Influence and inspiration

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Megan A

Re: Influence and inspiration

Post by Megan A »

Was there a certain person or group that inspired you to get into making shrines?
Like Lethe, I actually lurked around shrines for a bit! My favorite ones were Rinoa's Rebelling Princess for Rinoa (FFVIII) and Janice's Lilac for Garnet (FFIX). There's also a Yuna one that had a beautiful splash page with music from the game that I'd visit regularly. They were my first experience with shrines, and I thought that their layout design, content, and just everything was so magical. I made sites but nothing relating to fandoms until I got into fanlistings. I have a secret, unfinished Jade Curtiss shrine which was my first attempt at something like a shrine, but it's embarrassing and not very good. :X At the time, I wasn't aware of Amassment or any other communities dedicated to shrines though, and I didn't finish and was never happy with it.

After making that shrine though, I did disappear for a few years and came back to make fanlistings when I noticed my favorite Tales of Symphonia character was available for application. Then Megan told me about Amassment, and Amassment overall really helped inspire me to get back into shrines even though it took me awhile to finish my first and second ones. I was really inspired by Todd to get into making shrines, and I don't think my first two shrines would exist without his inspiration.

When currently working on your shrines, do you get inspired by certain shrines?
Yes! There have been times where I have been unable to find motivation on my own. Both shrines and people motivate me a lot! To name some individuals, I am always inspired by Samantha's designs and analysis sections, Megan's media sections and enthusiasm for her subjects, and Crystal's personal touches upon all of her shrines. I've also been writing content for some JRPG characters, and I've been really inspired by what both Emma and Larissa do with their Final Fantasy shrines. But I've browsed and been inspired by so many shrines.

This might be strange, but to be REALLY specific, I am really inspired by Lethe's index pages! Her introductions are really thorough and provide a great insight on what her shrine is about and what she hopes to accomplish.

How does the rest of the community impact your end result?
I want others to enjoy reading through my shrine as much as I enjoyed writing it so I love feedback and take it very seriously. I love that there are people I can go to for beta reading if I am uncomfortable with my writing for a specific section and even help with layout design / coding. Being part of the community has really inspired me to improve both my writing and design skills which I've been able to apply to other aspects of my life.

I still have a long way to come with my own self-confidence in my creations, but being part of this wonderful and welcoming community has taught me to be more confident.
Anise

Re: Influence and inspiration

Post by Anise »

Was there a certain person or group that inspired you to get into making shrines?
I got into making shrines years and years ago when I had friends who were interested in making websites. I actually got to know members of the Spiral fandom. I got to know Ayumi from clynefaction.net because of her Blade Children shrine and from there got involved with the online TCG groups and then one thing led to another and here I am.

When currently working on your shrines, do you get inspired by certain shrines?
When working on certain subjects I will admit to reading on shrines to similar subjects to see what other people have done with it. I'm especially inspired by the analysis others write because you all have such wonderful writing skills and often find that I need to try and slow down so as to not ramble and make typos. I definitely enjoy writing but it's probably not my forte.

How does the rest of the community impact your end result?
I think it encourages me to make shrines (and to get back into making them) because even if I'm not active all the time I have someplace I can come back and work on things when I have the chance.
The Second Guardian Network ☆☆ Esperits.ORG