Adieu (Nagisa Kaworu of Evangelion)

From August to the end of October 2016, revamp your existing shrines to bring them up to your current standards! Add new content, refine existing content and sweep your shrines for any errors.
Masao
Host

Adieu (Nagisa Kaworu of Evangelion)

Post by Masao »

:sob: :sob: :sob: aaah finally done. This revamp has been planned for YEARS, but I'm so glad this event finally gave me to push I needed to actually do it.

:star: Changes:
- new layout
- read over and rewrote parts of every page
- some are just fixing typos and awkward sentences
- others had more significant rewrites or additional content, most notably: INTRODUCTION, THE THIRD CHILDREN

I rushed through the editing of the later pages, so if there are any glaring typos, please let me know lol. Many thanks especially to Lethe for proof-reading through my mess.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Stefi
Administrator

Re: Adieu (Nagisa Kaworu of Evangelion)

Post by Stefi »

Damn girl, you literally updated everything! Beautiful layout (as always!), and the link rollovers on the navigation are absolutely amazing :heart: Every time I roll over them it blows my mind away, haha!

Congrats, and job well done!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Ahh this is awesome! :D I know nothing about the subject but the layout is so pretty. *_*
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Shinju

Post by Shinju »

Yessss!!! :heart: :star: :music:

I’m very proud of you! ;w; :heart: Your updates are on a roll! :heart: :music: I know I told you already but I love your design! The images and textures are great; it sets this mysterious atmosphere for Kaworu. ;u;v Seconding Stefi with the navigation hovers! Since the background image moves up, it makes me think about Jack and the beanstalk |D; The Third children is my fave page of course. :blush:

Congrats again on your revamp! :music: Great job churning through the last pages! :heart: :star:
There's no stopping the heart once it falls.
Andrea

Post by Andrea »

AAAHHH, congratulations on the revamp, Masao! It's absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Ugh, I LOVE the layout so much! I adore the color schemes of all your layouts a ton, especially when you use red/teal/black together; you pull it off so well all the time. The images and textures fit the mood so well and give the shrine that end-of-the-world-apocalypse-hell vibe. I love the fonts you used and all the patterns as well!

Although I've visited Adieu plenty of times (to stare at the pretty layout and design, haha!), this was the first time I read through the entire shrine and just... WOW. The amount of information and analysis is just incredible! I love how everything is condensed nicely into their dedicated sections.

As someone who has long vowed to watch/read the series but has yet to (aha...), the introduction really drew me in and summarized everything nicely; the glossary was also really helpful as well. The section about Kaworu's name and the episode title was fascinating to read. The wordplay and the significance of his name is so lovely and clever.

I also like how you noted the difference between anime!Kaworu and manga!Kaworu early on; at first I was puzzled by your interest in manga!Kaworu as anime!Kaworu sounds like the sort of character I'd love immediately, LOL. But after reading your reasons and—of course—the entirety of your shrine, I grew to really love the manga version of Kaworu, with all his selfishness and all his desires.

My favorite page is definitely "The Third CHILDREN" (***OMFG, MY BAD***). Just the way you open and close it with the scene with the kitten and Kaworu's death is EXCELLENT. UGH. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I loved reading about Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and how it evolves throughout the story. And the quotes you used throughout the page are so, so fantastic; I really have to pick up the manga and read it.

I also loved reading the "Then kill me with that hand" section as a whole. It served as a fitting conclusion to this wonderful shrine, and I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Kaworu and how they changed over time!

Despite not knowing the series very well, I didn't find myself lost in all the different terms; although I may not have understood what each term was referring to specifically, I found myself following the story and series of events easily. Well done!

There were a few typos I noticed; my suggestions are in [bold brackets], but feel free to totally disregard them.
Needless to say, Shinji was left aghast[,] remembering the only other time someone made him feel this way was the old Ayanami Rei. (The Third Children)

He experienced part of Rei's love for Shinji, and the sensations they [brought were] foreign to Kaworu. His fascination with these feelings was what drew him to Shinji, though Shinji was mostly repulsed by Kaworu at this point—not remotely close to love, as [he] was in the anime version. (The Third Children)

When Kaworu made him feel uncomfortable, like in the shower, or when he declared he wanted Shinji to love him, Shinji ran away [instead of facing] the problem. (The Third Children)

Though in reality the Ayanami Rei that Shinji [had] grown to know actually died in that battle, and the Rei that "survived" [was] really another clone, the third Rei to exist in the story. (The Third Children)

In this instance, he displayed the most childish aspect of his personality—not at all like the anime version, which portrayed [him as] caring and supportive, empathetic to Shinji's situation. (The Third Children)

After Shinji used Kaworu's room to escape the pain of Rei's possible death, as well as [Kaworu's] failure to obtain Shinji's love, Kaworu met SEELE for the last time before setting off to do his duty. (Evangelion Unit-02)

Since Unit-02's soul [had] shut itself away, he could easily control it. (Evangelion Unit-02)

When SEELE sees Kaworu for the last time, before they [send] him off to perform his destiny, they ask, "You have a sour face. Is something the matter?" (Evangelion Unit-02)

He wasn't mindless in his pursuit of completion, though perhaps we only believe that because of his human shape, which [enables] us to empathize with him more. (Adam, the first Angel)

For much of the anime and manga, the main cast of characters [was] led to believe they were fighting the Angels to prevent Third Impact. (Third Impact)
Man, all the Biblical/religious allusions make me want to read this series so badly.

Everything is well-written and I adore the layout to bits! I absolutely LOVE this shrine and really loved learning about Kaworu and his significance in the series. Now I'm off to see where I can read this manga and sob over it, omg.

Excellent work, Masao! I always love seeing new things from you, and this revamp for Adieu was no exception. :content: :heart: :star:
Masao
Host

Post by Masao »

Stefi, Crystal, Shinju:
Thank you so, so much! tbh the more I look at the layout, the less satisfied I become, but I think I just need to chill. I'm really happy I switched layouts, and while I think I could make it more readable, it's a marked improvement from the first layout.
Andrea wrote: As someone who has long vowed to watch/read the series but has yet to (aha...), the introduction really drew me in and summarized everything nicely; the glossary was also really helpful as well. The section about Kaworu's name and the episode title was fascinating to read. The wordplay and the significance of his name is so lovely and clever.
:sob: :sob: :sob: I'm so glad, especially since I wrote this for people already familiar with the series, and skipped over a lot of basic premise stuff.
Andrea wrote: My favorite page is definitely "The Third CHILDREN" (***OMFG, MY BAD***). Just the way you open and close it with the scene with the kitten and Kaworu's death is EXCELLENT. UGH. I LOVE IT SO MUCH. I loved reading about Shinji and Kaworu's relationship and how it evolves throughout the story. And the quotes you used throughout the page are so, so fantastic; I really have to pick up the manga and read it.
lol that was the cutest typo! The kitten scene bothered me a lot when I first read it, but as harsh as it was, it really had a purpose. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. That was one of my favorite parts. :sob:
Andrea wrote: There were a few typos I noticed; my suggestions are in [bold brackets], but feel free to totally disregard them.
aahhhhhh thank you so, so much. My eyes were really starting to spin with how many times I rewrote, edited, and spot edited. I'm so glad you caught those. I went back and fixed them, and rephrased a few bits to smooth out the awkward inconsistency with the tenses. Hopefully I caught them all, but if there are more, please let me know. :heart:

Thanks again for taking the time to write this, your feedback was really helpful.
THE FATE OF DESTRUCTION IS ALSO THE JOY OF REBIRTH.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Ooooooo awesome! Congratulations on a job well done--I can see and feel the love, time, and effort put into this strikingly beautiful site. The new content is powerfully written and flowing, and you make Kaworu feel like a super major character! :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Oh my gosh, well done on this Masao!! :star: Unfortunately I can't read through the shrine due to spoilers (I haven't watched Evangelion yet), but the layout is absolutely breath-taking! Great job!
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Yay!! ;_; This whole shrine is gorgeousssss. I really love the layout. It's a nice design, and all of your content is really nice and easy to read! I read through a bunch of the pages despite not having much familiarity with the subject, and it was still easy for me to follow! The way you've written about the character and his choices is really powerful. It was really enjoyable to read. I also think I am going to check the series out too!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

AHHH! Congrats on getting this revamp up! It looks great and reading through the new rewrites were wonderful! The Introduction is particularly well done and helped me to grasp a lot of what was being discussed. Even though I did see the episodes with Kaworu (just a few of the actual Eva episodes I had seen) they had always confused me but your shrine really gives me the backstory and detail I crave to actually figure out this character.