Dark Claws: Sneasel

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: Dark Claws: Sneasel

Post by Robin »

dubiousdisc wrote: OhHHHH HOW DID I NOT SEE THAT TYPO
Thank you so much! I'll fix it :D
(no what you talking about, it's how it's meant to be. WE POKEMON THAT HAVE TO EVOLVE! UNITE!)
<90s rap beat>
YO YO YO
WE POKEMON THAT HAVE TO EVOLVE
WHAT WHAT
CHECK IT OUT
</90s rap beat>
Lethe wrote:
Robin wrote: HOMG RESEARCHHHHHhhhhhdsklfjsdjflksjd
ZOMG IMAGES WITH CAPTIONS hoWWWW
ZOMG PADDING AND MARGINS ON POINT
HOMG EVERYTHING
I need an entire page or topic here at Amassment called #justhonestrobinquotes LOL The stuff she says in reaction to other people's designs and skills sometimes HAHA. (I get it though - the padding and margin thing. /bangs head against wall)
ROFL #overlyexcitedrobin more like XD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Lethe: EEE EEE EE eee ee

On the pictures: I am now very glad that I saved some pictures thinking "this is an interesting picture and one day will be useful". Like the Entei picture. I have been patiently waiting until the moment it would be relevant for YEARS.

Dark types: oh no I totally was not talking about myself. What would make you think that. (seven pm and woke up one hour ago)

The Chrome bug: that was NOT supposed to happen but huh. That's actually...kinda interesting looking. I'll investigate. Thank you!

And please go make that topic. I need that topic in my life.

(Also little side note: I wish I could have used the pictures of Sneasel and Silver that you sent me but the one that I liked best was so vertical it didn't work with the layout, so I had to reluctantly switch back to the one I had in the beginning. SIGH...)

Robin: whatever that song is I need it to exist
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

ALJSDLFJLSKDJFLKJSDF;;
OMGGG, THE LAYOUT. THAT ART. THOSE COLORS ARE SO BEAUTIFUL I DIE.

I love everything about the site, dubiousdisc! Your layouts are always so clean, beautiful and stylish. I'm always in awe of people who can pull of "big" layouts with big, readable text because it's something I definitely struggle with all the time and am still learning how to do.

I really like how you incorporated all those different shades of brown as well! It almost gives the site an overall sepia-look that speaks well to its age. With the lovely artwork you used, the header/sub-headers and the font of the content, it feels like I've just walked into a quaint little museum full of charming Sneasal antiquities.

Antiquities... like those IMAGES and CAPTIONS. It's great that you linked the bigger versions of the images to the ones used in the layout! I also like the different sorts of images you used, from the game to the anime to the manga to the Sneasal plushie (omg, it's adorable!!!). Despite how dissimilar they are, they fit really well with each other. Just—those PIXELS! I love it!

Aside from design choices (which again, are really awesome), the content was incredibly fun and informative to read. I especially liked reading about Sneasal's origins and loved how in-depth you went with it, covering mythos and even touching upon how its design has changed over the years.

Once again, I LOVE IT. Really nice work, as always! :heart:
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

This is truly mindblowing, and reading through Dark Claws (again!) completely made my day.

First of all, this layout. THIS LAYOUT. It's fantastic. (And your art is, as usual, extraordinary).

The introduction tells the history of the Pokémon franchise in a really fresh way. I'm a fan of Pokémon, but I'm not actually a BIG fan, as I have only played Fire Red (never finished) and I've been making slow progress on Pokémon X; my interest in the franchise was born primarily from the anime and comic books in my childhood. I noticed your response to Larissa that you were insecure about the intro, so I'd just like to say that, from the perspective of a fan-but-not-a-huge-nerdy-fan, the introduction was extremely informative and pleasant to read! It also introduced Sneasel brilliantly! When I got to the bottom of the page and saw the block of info on Sneasel, introduced simply by the question "What will they look like?", it felt like it was the first time I had ever seen that Pokémon in my life.
Sneasel in nature wrote:So, are Dark-types really evil? Or are they merely dark?
This might not have been your original intention, but this paragraph is really hilarious to me, because you're really playing the devil's advocate in here, to the point that it kind of feels like you're defending Sneasel in a coutroom taken directly from the Ace Attorney universe. Besides, as I was reading that line, I immediately and unconsciously remembered the Not Evil, Just Misunderstood trope. And I was just a tiny bit disappointed when you didn't finish the paragraph with the trope name!!!!!!!

I don't mean this to sound critical at all though; most of this page is conjectural, and I love everything about it! (I love trying to dig into fantasy universes and thinking about how things that weren't approached by the official material might work in that context).

Another thing that I'd like to say is a hUGE thank you for adding a lot of images to your site. I feel like it's REALLY important to illustrate what you're saying, and the images (and captions) you provided did the job beautifully.

Congratulations on the revamp!!!!!!
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Lucas omg thank you ;_;

I guess you make the perfect test subject for the introduction section, so I'm very glad to hear that it works!

No, that paragraph was just as tongue-in-cheek as you read it :P
Full disclosure: what was more so on the foreground of my mind when I wrote the silly DEFENSE OF DARKNESS was a story I'm writing which is pretty much about the same thing, so when I wrote that phrase in Dark Claws, I was first and foremost poking fun at myself for totally having a "type" that I gravitate towards in media. So, actually, if the silliness is somewhat conveyed, then I succeeded in my intent to be making an actual point in a very silly way. I mean, it IS in all seriousness true that it's not fair to call a carnivore evil just because it needs to eat other animals to survive...but, while this is an actual point, I am saying this about a freakin Pokemon, for crying out loud. XD

But you know, let me just add that link to the trope page. I can't believe I didn't think of it when I was writing it.

I'M GLAD I COLLECTED SO MANY RELEVANT PICTURES. For that you also have to thank Denise who a. inspired me with the way the puts pictures on her pages and b. found a lot of the images for me because I was lazy she is just better at that than me.

Thank you again!

Andrea: Thank you!!! :D
Hee hee, meanwhile I think I struggle with the opposite - having things be smaller and not as everywhere. XD To each one their own I guess?

I'm so glad to hear that you like the colors because that was the part that I fretted over for the longest time. I kept alternating between more grey and more brown. In the end I went more towards brown because I'm making grey layouts all the time and, besides, I did pick the colors from the picture I was working with. I'M JUST VERY RELIEVED TO HEAR THIS

Thank you so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Dubs- I want to leave a coherent message here but I've only read a portion of your shrine so far. So this comment is more of a placeholder than anything! But I really love what I read so far and I really love that you are breaking this out into something a little bit more personal and interesting. I really love seeing different and personal approaches as to why you like [the thing] and creating a new experience.

I say experience because it feels like, from what I read, that I am getting to experience what you felt but also is mixed in with a bit of my own feelings from that time. It's really a unique and enjoyable moment reading about how you felt when Dark types were first revealed, haha!
Jae

Post by Jae »

Love the coffee color scheme! What I love even more is the use of space. The layout's very balanced and no corner goes wasted.

A small thing I noticed: under history, "after a few months in which the the Pokémon Trading Card Game was ... " has an extra "the." Also, the pun that follows in the same paragraph made me laugh. You have such a pleasant, conversational writing style!

I like the way you divided up the content. By starting with Sneasel's history, I became invested enough to read the lore behind its design and concept, and then seeing how you parsed its other appearances was interesting. I didn't know what to expect from a Pokemon that's fairly minor, but you hit so much content that I learned a lot (I had no idea STAB was a thing, either). You don't miss a single detail; from its history among players all the way to its origin as one of Silver's Pokemon, you've truly brought everything together!
fayth
I come and go, but I'm around.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

The the the!
Wow, I've never made so many typos in one site, what happened!

Thank you so much, I'm glad you enjoyed! :)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Dubs this is awesome! I've read through some of the pages and it was a lot of fun. I also might be having a little too much fun with the rollovers on the index eheh.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.