guys, I'm not much of a Sci-Fi person to play Mass Effect.) I've also played some not-so-popular ones like Mother 3, Luminous Arc, Fire Emblem, Mana Khemia, etc.

Survival Horror - I admit, I only really have a lot of Silent Hill games and Resident Evil 4. But I'm still interested in other games like Fatal Frame, Deadly Premonition, I Am Alive, AMY (sadly the game doesn't seem very good to buy it), and Siren. Still, there was always something so... intriguing about survival horror. I'm not sure why. I hate horror films - it just grosses me out more than scares me. But the games themselves? Almost relishing.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Aa-chan

Re: Your video game genre(s)

Post by Aa-chan »

There's been a varied pattern with me, consisting of platformers, RPGs, and fighters.

Platformers were my first experience. My parents bought a NES a couple of years after it came out (a bundle pack with the power pad, light gun, and the Mario/Duck Hunt/World Class Track Meet cart.). I remember just having fun trying to get Mario to move with the controller, and trying to get past that goomba on the opening level.

RPGs came next. Not too long after buying the NES and reading Nintendo Power (we still have the first issue), my parents bought the first Final Fantasy, and taught me about leveling up to fight. (I'd play my parents' file since there was only one save file on the NES. ^^;) When Final Fantasy II (also known as Final Fantasy IV) came out, needless to say I knew what to do, and ended up beating the game on my own. :D

Fighters came last, and are all in part to my ex-husband. :P He was an avid fan of the genre (Dead or Alive, BlazBlue), and, like a lemming, I got into them too.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

My 3 older brothers are all mega nerds when it comes to video games, so I grew up watching them play anything from King of Fighters to Final Fantasy to Resident Evil. In that way I would say I'm interested in any genre, but personally I've stuck with RPGs.
Varen wrote:... I play games to escape real life and enjoy being someone else other than me.
That about sums it up for me too. While I will certainly play fighting games and platformers on occasion because of franchise or character loyalty, I invest the most time in RPGs. Being able to go off on some grand world-saving adventure with a diverse cast is perhaps one of the most rewarding gaming experiences for me, after all.

Additionally, I've fallen deeper in love with the tactical RPG genre as of late, though I admit it's more of a resurgence in my Fire Emblem fandom. I like to think of it as a more colorful version of chess, and as someone who prefers turn-based combat in RPGs, this type of gaming is right up my alley. ...I should really try out some other franchises, lol.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Puppeteer wrote:Additionally, I've fallen deeper in love with the tactical RPG genre as of late, though I admit it's more of a resurgence in my Fire Emblem fandom. I like to think of it as a more colorful version of chess, and as someone who prefers turn-based combat in RPGs, this type of gaming is right up my alley. ...I should really try out some other franchises, lol.
Me too! I'm such a whore for those games. Even when they have terrible plots and the like, I just get hooked to the gameplay. XD Though - it has to be said that Fire Emblem is probably the best one out of that bunch, so it's just normal that it would be your gateway drug - it was mine, too...I always forget how much I love Fire Emblem. XD

I am also easily hooked to Super Metroid-style sidescrollers, but that might be because I have a thing for games that focus on exploration (see: Oblivion - I don't really care for the epic fantasy, but I adore to explore the wilderness).

Also, somehow - I tend to be attracted to both very fast-paced games (Quake III) and real time strategy games or simulators in which every game takes at least two million years before figuring out that I'm not winning this time. Mystery.

I am also the biggest sucker for puzzle games. I admit it...I've played more Tetris Attack or Dr. Mario than what I would have ever liked...
anon

Post by anon »

I play platformers because it's the only type of game I can play without sucking so much. Fighting games are fun because I'm a natural button masher but tell me to do a combo and I can't. Racing games? You'll probably beat me. Turn-based JRPGs? I'll be checking GameFAQs and running into spoilers because I have no idea what to do. Hahaha.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I stick to platformers for the most part.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Action RPGs are my favorite. They have the levels weapons and story of an RPG with the fast button action of an adventure game.

Classic turn based RPGs come in second.

Third is a 3 way tie between a strategy RPG game with a good storyline that makes the slower pace of battle worth it without being overly complex in the game play itself. Platformers: they were what I grew up with but I lost a lot of skill after they started making oddly shaped controllers that I couldn't put down on finger-game on them keyboard style. I tried to get used to thumbs and became semi-decent but it's just not the same of having a finger on each button at all times. Racing: I enjoy them more than platformers most of the time, especially the comical kart games like the Mario Kart series.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I've always been an avid RPG gamer since I was a kid (and my brother first introduced me to Final Fantasy): RPGs're usually the ones that satisfy me the most when it comes to the plot-gameplay ration. I love when a game have a nice plot and the gameplay need to be simple (simple, not easy) enough that it allows me to focus on the story without getting sidetracked.
Right now I'm working on playing the whole Breath of Fire series and Tales Of series.

Other than that I also like puzzle games of any kind, they're a good pastime when I don't have much spare time to play something with more depth (see: RPGs above). Recently I got hooked to the Myst series since it both has puzzle and plot elements, but the plot's very subtle so you can allow yourself to play it even sporadically and still full enjoy it.

The various Digimon/Pokemon are also good to pass some time in the same way.

Also recently I also began to play some Visual Novels (eh...play, I don't even know if I should call it that?), though those are mostly to appease my book-loving side since there's always so much to read XD
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I really like to play video games that make me think, so puzzle and strategy types are king. I also like to play adventure and rpg type games as well.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Eden

Post by Eden »

Action/Adventure RPGs - I prefer more action-oriented RPGs like Chantelise, Fortune's Summoner, most Zelda games, Parasite Eve and Bastion. I get incredibly bored with turn-based games and complex stories that have to span 4 discs. A few exceptions obviously, but majority rule. I prefer action.

I like a few RPGs like Super Mario RPG, Paper Mario...Final Fantasy 7 and 8...

FPS (first-person shooter) - Not every FPS are shooting all of the things. I really love the first-person aspect of games like Half-Life/2, Portal, and other games that are primarily first person. I play these on the PC because having a pointing device is absolutely crucial to accurate performance (a mouse) and keyboard. I like how I can adjust my dpi settings according to different games.

Roguelikes - Things like Nethack, Dungeons of Dredmor excite me with their endless possibilities of random dunegons, random items, and instant death. You always get a new game out of these no matter how many times you play them. The Binding of Isaac has roguelike qualities, but it's also more action-rpg oriented.

Survival Horror - Left 4 Dead, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, anything with a horror factor I'm all over that like flies on crap.

I tend to stay away from platformers because I suck at them greatly. I was never good at them and they don't interest me too much. There are also games that are the exception to this like Sonic the Hedgehog stuff, Rayman, Spyro the Dragon...
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!