Name meme

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Kibumie

Re: Name meme

Post by Kibumie »

Your collective:
*What is your current collective named after?
Minuet, I really love Victorian theme in general.

Your fansites:
*What are your fansites named after?

- for Fullmetal, it's obvious that it's from the title of the series. I was suppose to use Atonement but it was already used.

- for Soul Bound, I got the title from Alphonse's character itself which is "he is a soul bounded in an armor".

- for Little Black Lord, just like Alphonse, I got the title for Ciel's shrine from his character being a Young Lord with black and dark past. haha.

And more:
*How do you tend to pick names for your sites?
- I just get it from the character's story background I guess.
aminuet .。. king
Saya

Post by Saya »

Your collective:
What is your current collective named after?
SILVER and BLOOD (LOL) (first idea was silvermoon, bloodmoon ect. combination of were and vampire)

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change? Actually SB always was SB

If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after?
Bloody network (because vampires and werewolves)

Your fansites:

What are your fansites named after?
Butterfly - because it's Yuuko's symbol
Nel Mirino - because reborn is a hitman (translation is "in the bull's eye")
Obsessive Romance - because Misaki and Usami are what they are =)
La Fille Brave - in french, because Oscar is French (translation is "brave girl")
Eternal Flame - because Usagi is an eternal flame
Divine battles - the game in Angelic layer, has the "deuses" moving their "angels"
Skillful - because Kakashi is really skilful ninja
Freedom to choose - because Ace is the one who chooses what and where and how in his life
Martyr - because André is a maryr
Amazon - because Ziva is a warrior woman
Flame Spirit - one word: CHARIZARD
Every savage can dance - Pride and Prejudice, it's actually a quote from it =)
Moonless - because mugetsu means no moon

Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why?
Actually no...

Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online?
No, mostly NO TITLE till I decided

How do you tend to pick names for your sites?
Normally I try to see something that has to do with the subject, it's a quote, or from a song, I mean it's something that I see as a thing with the subject

Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites?
No actually not, it's from behaviors, symbols, songs, meanings of their name or something ect.

Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like?
one of my favorites is definitely Oh So Modern Jezebel. But I like lot of others too =)
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Your collective:
  • What is your current collective named after? Iris Noire, a character from Rune Factory. Also foreign names of my two favorite colors White & Black. (Er, Iris isn't exactly "white", but the character representing her does wear a lot of white soooo...).
  • If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change? I was young. Back then I thought it would be cool to have fandom-related or Wapanese names. I'm trying to shy away from that for obvious reasons.
  • If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after? I don't.

Your fansites:
  • What are your fansites named after? Let's find out:
    Heaven's Not Enough was based on a song by Steve Conte from Wolf's Rain.
    Bold & Delicious (pending renaming), also named after a JPop song.
    Fire Carves Scars named after (yet again) a song from Phoenix Wright: Justice for All's OST. It's the song that plays during the flashback of Case 2.
    Diva May Cry was a fan nickname for Bayonetta.
    Separate Ways is named after a side story mode in Resident Evil 4.
    Hitherto is a more "fancier" word for "Until Now", which is part of the lyrics for Silent Hill 3's main song, "You're Not Here".
    Eclipse is a stupid cliched poetic title for shadows and light, the premise of Persona.
    God Likes to Play Soccer is the only original title I came up with. It speaks for itself too. It's hard to be poetic for a premise so stupid!
  • Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why? Let's see... Right now, I'm pending a name change to my Litchi fansite. (If I ever feel the motivated to pick up BlazBlue ever again that is....)
  • Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online? A lot did, though I don't remember most of them now.
And more:
  • How do you tend to pick names for your sites? I tend to think of key words for what they represent and try to combine them together with... whatever pops up in my brain. Due to my weird standards, I also try to vary the title length. e.g. If one site title was long, the next should be shorter, and there shouldn't be too many two-letter titles, etc.
  • Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites? Often they are song-related, sadly. I'm trying to change that approach and come up with more original titles lately.
  • Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like? Oh So Modern Jezebel, Skydancer, Double Negative, Outlaw Torn, Love Liberty Disco, The Long Legged Older Man, Mind Your Sugar Levels, to name a few.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Your collective:

Zeruda is the Japanese pronunciation of the name "Zelda" the princess from The Legend of Zelda series. :D [s]It is also the name of my human paladin on World of Warcraft but that was after the fact.[/s]

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change?
My old collective from when I was hosted doesn't count so that answers that. *cough*

The Divinity Storm is kinda of a retype of "Divine Storm" a ret paladin ability on World of Warcraft lol.

Your fansites:

Soul Survivor was actually a mistype of Sole Survivor because I thought that was how it was spelled at the time and I don't feel like changing it, lol.
Chikara is the Japanese word for strength and I thought that fit Ike so I used it.
Grace is the translation of Karis' name and I like the sound of it and I feel it fits her character a lot.
From the Sky was just used from some fanmade lyrics of the song which I decided to use.
Transcend Time was something I thought that was super cool to describe the plot of the game. 8D
Seasons Change is actually a song that has nothing to do with Sawsbuck but I liked it anyway because the name of it fit the Pokemon.
Sentience is pretty straightforward. Data is a sentient android so yeah.
Emotion was something that I felt was important in creating a shrine and this was the result.

Yes, that was my Ike site before I made it into a shrine/fanlisting. The old name was rather lame. I'm also planning to change the name of my Shiki shrine when I have the time to work on it.

Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online?
Not that I can recall. Choosing a name is a pretty important part for me in creating a site.

And more:

It tends to vary on the subject. Sometimes it's a song, sometimes it's a describing word, sometimes it's something else.

Only that I don't use Japanese words so much anymore. Other than that, nothing really.

I'm sure there's lots but I'm drawing a blank right now. Doh.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Kiel

Post by Kiel »

:star: Your collective:

Londonboy.org is named after a song by 80's J-pop group REBECCA, which I only know of because Yuko Sasaki did a cover of it for a tribute album to them. It's a good song, totally 80's. I hope whoever remixed it for the tribute retired young, though. *shudder*

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change?
I used to have little-voodoo.net. I think I chose it because I wanted a "little-something" domain that sounded cute and eccentric, and then voodoo popped into my head. I gave it up a few months ago because I just wanted something new, I guess?

I don't, but if I did it would probably be "I'm not really European."

:star: Your fansites:

• Gorgeous Little Things is named after a bonus disc from an AbFab DVD boxset and Beautiful Day is the name of one of Miz's songs.
  • Bare Grace is a line in a song I came across on a lyrics database. I don't remember who sang it or what the song's title was, but I think it was a christian rock track.
  • One String Swing popped into my head because I was thinking about how VV Brown wrote her first album on a one-string guitar.
  • Bell, Book, & Candle is named after a B-track on one of Hitomi Yaida's singles. It's also the name of an old Kim Novak movie based on a stage play by John Van Druten. Trivia, trivia.
  • Boys Keep Swinging is named after a song by David Bowie, whose footsteps I imagine Jun will grow up to follow. I also just realized I have two sites with "swing" in the title.
  • World Intermezzo is kind of named after a track on the Radiata Stories OST called "War Intermezzo". I changed it because I thought world sounded more epic. Besides, war is a downer.
  • January Language, Gypsy Garden, Rated X, Devil Theory, and Glory Opera are titles I made up from scratch. Somehow.
I think the Hitomi Yaida and Radiata Stories lists are my only two sites (over a year old) that still have their original names. :blank: I'd always pick a name too quickly and end up changing it when it was time for a new layout because I never liked it enough. I'm happy with most of my site names now, though.

I've changed my mind about names midway through construction, if that counts?

:star: And more:

Usually I just toss around relevant words in my head until something comes together, but if that fails I start consulting song lyrics like everyone else. :D

Yeah, they're all really weird.

Samantha's ghost-lights.org is my favorite because it's so spooky and beautiful, and back when Shiori ran the Aluminum Seiren fanlisting she had called it Switchblade Mermaid, which is just absolute sex.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

->Your collective:

Crescent Moon, influenced by my love for the night and Sesshoumaru. Mostly the latter, haha.

N/A

Night of Discord network because, again, I like the night and discord (aka chaos) is so fun to watch. [s]I'm terrible.[/s]

->Your fansites:

Sesshoumaru's Castle - Despite him not really having a castle, it came to me so quickly that I loved it and it has been kept that way since.
4th Espada - I know, it's not that creative and now I want to change it to Despair or something else. Ulquiorra is basically the 4th Espada and, yeah....XD
Deranged - Because Rido Kuran is deranged, through and through.
Guardian - I forgot about this one D8 Pascal is more like Rapunzel's guardian.

Not yet but I really want to for Ulquiorra's. I need to brainstorm more.

I can't really remember XD

->And more:

I pick something that relates to them.

Yeah. Original, not original, original XP

All dangit! -shot-
Last edited by Camy on Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Kiel- Every time I read "Boys Keep Swinging" I hear Dory from Finding Nemo singing it... /random ^^;;
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

I'm procrastinating on site-making so: /brings back old meme

Your collective:
What is your current collective named after? redcrown.net comes from a song lyric in the first Dissidia's theme song; I liked the imagery and when it came time to move domains it was the best name I could think of.

If your collective used to have a different name, why did you pick the previous name(s) and why did you change? Elenen was the name of the world in my novel. After a while it didn't feel like a very good domain name. As for my other old domain names, rhapsodos.org came from Genesis Rhapsodos from Crisis Core, and syunikiss.org came from my favorite Malice Mizer song.

If you have any sort of collective subtitle, what is it named after? redcrown.net doesn't have one! Right now "the red crown network" works for me until I think of something else.

Your fansites:

• 20 years old - named after one of ONE OK ROCK's songs
• Anamnesis - dictionary-hunting found me a word that covered the concept I wanted, it basically means "reminiscence"
• Atropos - named after one of the three Greek goddesses of Fate, the one who cut fate's strings, and a fanfic I read by that name
• bittersweet love - coffee joke (bitter/sweet) + love (romance)
• Fracture - reference to how fragmented and broken Wash is
• Heaven's Requiem - name of a song on one of the Valkyrie Profile albums
• Light of Judgment - Kefka's ultimate attack, I never could think of anything better
• Never Stop Dreaming - taken from one of Mystina's quotes
• Shape the Future - it's the words that come up when you start playing a stage
• uncontrol - named for a Gackt song

Have you ever changed the name of a fansite? If yes, why? You know, I want to say yes, but now that I'm thinking about it I really can't think of any. I would like to change my Kefka site's name because nobody can spell "judgment" but I can't think of anything.

Did any of your fansites have some sort of "beta name" that was changed before the site went online? My dead Grimmjow shrine had a beta name (la pantera y su sombra) before it went online as Untamed.

And more:

How do you tend to pick names for your sites? It really depends. Sometimes I go for songs, sometimes I go for words or phrases I feel aptly describe the subject. Sometimes I end up on thesaurus.com for long periods of time and tear my hair out a lot.

Can you see some sort of naming pattern with your sites? I like one-word names, or names that aren't more than a couple of words. I like names with a lot of imagery. I'm picky about capitalization.

Can you name some fansites or collectives whose names you like? A looooot. For collectives, I always loved oceanflare.net, pacificdusk.org, fenali.net, reflera.org... can you tell I like pretty names. I almost always love fansite names, so there are too many of those to list.

ok ok enough procrastination. back to work for me.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lol Larissa: judgment can be spelled judgment or judgement. Both are technically correct. I remember getting deducted points off an essay in tenth grade Lit for putting an 'e' in judgment, and didn't get them back even after showing the teacher the word in the dictionary. I was so pissed. I like Light of Judgment for a name!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Yeah, I know, but when you pick it for a site name you have to actually pick a spelling, and then you get people constantly misspelling your site title! It gets annoying over the years :swt:

I am pretty attached to it after all this time, though, so maybe I'll end up keeping it if I can't think of anything else.
tonight fate is the