Do you have a limit?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Puppeteer

Re: Do you have a limit?

Post by Puppeteer »

I should think I'm probably only limited by what I'm actually able to produce. My potential project list is probably approaching the 10 range, and I think if I continue to pursue this hobby long enough that's a fairly realistic goal. The subjects I'm looking at tend to be finite, though (for example, a character from a completed series), so I figure if I develop a site enough to my standard I would naturally move on to creating a new one and feel fine leaving the other static for a bit. In general, I'm sure it's something I'll get a better sense for when I actually create more shrines.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

For me the answer is yes. Currently I feel like I have too many (fanlistings also add to the strain, ugh), but I don't want to get rid of any of them and I have a couple more ideas in mind that I'd really like to make a shrine for.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Ava

Post by Ava »

What an interesting thought, Sarah! I never thought about shrine limits, and I find all these different philosophies on dormant shrines fascinating. Personally, I would be happy with as many shrines as possible. I currently have 7, but if I had 70, I'd think, "Great, I've provided something entertaining and/or useful for 70 different fan groups!"

Reading all your comments makes me realize that I have a "the more, the merrier" approach because of my view on shrine activity. I don't mind having dormant shrines because I don't mind visiting the dormant shrines of others. Many of my favorites are ancient shrines that have not been touched in ages, but I enjoy re-reading them for nostalgia.

A shrine's content is never too old to me, because there will always be someone out there that it is "new" for. :heh: And while I recognize that some of my shrines aren't up to par in quality for my current standards, I am content knowing that they were the best I could do back then, during that time of creation, under those circumstances.

Fanlistings are a different story though. :swt:
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I like this topic too... it's something I've though about before. :)

I don't know that I have a limit, but I don't tend to make new sites unless all of my current ones are up to my current standard. Even then, I noticed I only have time to run about three active sites. By active, I mean that they can still be updated and added to... I consider my other sites complete, and I don't really think of them when I think of my site work-load.

My current "active" sites are Breathe Drew, which I'd like to add more sections to, and Poltergeist which I am slowly adding to and rewriting. I'm working on bringing my Knuckles site back too, and that will be one I will likely continue to work on after it's uploaded. Once I'm completely done working on one of those three sites, I might make another to replace it in my work-load, lol.

Then there are sites I just make at random. My newest site, Requiem, is one I made at the spur of the moment. It's complete even though it's new, and sits in the back with my Magus, Sabin, and Reiko sites. If I can make complete sites like that that don't require much work after uploading, I don't mind increasing my site number to have them. :)

It's basically like Shiori said. It's about how many sites I feel comfortable keeping updated, and the more I don't have to touch much after they're uploaded, the more sites I'll have.

/tl;dr
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Limits? What are those? -shot-

I always have the rule of "If I love ____ enough, I shall make a shrine to show it". Mostly it's because of development and how amazed I become how much that character or series or relationship grew.

It also gives a good practice and challenges me on how to create the site and how to make it look. [s]Well, unless I'm feeling lazy.[/s]

Edit: Forgot to add that there are times I closed a site or two. For a special site like Sesshoumaru's Castle though, I kept it open since all of that work I put into it, and, even if I don't have a huge interest in the series anymore, without Sesshoumaru, I wouldn't have even made a site or landed upon Tea's "The Killing Perfection" and think "Hey I want to make one too."

Of course, there are sites that I simply won't close like 4th Espada, Deranged, Guardian, etc., even if they hardly get any traffic or don't really need much updated since each site I make are made with a lot of effort and love. Yes, so cliche, but it's true. [s]It's also good portfolio work -shot- I couldn't resist.[/s]
Last edited by Camy on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I don't think I have a limit really? I prefer having more. Problem is, I also prefer to have them in good quality. Though I can't bear to close most of the ones I no longer have interest in, I'd probably not wish to count them in my collective either.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I like creating new sites but having to keep them up to date is a little troublesome! (At least these days, back in the day I would update every single day!) But looking at what I have now, I have closed some sites because I felt I had "too many sites". Considering there are some sites I own that are static (simply because there is nothing to constantly update them with or I feel they are "complete" as they are), I wouldn't mind creating a few others. I'd like to have under 10 shrines in total. Personally, I think I'd be overwhelmed with any more.

If I had a site that I would need to constantly update with new information that took most of my time, I would not have as many as I do now.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Hmm, I've never thought about a limit before as the only limits I had were limit breaks. Hur hur. But anyway, I currently have 3 shrines I want to make as the others may never see the light of day (that might be a good name for the Hope site I want to make). As long as I can keep up with what I have I don't see a problem. I don't thinking could handle the 15. Currently have 3 shrines made, so that would be a total of 6 when I'm done. I think my limit would be around 10. That way if I find some I love I can make a site without going over. Really only make shrines to the things (or men) I love. Though I do try to complete a shrine before I move to the next.
;o; *** pew! pew!