Jessie x James Dynamic Duo Site

Planning to create or to revamp a shrine and need some help or a second eye with your content? Post away!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Jessie x James Dynamic Duo Site

Post by Robin »

I've been working on my Dynamic Duos site (which I'm still incredibly hype about), but oddly I've had trouble finishing up and organizing its content. I feel like there is simultaneously too much content and too little, if that makes any sense. Definitely could use a few more pairs of eyes to look over my content outline and see what I can add/edit.

(Keep in mind, I am only pulling material from the first few seasons of Pokemon--mostly Kanto and some of the Orange League--for this site. I'm not familiar at all with how the show has gone on since then, and I frankly don't want to have to wade through all that to write about my fave Pokemon ship. xD)

Here's the current outline:

Introduction (single page)
- What is Team Rocket?
- The (Hilarious) Problem with Jessie and James
- Why They Are Chasing Ash & Friends
- Their Effect on the Show

Before They Were Team Rocket (single page)
- A Quick Note about Pokemon Canon
- Jessie's Backstory
- James' Backstory

First Adventures Together (single page)
- (covers Pokemon Chronicles episode)

The Team Rocket Duo (single page)
- The Pros...
- ...And The Cons
- Can't Forget Meowth

Romance and Other Issues (section)
- Sub-Page: Romance?
- Sub-Page: What They Mean to Each Other
- Sub-Page: Questions about Sexuality and Gender Identity (disjointed outline only)

The Partnership's Effect on Others (unwritten)

How Money (or the Lack of It) Affects Team Rocket (incomplete)

The (Unusual) Motto (incomplete)

Character Study: Jessie (outline only)

Character Study: James (outline only)

The Big Problem
I've got pretty much all of the first half of the outline organized and put together really well. The second half of the outline, however, is just not coming together into a cohesive whole yet.

Currently, my plans are to use the Team Rocket motto as the navigation, which is why the character studies for Jessie and James appear so late in the navigation outline above. It's a great idea and works pretty well aside from having character studies way down the list. That's only a minor annoyance, though, compared to the way the Romance and Other Issues page blossomed out into this whole giant section. It makes the rest of the site feel light on factual information even though it...isn't, really, now that I look at it.

I also don't know how I want to house/organize the 3 "homeless" essays (The Partnership's Effect on Others, How Money (or the Lack of It) Affects Team Rocket, and The Unusual Motto). These are all really great ideas for articles, but since they are unfinished, it's hard to know where to place them in the site hierarchy, and because they are not placed well in the site hierarchy already, it's hard for me to write them. Ugh, what a catch-22.

(And let's not get into the gender and sexuality article. I'm still not sure if it's just a bunch of Tumblr barf or not.)

My Questions for Y'all
- What can I add or edit to make this a more complete site?
- How can I make this approachable even for people who have not viewed the series?
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Lethe

Re: Jessie x James Dynamic Duo Site

Post by Lethe »

Nice, I love the idea of using the motto as a navigation/guide thing! Yeah, the first half seems really well-organized. :O

To address a minor concern of yours: Even the character studies coming at the very end of this is great (usually I prefer something like this towards the beginning or middle), because 1) they are usually perceived as a duo/trio, and it is through their interactions as a team that you get to know them as individuals, gathering impressions from all the cluttered information in their appearances, 2) you've already briefly talked about them individually in the second navigation point.

I think it's a bit difficult for me right now to give input because I don't have a good grasp on how long your pages are going to be, i.e. how much longer a "sub-page" is compared to the individual points i nthe single page sections you have. Would the three loose articles be about the length of the former or the latter?
  • If you need entire pages for those, I think it's okay to collect them into one catch-all navigation point precisely because you seem to have difficulty placing them elsewhere. If I'm not mistaken, that's the part of the navigation where the "To extend our reach to the stars above!" part of the motto goes, so that'd seem appropriate to me, too. You could name the page something like "All Around the Rocket" or something (lol I have no better suggestion right now sorry), since those three pages seem to concern simultaneously external and internal factors (how their actions as a duo affect their outwards presentation and impact).
  • If you anticipate those three articles to be rather short, I'd consider filling them into an existing page, namely "The Team Rocket Duo" and "Romance and Other Issues".
Regarding the first question: I don't know whether you're already covering this somewhere, but I'd love to see a line-up of Jessie and James' Pokémon haha... (I assume the information is also easy to retrieve from Bulbapedia if you haven't been keeping track.) I don't think the information would detract from the duo aspect of the site; you could even write about how their Pokémon synergize or represent their personalities lolol. Same with how Meowth may affect their dynamic or relationship!

I don't think you need to worry about making this (even more) approachable for those unfamiliar with the series. Jessie and James are iconic, and the way you laid out the first four pages already seems to make for a great introduction.

I'M EXCITED FOR THIS
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Jessie x James Dynamic Duo Site

Post by Robin »

@Lethe: Thank you for the thorough feedback! :D :D

I was thinking over the options of where to place the 3 homeless essays, and I think you're right, placing them under "To extend our reach to the stars above" makes sense. Though I might move The Unusual Motto around, maybe make The Team Rocket Duo a section rather than a single page...(My sub-pages are pretty long/planned to be long--I ended up with a slew of unexpected feels while writing xD)

I have covered Jessie and James' main Pokemon (Ekans/Arbok and Koffing/Weezing) briefly in The Team Rocket Duo page, and also did a little section on Meowth. The Pokemon info could easily be split off into a sub-page if needed, though, especially if I move The Unusual Motto to this section. (The other Pokemon they get are Lickitung and Victreebel, I think... will have to research that.)

Very very glad to hear that the organization of the first half is good so far! I was worried I had delved too fast into analysis and fan theories and not given factual information enough weight xD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org