Links

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mikari

Links

Post by Mikari »

As people make more shrines keeping up with their links pages becomes more difficult. What are your thoughts on that?

Do you have a separate link page at each of your sites or a single page where you keep all links in different sections?

Do you link your other shrines in the links pages of each of your shrines?

Are there shrines made by others that you link on more than one of your shrines?

Are there shrines that you wanted to link because you like them, but they didn't fit into the individual links pages of any of yours?

Do you have a shrine button wall where you keep links to your favorite shrines?

---------------------------------------------------------

I actually like maintaining links pages. I don't know why but I find it strangely entertaining. Although it is rather time consuming and it can get tiring if there are too many links pages to check with a lot of links. I really dislike broken links so I try to keep my links pages as up to date as possible.

Do you have a separate link page at each of your sites or a single page where you keep all links in different sections?

I have a links page on each site. I considered making a links page for everything and linking it from each site to a specific section, but then I thought it wouldn't look as good. Plus I didn't know how link exchanges would feel about having links in a separate section "outside" of the actual site, so I just kept my site specific links pages.

I decided to do this... I guess I just wanted to show my other sites, though I already have a link to my collective on each one.

Are there shrines made by others that you link on more than one of your shrines?

Yes, sites that I have exchanges links with multiple sites.

Are there shrines that you wanted to link because you like them, but they didn't fit into the individual links pages of any of yours?

Yes, plus I missed the little award things people used to give. I didn't want a schedule picking a site I like to award weekly or monthly. Sometimes I'll see a few fan sites I like in a day and sometimes I will only visit forums and fan work archives for months. So I just made a big button wall and put up a "award" sprite that people can place on their site if they want to show they are among the sites listed there.

It's brand new and it's called Shiny!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Links

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aw Mikari that thing is cute :D

As people make more shrines keeping up with their links pages becomes more difficult. What are your thoughts on that?
Actually I've never found it to be that much of a hassle. I will periodically do a link check for all sites and that's it, never thought of it as a chore...?

Each site has its link page, even if I have several sites for the same series. I prefer to tailor them to each site.

If they are related, yes.

Again, a Pokémon shrine affiliating with all of my Pokémon shrines and so on, yeah why not.

I GUESS I JUST NEED A BUTTON WALL HUH

not YET
I probably will with the next collective layout
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I second Dubious, that page is so cute! Imma grab a shiny! *-*

It's so hard for me to keep up with link pages these days. >_< Sites change and die constantly because the internet lifespan is so much shorter than the real world. Sites may live for years others for only months. And when I get around to cleaning up link pages I get so sad when I have to remove dead links. :( But I am glad more sites always come! I like to add new ones, too.

Usually, yes. This way people can go visit other similar sites if they like mine.

Hehe, yes. ;P

Sure! If they are in the same genre or we are affiliated in some way. Mostly links from other Amassment people. 8D

I used to have a Shrine-wall of shrines that I liked. ;-; I should bring that back but it was difficult to keep up with.

Above ^^
Todd

Post by Todd »

I do link checks on a whenever-I-feel-like-it basis. Generally this happens with layout changes, but on sites I haven't made a layout for in a while, I'll periodically update links, and I always update them if I find a new one to link. I don't find it much of a hassle.

I have a separate links page for each of my sites.

I link my other related sites in a "networked" section of my affiliates pages.

As for now, I have one shrine per series, and I only link related sites, so no.

Yeah. I've considered making a shrine wall for this reason.

Not yet. I'd like one eventually.
Camy
Administrator

Post by Camy »

Well, people do move on and loose interest. I'm quite used to it since affiliates have come and go the past years. I just get too darn lazy to open up Dreamweaver and Filezilla XD

The first one.

Of course!

No xD

There was a time, yes D:

No, but that would be fun to create~
I accept your challenge, "high prince", but I am no general.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

Separate page. I really gotta combine all my Tales sites' link pages together one day though blergh.

Of course!

For shrines in the same fandoms, yeah.

Yeah, I keep thinking of making a link wall with my favorite shrines regardless of fandom.

I do have one at my Ashe site that I link my favorite Final Fantasy shrines at! Needs to be updated tho.
Last edited by Michelle on Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

ahh whoops
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

(it's okay, I was already silently merging them XD)
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I personally think it was always hard to keep up with link pages. You have to go through and make sure they work or they aren't dead. And if they are dead you have to find them or try to find them.

Each site has their own link pages and some times they are broken up into separate pages depending on how many links and stuff there are.

Yes, I do. And I'm not ashamed of it.

Yes, some of them. If I like a site, I'm gonna link it.

Of course and so I linked them anyway.

Nope. I just click a bunch of links that get me to all my favorites because some how they are linked one way or another to each other.

Also, I find it funny that Camy mentioned people were too lazy to open Dreamweaver and FileZilla because I use both programs and I'm a bit lazy sometimes.
;o; *** pew! pew!