Red Pin, Blue Pin (Chandler & Monica from Friends)

From April to the end of December 2016, have courage to start and share your in-progress works! Release your shrines unfinished, and use community enthusiasm and feedback as fuel to keep working on them.
Lethe

Re: Red Pin, Blue Pin (Chandler & Monica from Friends)

Post by Lethe »

Looks like you're doing great with regular updates, despite being occupied with your daughter haha!

I like the red and blue touches at the top and bottom of the layout, and your "A Little More" section seems like it's going to contain diverse content! :D I'm not at all familiar with the subject, but I think those are interesting things to read about from the perspective of someone who is.

I have some suggestions if you're interested? If not, or if you disagree, just ignore the following! I also understand you've transferred some things over from your phone and that this is still under construction, so no pressure!
  • I feel like the name "trademark quirks" doesn't really fit the character descriptions that are part of the basic profiles. The information you provide reads more like general personality traits and issues rather than "quirks" or "trademarks" to me, so to label them as such feels a bit odd. :O Though I'm only commenting on this as someone not familiar with the series - if "quirks" are something central to Friends, maybe you could split the information up a bit?
  • I like what you write about on the "Psychology of Mondler" page, especially because it shows how the characters affect each other over the span of the series, and how they support each other in their daily life. The page is a bit hard to follow though, as you jump around a bit. Your first part is about facing relationship challenges together and maintaining the relationship. Then follows a part about Monica's weight, which is very interesting, but it doesn't seem to be connected to Chandler or their relationship at all - at least at first. I think the part where you talk about control and impressing her mother (probably in response to not being the parents' apparent favourite?) is connected to that, but at first sight, it can look like a jump in topic.

If you make the "jump"/"separation" clearer, as in, breaking it up something, it might make it easier on the visitor? A horizontal line, a sub-heading, bolded words, something like that. :> (I know you've made a bigger paragraph margin inbetween, but the introduction part about "women and relationships" seems like it belongs to the first point made about relationship maintenance, whereas the last paragraph on the site is not separated from the "control" issue the same way.)
  • I like the first quote on your quote page because it's about the actor behind one of the characters - it's a neat introduction to your shrine subject for those unfamiliar! If it's not too much of a pain, I think the other quotes could benefit from one-sentence "introductions" that provide the context for the quote haha. It needn't be about the story of the episode itself, just, what's motivating them to say things. Is it an argument? Comfort? Pointing something out that the characters aren't aware of?
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Thank you for the detailed suggestions. Wow, it looks like you've actually read through it all. I really appreciate the effort. You're definitely right about the flow (or lack thereof). I can tell looking at it that I was just brainstorming in my phone and didn't edit enough.

I'll be cleaning it up and fleshing it out soon. I may divide the profiles, actually. Leave the basic "stats" on that page (like a fact sheet from a teen magazine in the 90s), then get into the deeper things as focused topic pages. Monica's weight and how it affected her personality, for instance, could be its own page/essay.

Thanks for the guidance, I really do love reading the suggestions. That was what I most wanted when I heard about the Construction Zone. :)

Lethe wrote:Looks like you're doing great with regular updates, despite being occupied with your daughter haha!

I like the red and blue touches at the top and bottom of the layout, and your "A Little More" section seems like it's going to contain diverse content! :D I'm not at all familiar with the subject, but I think those are interesting things to read about from the perspective of someone who is.

I have some suggestions if you're interested? If not, or if you disagree, just ignore the following! I also understand you've transferred some things over from your phone and that this is still under construction, so no pressure!
  • I feel like the name "trademark quirks" doesn't really fit the character descriptions that are part of the basic profiles. The information you provide reads more like general personality traits and issues rather than "quirks" or "trademarks" to me, so to label them as such feels a bit odd. :O Though I'm only commenting on this as someone not familiar with the series - if "quirks" are something central to Friends, maybe you could split the information up a bit?
  • I like what you write about on the "Psychology of Mondler" page, especially because it shows how the characters affect each other over the span of the series, and how they support each other in their daily life. The page is a bit hard to follow though, as you jump around a bit. Your first part is about facing relationship challenges together and maintaining the relationship. Then follows a part about Monica's weight, which is very interesting, but it doesn't seem to be connected to Chandler or their relationship at all - at least at first. I think the part where you talk about control and impressing her mother (probably in response to not being the parents' apparent favourite?) is connected to that, but at first sight, it can look like a jump in topic.

If you make the "jump"/"separation" clearer, as in, breaking it up something, it might make it easier on the visitor? A horizontal line, a sub-heading, bolded words, something like that. :> (I know you've made a bigger paragraph margin inbetween, but the introduction part about "women and relationships" seems like it belongs to the first point made about relationship maintenance, whereas the last paragraph on the site is not separated from the "control" issue the same way.)
  • I like the first quote on your quote page because it's about the actor behind one of the characters - it's a neat introduction to your shrine subject for those unfamiliar! If it's not too much of a pain, I think the other quotes could benefit from one-sentence "introductions" that provide the context for the quote haha. It needn't be about the story of the episode itself, just, what's motivating them to say things. Is it an argument? Comfort? Pointing something out that the characters aren't aware of?

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant.com - home of my stuff
Twitter: @FandomSavant
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

aaaah I'm really relieved haha, I wasn't sure whether you were looking for suggestions or not! :heart: I love it that people work on their shrines even when they're not on their laptop/PC - brainstorming on phone and paper are such a nice way to keep on track.

I was thinking about the divide for the profiles, too, but I think you could leave some of those things there while expanding on them in essays. Without the information that's currently referred to as "quirks", I think the profiles would look very empty, and not give visitors any kind of introduction to the characters at all! I do like it the way it is right now (just slightly rephrased to make it a proper introduction), because when I reached your "Psychology" page, I saw that it built on what you had already introduced.

Another idea would be splitting up those personality traits into short sub-headings on the profile page, and talk about each thing in one introductory paragraph? (Especially for things that might not get their own page.) Example for Monica: relationship with parents, weight and relationship to food, control and organisation

I'd love seeing a page on weight! Just from looking at your psychology page, I could tell you have a lot to say about it, some of which is personal.
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

I've made a few edits, with more to come. Thanks so much. :)
Lethe wrote:aaaah I'm really relieved haha, I wasn't sure whether you were looking for suggestions or not! :heart: I love it that people work on their shrines even when they're not on their laptop/PC - brainstorming on phone and paper are such a nice way to keep on track.

I was thinking about the divide for the profiles, too, but I think you could leave some of those things there while expanding on them in essays. Without the information that's currently referred to as "quirks", I think the profiles would look very empty, and not give visitors any kind of introduction to the characters at all! I do like it the way it is right now (just slightly rephrased to make it a proper introduction), because when I reached your "Psychology" page, I saw that it built on what you had already introduced.

Another idea would be splitting up those personality traits into short sub-headings on the profile page, and talk about each thing in one introductory paragraph? (Especially for things that might not get their own page.) Example for Monica: relationship with parents, weight and relationship to food, control and organisation

I'd love seeing a page on weight! Just from looking at your psychology page, I could tell you have a lot to say about it, some of which is personal.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

Lethe

Post by Lethe »

Looking great, Patricia! I understand what the quotes are getting at much better now haha. Nice job with the quote boxes too. :>
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Lethe wrote:Looking great, Patricia! I understand what the quotes are getting at much better now haha. Nice job with the quote boxes too. :>
Thank you! I thought it was less... run together, so to speak, if I did the boxes. :)

I'm at a stand-still with this site at the moment, because I'm trying to finish a fanlisting whose deadline creeped up on me! But once that's up, I'll be rolling along again. ;)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Okay, I'm back at it now that my Phil Hartman fanlisting is up. :)

I've finally added the Monica & Richard page (to the "A Little More" section). I also made a lot of edits and additions to the "Psychology of Mondler" page (including headings) that I hope give it more focus and clarity.

Hi! I'm Patricia.

FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

* I added a media/fun section. It only houses a couple of 100x100 icons for now, but I hope to expand it soon. Screen grabs, other icon sizes (and more 100x100, of course)... that sort of thing.

* More linking buttons. I have all the main sizes now: 50x50, 75x50, 88x31, 100x35, 100x50 and 200x40.

* Oh, and also, even though I've submitted it to the Dynamic Duo challenge, I'd like to keep posting here as I build it up. I hope that's okay. :)

Hi! I'm Patricia.

Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I really like this because it's a topic that is different from what I usually gravitate to. I'm not really into Friends but I appreciate reading everything you cooked up on the topic. The page about their issues is really interesting. I'm thinking that I would really enjoy some more of your thoughts about what it is about them that you like. What traits are most appealing to you? Are their certain elements of their personalities that you can relate to? If so, what? These are just some things I was wondering as I was skimming through the pages. :)
FandomSavant

Post by FandomSavant »

Destinie wrote:I really like this because it's a topic that is different from what I usually gravitate to. I'm not really into Friends but I appreciate reading everything you cooked up on the topic. The page about their issues is really interesting. I'm thinking that I would really enjoy some more of your thoughts about what it is about them that you like. What traits are most appealing to you? Are their certain elements of their personalities that you can relate to? If so, what? These are just some things I was wondering as I was skimming through the pages. :)
Oh! You know what? That's a great point. I relate very much to parts of both of them. And my marriage is similar to theirs, in a way, because my husband is my best guy friend. :) I really should address those things. Thank you!

Hi! I'm Patricia.