"Shrine" or "Fan Site"?

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Robin
Events Staffer

Re: "Shrine" or "Fan Site"?

Post by Robin »

COOL!! Fansite kits are completely new to me but I am def checking these out!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Stefi
Administrator

Post by Stefi »

For one of the last sites I revamped, I purposely strayed away from using the word "shrine" and switched to "fansite" in an experiment. At the time, I was working to cater to a more general audience, and using "fansite" seemed to return more hits from search engines. I will probably stick with this method, though I did leave a sentence about what it specifically is (a shrine) in the about section.

Like many people here, I refer to our sites as shrines within the community. Though I do feel a bit guilty not using "shrine" on my actual sites considering I started a whole community called "Character Shrines". I do it for the #SEO, I guess.

Side note, if you haven't seen it already, you guys also might find this interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fansite
However, several [fanlistings] are a part of a bigger fansite, used to amplify the fanbase's experience.
YOU'RE WELCOME, FANLISTINGS. (i'm kidding don't hurt me)

Anyway, this always a really interesting discussion that I've seen pop up over the years! It's really great to see what people think and what's changed, especially when time goes on.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

WOOHOO WE HAVE A WIKI PAGE!
Fiona

Post by Fiona »

I use the words "shrine", "fansite" and "tribute" pretty much interchangeably, although back in the days (early 2000s), I would never call the character shrines I built "fansites", I tend to call them "tributes" on the actual sites themselves but would refer to them as "shrines" on my collective domain, kinda weird, I know. lol.

I used to think of "fansites" as somewhat well-known websites focused on news and general information rather than any particular character (for example, something like ffwa.eu) so I was hesitant to label my own character shrines as "fansites". However, nowadays, I do call my shrines "fansites" on the actual shrines themselves because my concept of "fansites" changed after Wikis became a thing. I think it's because I associate Wikis with my old concept of "fansites".
"Spread your wings in the stormy winds..."