Save the World & Braveheart

From November 2015 to August 2016, create a shrine or shrines to celebrate a dynamic duo! Lovers, enemies, brothers, sisters, parents, and close friends contribute to a character's being. Explore the fandom and the relationship from another side.
Lethe

Re: Save the World & Braveheart

Post by Lethe »

Congratulations again on finishing Chrom, Crystal! I know how long you've been wanting this shrine. It's great that you decided to release it even while it's still incomplete in various regards as well. <3

Your layouts are usually so colourful; it's nice to see something muted this time!

I do agree that Lucina's shrine is more character-focused. Chrom's so far reads as complementing Lucina's especially in terms of story, which is nice! I also agree that there's more emphasis on relationships on his shrine, and you write plenty about how others relate to him or think of him.

What I say next is probably because you're not fully done with Chrom yet, and because Lucina's has many more sections, and I hope you don't mind me saying so: I think it'd be nice to see more from Chrom's perspective and seeing what makes him tick in the remaining pages! (Will probably come more naturally with "Leader" and "Brother", I assume.) So far, some parts feel slightly like an extension of Lucina's shrine, so it'd be great to see some more of Chrom's personality and feelings - Chrom as the one acting, rather than the one observed or pulled along by either Lucina or Robin.

Question: Under "Friend", you write
For simplicity's sake I am going to be referring to Robin as male here, just because it's easier to discuss, plus I think there is more to be said about male Robin than female Robin anyway.
and it makes me wonder why - and I assume that other people not familiar with Awakening would wonder about it too, when reaching that part of your shrine? XD It's been a while for me, but would you mind explaining since I'm curious? (I know there's the whole marriage stuff that you can get into if you play as female Robin, but I don't remember whether any of the other dialogue changes, though I assume the support convos do.) I feel like perhaps, if you don't plan on discussing it on the shrine itself, leaving "plus I think there is more to be said about male Robin than female Robin anyway." in might confuse readers while not adding much.

I'm looking forward to your "Leader" page, especially since you stress the transition within that role as a reason you like Chrom so much! :D
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Thanks Lethe! Hopefully I can answer all your questions. Ahem.

For the Chrom's perspective thing I am going to go into a lot of detail with that in the Leader section. I haven't entirely decided how I'm going to go about this yet but I have a few ideas in mind I want to talk about.

I understand where you're coming from about the Lucina relationship thing. I don't know how else to go about it though.

The support conversations between female Robin and Chrom really aren't anything special and hardly worth talking about. As for the supports between male Robin and Chrom there is an explanation as to why Chrom does what he does (err if that makes sense). I feel there is more connection there which is why I went that path. I suppose I could somehow try to make it clearer for those who are unfamiliar with Awakening. Also just writing "he" or "she" instead of "he/she" or "they" is a lot easier to work with.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I think I noticed that you started a lot of sentences from Robin or Lucina's point of view, which is why I got that impression. No worries though, the "Leader" page might strike the balance. <3

Yeah, I got your reasoning for the pronoun thing, and was mostly curious what kind of characterization or background male Robin received compared to female Robin to make you phrase what followed. :> If you clarify it later, I'll be sure to drop by again!
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Ahh it's supposed to be from Chrom's point of view so I may have to figure some things out.

There really isn't that much that's different between male and female Robin aside from maybe how a few lines of dialogue are said.

Thanks for all your input!
Aku

Post by Aku »

I am v e r y slowly catching up with the forum so I apologize for the delayed response! I have seen you talking about Lucina & Chrom on Twitter for god knows how long and know how passionate you are about FE, so, congrats on what you've done with these so far!! <3

Firstly, I really love the designs for these shrines! I think they're quite different from what I'm used to seeing from you and I can tell you pushed yourself with these. I really think it shows! The typography, colors & simplicity of it all is really on point.

One thing I really like about Chrom's shrine is the way you've broken it down through his roles: I feel that your navigation alone speaks volumes about Chrom and who he is, and (despite having played the game) I understand right from the get-go that he's a multifaceted character. It's a more interesting way to think about a character, especially one like Chrom, who plays so many different faces in the story of Awakening. I like that you thought about him thematically rather than under more cliche shrine sections. (I also so agree on your thoughts regarding Chrom--part of his appeal is that he's not just some stuffy royal, but one acts & treats everyone as a human being. ;w; And as a big fan of Sugita and someone who played the game in Japanese, I can say firsthand that I really enjoyed him as Chrom! He's an actor that does well switching between very serious and very playful, haha.)

I also really enjoyed your symbolism section on Lucina! The butterfly + transformation idea is super spot on and I've thought over it myself before in regards to her, such a pretty metaphor. <3

Overall awesome work! *_*)b I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining pages for Chrom.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Thank you so much Aku! ;-;
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Hi, Crystal! I'm saving to read these for after I finish the game, but I wanted to mention that they both look amazing! The matching layouts are awesome. I really like what I can see from the navigation on Chrom. Just based off of it, I can tell that you approached a character shrine in a really unique way. I'm really glad to see that his shrine is online now. Great job on finishing! :)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Thanks Megan! Chrom still isn't finished yet but I'm hoping to find time to do so soon. I have so much going on right now. x_x
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

Aaaah, OMG. I thought I commented on this, but I don't see a post of mine anywhere in the topic?! In any case, these shrines are FANTASTIC, Crystal! I'm such a sucker for father/daughter relationships, so I adore these two together.

The complimentary layouts and navigation are awesome! I love the paper texture and how clean everything looks. It's simple, but elegant. Your font choices are always excellent, and these sites are no exception.

I read your Lucina shrine in the past, and what I love about it is how much information you pack into each of your different sections! My favorite are "Explore" and "Symbolism"; I really enjoyed reading about Lucina/Marth and her association with the butterfly. Also, I ADORE the quote you used in the page head/title; it's one of my favorites!

Echoing Aku, I really like the way you structured Chrom's shrine, organization each section around the important aspects of his character. ALSO, I see now that you finished it for Shrine Revamp 2016, so I'm going to mosey over to your topic there and scream some more, ehehe.

Awesome work, as always! :heart:
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Haha thanks Andrea! :D