How important are fancy layouts

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
alexielnet

How important are fancy layouts

Post by alexielnet »

Because of the major financial ruin I am anticipating due to my medical bills, I will probably lose Alexiel.net in spring of 2013 because I won't be able to pay for hosting or the yearly name fee. I am naturally sad about this and have asked a friend to host me if she can but who knows. My question though is this: if, in order to cut down on space, would really simple layouts matter? Would people still care in general to visit? I guess my real question is, if I stop beating around the bush and just ask what I mean, is Alexiel.net worth trying save?
Eden

Re: How important are fancy layouts

Post by Eden »

Sure it is! I've known about alexiel.net since I started web design and it'd be a shame to have it die! If you really don't have anywhere to go and your friend cannot host you, try out my host Three-Words.net and Misaki would probably gladly host you on a subdomain. :) Her hosting is free!

Fancy layouts aren't everything. Sometimes simplicity is best (I often go with simplicity or if I am feeling it, I try something fancy but it's usually with CSS). It just depends on your skill level and even if your skills don't match up to everyone else's, it doesn't matter. I know many designers from beginners to professional. Everyone's talent is different. Just do what you know and if you want to learn something new, then learn!

To be honest, I have somewhat fancyish layouts and the space isn't that big a deal. Of all my sites I'm only taking up about 50mb of space with layout images and that's minuscule compared to most plans now. You need not worry about space these days, especially if you find a nice free host that can give you 5GB of space or more.

Please save alexiel.net even if it's moving to a subdomain and on free hosting. :) I'd love to see it be archived if you cannot work on it anymore. I really like visiting it!
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I think it is worth trying to save! As for the layouts, I don't think they are very space consuming unless you mean the archive with all the screen shots. You can use easy to find programs like gimp to compress png images so that they look good but don't take up a whole lot of space. Plus the code itself is just text, even a super detailed CSS file won't take up much room anyway and from what I've seen, you definitely have the skill to write awesome CSS.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

aaah definitely save alexiel.net - you have so many great shrines and it'd be sad to see them gone. I fully agree with Eden - subdomains and free hosting don't seem like such a bad choice, and last time I browsed the internet for free private hosts, there were at least three around that made a good impression on me, among them the one Eden linked to (though I don't know anyone personally, and bubble.nu is no longer free). I like your layouts and you'd most likely be able to keep them since free hosts do offer a good amount of space, but if you absolutely must, I doubt that a temporary text-only version of your shrines would deter many people from visiting them!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I don't think you need to remove your layouts. You'd be surprised how little space they make, especially your kind of layouts. Most places offering free hosting have plenty of space, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

And get better soon, dear. I wish you the best.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Even if you lost your domain, and your friend can't host you, there are a lot of people around here that would be more than willing to help host you! :) Todd hosts love-gala for me! But aside from that, your content is great so people would definitely still visit your sites, you have so many wonderful ones. c:
anon

Post by anon »

No matter what you think, alexiel.net is definitely worth saving! Like many others have said, it's possible to seek free hosting elsewhere. I can name a bunch of places off the top of my head that do provide hosting. Eden already mentioned three-words.net, but there's also bubble.nu and silencia.net . I have no experience with all of these places but I've heard many good things about them.

Layouts generally don't take up much space unless you're like, GRAPHICS OVERLOAD EXPLOSION, which I don't find your layouts to be. Have you summed up the size of all your files combined?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

First and most importantly, don't kill alexiel.net! Move it to a free host if you have to, but don't trash all your fansites!

As for what concerns layouts, I agree with everyone above in which I don't think they take that much space, so I don't think they should be an issue?...

...Wow, you know, I would host you myself if I had free separate subdomains because I really have waaaaaay too much space. Though, I'm sure all the options offered before are valid and worth to check out.

I hope you'll get better :<
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Yes, Alexiel.net is worth saving. A thousand times over. I'm sure there is a way to ensure the survival of your work in some form or another (subdomain, changed hosts, free hosts, etc.). Just hang in there, OK? We're all behind you. :heart:
Todd

Post by Todd »

Ahh! Don't delete your sites! If your friend turns you down, try other places. I'll never use all the space I pay for and can host. :) I'm sure there are other people too.