Digimon Thread

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Digimon Thread

Post by Destinie »

Omg I used to be so into this when I was younger. I loved both Pokemon and Digimon and had so many shrines to them. I used to run a Gomamon shrine called "Puddles" for years when I was younger. I miss that shrine, it was so fun. ;-;

Anyway, I miss Digimon! Someone reminisce here with me!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: Digimon Thread

Post by Sarah »

Yay, Digimon! I loved that series so much. It's one of the first anime I really got into. I bought the trading cards and little figures and even a Gomamon plush (which I've mentioned in the figures thread). I remember looking forward to watching it every Saturday, aw man. Those were the days!

My favorite human was always Joe. I was attracted to his nerdiness, I guess. lol. Gomamon was my favorite Digimon. Not sure if it was because he and Joe were partners, or what. I always thought he was the cutest, so maybe that had something to do with it. I also loved Veemon and even ran a shrine to him a long time ago. And who else.. Oh yeah, Renamon! I love foxes, so I loved Renamon a lot. I had a shrine to her, too. I only watched series one, two and three. I could never get into Frontier or any of the following series.

I've never seen the original Japanese versions, just the dubs. But I still (obviously) enjoyed them. I wonder how many differences there are between them.. And as for the movies, I've only seen one of them. I think it's the very first one.

This is bringing back the memories. ;_;
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I watched the first Digimon Adventure and liked it. I wasn't as much of a fan as with Pokemon, but it was still lots of fun. Saw Digimon 02, liked it too, all except the ending. It just felt so off, so not digimon. I like the "secrecy" of the digital world in the first ending the second's ending seemed to bleh. Plus I didn't like most of the final pairings, they should have just left that as a mystery. Overall, I liked Digimon Adventure best. Didn't watch the other series. I was too used to the first characters, the originals still made appearances in 02 so the transition wasn't so big, but I didn't feel like starting a whole new series with different characters. It felt repetitive at the time. Maybe I'll watch one of the later series if the character designs catch my attention.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I liked Digimon as a kid. Not as much as Pokemon, though. I saw the first season of the Digimon kids and was always fond of Izzy. I liked the second season and really liked Davis because he's sort of underrated and I liked Ken as well. I liked the third season and really liked Rika and Renamon. And the last Digimon I saw (and didn't completely finish) was the one where the kids turned into digimon themselves. Of course these are all dubs from Fox Kids so I don't know anything about the Japanese versions at all.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Aw Digimon...I watched the first three seasons when they came out :> Adventure, I remember it fondly both because of its cast and visuals. I loved everyone in there (Fun anecdote: the way he was dubbed, I had mistaken Matt for a girl! And I was so disappointed to find out he wasn't).
02, I found it cute, although it wasn't as interesting as Adventure for me, don't know why. Tamers, I loved it at the time even though it had all sorts of censoring and blah. I liked everyone in there (especially Impmon, but that goes without saying), and at the time I guess I identified a bit with Rika as I was going through a similar phase, haha. I think Renamon's design and character also left a mark.

This should go in the other thread of influences, but I have recently rewatched Tamers and now I am pretty sure that Beelzemon served as a prototype of sort as for my current interests and fascinations. I mean...the badass wild type...leather-clad...metal as fuck...uh oh...

Sarah: I didn't know you had a Renamon site, aw!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Sarah wrote:Yay, Digimon! I loved that series so much. It's one of the first anime I really got into. I bought the trading cards and little figures and even a Gomamon plush (which I've mentioned in the figures thread). I remember looking forward to watching it every Saturday, aw man. Those were the days!

My favorite human was always Joe. I was attracted to his nerdiness, I guess. lol. Gomamon was my favorite Digimon. Not sure if it was because he and Joe were partners, or what. I always thought he was the cutest, so maybe that had something to do with it. I also loved Veemon and even ran a shrine to him a long time ago. And who else.. Oh yeah, Renamon! I love foxes, so I loved Renamon a lot. I had a shrine to her, too. I only watched series one, two and three. I could never get into Frontier or any of the following series.

I've never seen the original Japanese versions, just the dubs. But I still (obviously) enjoyed them. I wonder how many differences there are between them.. And as for the movies, I've only seen one of them. I think it's the very first one.

This is bringing back the memories. ;_;
OMG SARAH! All the things you just said are all the things I loved, too! I was OBSESSED with Gomamon and I had the hugest cartoon crush on Joe for YEARS. |D; /nerd What was your Renamon shrine? I am wondering if I visited it! :D/

I've only seen the first 3 and a portion of 4. 4 I didn't like because it was kind of similar to fanfics my friend and I wrote. (oh yeah we had fics lol!)

I was watching the 02 subs on Hulu a year or so ago, and actually, I didn't like it as much as the dub. It was much more serious. Which was ok but I kind of like how the dub filled in the slow scenes with the kids and their digimon joking around off screen. xD;
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

My favorite human characters were Mimi and Matt. From 02 I liked Ken and Davis was cool too. For Digimon I liked Gatomon best.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

dubiousdisc wrote:Sarah: I didn't know you had a Renamon site, aw!
Yeah, I wish I had kept the files for it! I would love to bring it back or at least look at it again.
Destinie wrote:What was your Renamon shrine? I am wondering if I visited it! :D/
It was called Foxglove. :) As I told dubious, I wish I had kept it saved somewhere. I would love to see how it compares to the way I do shrines now. Plus, it would be totally nostalgic.
Also, glad to know I wasn't the only one who crushed on Joe! I don't know how many fanarts and screencaps of him I printed off the computer, lol.

..That makes me think of more Digimon memories. When Digimon was popular, me and my friend (who was also into the series) would go to the library and spend so much time on the computer, visiting Japanese Digimon fanart sites. We would even print out some of the pieces we liked, heh.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I think I might have visited Foxglove before. Though I didn't know much beyond Adventure and 02, I do remember looking through a bunch of sites for the other series.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Sarah: If you remember the URL, you can try seeing if the Wayback Machine has it saved!