Quest-Based Games

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Todd

Quest-Based Games

Post by Todd »

Hey guys,

I'm just wondering if anyone has played any good quest-based games lately. I'm looking for ones on consoles (PS3, PS4, Wii U, 3DS/DS). By quest-based, I mean where you primarily take on quests like "Go slay 10 monsters," to level up. I've played World of Warcraft (PC) and Fantasy Life (3DS), both of which are quest-based, and I love them. Looking for more!
Cherri

Re: Quest-Based Games

Post by Cherri »

Hmm. Ragnarok Odyssey ACE has quests. It's one big quest filled with mini quest. Plus to upgrade weapons and armor you have to do Kill X number of monster.

I'd suggested Legend of Mana but the quests aren't like that but it's a bunch of quests too. Um lets see now what else is there? Yeah. That's all I have.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

Skyrim!!! Basically exactly what you asked for in your post. It's open world, often ridiculous, super fun. Would recommend, am planning on dropping another 100+ hours into it in 2016.

Dragon Age and Mass Effect are also really good, depending on whether you're in the mood for fantasy or sci-fi. As much as I still love Dragon Age: Origins, I don't think it's aged that well, and the two newer games play and look a lot better. The same could possibly be said for the ME series but the first game is still my favourite. Both series have a great world and characters to explore, too.

I'm also playing Fallout 4 at the moment and really enjoying it, although I've mostly spent my time building my base and talking to my dog. I haven't played any of the earlier Fallout games, but I hear good things about them too. I'm sure Larissa will arrive at some point to recommend them. ;) (Same goes for the Elder Scrolls games previous to Skyrim)

I wasn't super fond of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning, and I REALLY wanted to like it. I got bored it with quickly and then got annoyed that I got bored with it because they lift a lot from irish mythology which is not boring. Also has terrible accents. BUT, it's probably super cheap to get now and it is quite pretty to look at and the combat can be fun. You might enjoy it more than I did!

I also hear really good stuff about the Witcher series that you could check out, but I've not yet played them myself. They're on my long, long to-be-played list.

MMO wise - Final Fantasy XIV is super fun. I remember you asking me about it before but I can't remember if you ever did play it. It can be a little awkward to chat on ps3/4 depending on your set up, though. I do have a keyboard, but I use my ps4 from the sofa so it's just not super convenient.
a spoony bard
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

emerges from 100+ hours of fallout 4

did someone summon me

No but seriously, a lot of modern games follow this model. Honestly, just look through the list of open-world video games (or google open-world games) and see what specific genres catch your eye. Modern? Fantasy? Based on an existing franchise? (There are some great franchise games these days; I hear the Batman games are good. Also I heard a lot of great things about last year's Middle-earth: Shadows of Mordor but haven't played it myself.)

Something to keep in mind is with some series it's best to start with the first game in the series and go from there, and with others you can just pick up the most recent title. Emma brought this up with the DA and ME games and it's an entirely fair point -- the first Mass Effect is really rough gameplay-wise compared to ME2 and ME3, but 1) your choices carry over between games so you kinda have to play it if you want to play the series, and 2) ME1 has a really great story so it's worth playing.

I typically try to start as far back in a series as I can, mostly because it's really hard to go back later. Video games are always getting better, and in a series there's almost always gameplay improvements that make it difficult to start later in a series and then go back to the start once you find out "hey I really like this thing, I want to play more!" But sometimes that means you have to suffer through really clunky gameplay to get to the good stuff. I've struggled with a number of games for this reason.

If what you want is a game that's nothing but "get a quest, complete quest, get another quest, repeat", though, I think you'll be best off with MMOs, since that's pretty much their bread and butter. I'd echo Emma that FF14 is great, I played a bit of it last year and I know a number of people who have played a ton of it.
tonight fate is the
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Hmm, pretty sure I replied to this already...

Seconding and thirding all the ideas thus far; my addition is Marvel Heroes, a free-to-play Diablo-style game on Steam. While it's not a console game as requested, it is nothing but quests and quests (though it even has some fun MMO elements as well). It's improved SO much since its first release a couple of years ago, and I really enjoy it. If you're into Marvel Comics characters at all, it's worth checking out!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org