Different Authors

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Todd

Different Authors

Post by Todd »

Do you tend to read a lot of books by one author, or just a few authors, or do you like to read a lot of different things by many different people?

I'm pretty terrible in that when I find an author I like, I'll read most of his or her library and won't read other things. I try to force myself to read books by a lot of different people, though, because I want to be a writer, and it's important and good to experience a lot of different styles.
Saya

Re: Different Authors

Post by Saya »

Actually I don't do "Authors", example, while I love Pride and Prejudice, I'm not really fan of Emma or Sense and Sensibility.

Aside the fact I found out that if I love a book by an author, that doesn't mean I love also other books by said author, because most of the times I just find out I don't like them. Example: I love the first book of the Inheritance trilogy, but I had problems finishing the second and third.

When it comes to manga, well that's different, sometimes it happens that I like a manga by one author and none other stuff they did, but mostly it happens that if I loved one series, I'll love others too.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Same as Saya, I don't really focus on authors too much. There are some that I like but their books tend to differ if they blend into other genres. I would pick up a book by an author I liked only to find out that I didn't particularly enjoy that book.

I'm pretty picky about what kind of fiction I read. I write as a hobby so I am more particular about what kinds of styles of writing I want to read versus authors.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I try to read as much as I can of everything I can. A lot of times I end up reading collections of short stories with several authors. I get a general idea if I like the way they write or not. Honestly, I am not a fan of a lot of authors, but I still keep trying to give them a chance. I will read several books they've written to be sure I dislike them. I have stacks and stacks of books. Although, when I do find something I like I try to consume as much of that particular author as I can.

I'm very hard on contemporary authors though. I just haven't found any that I really like. I want to be a writer one day, so I see where short stories have a lot of pull as a way of becoming familiar with different story telling techniques. But I have also been known to rant and rave about odd pacing in a novel. I think for me, part of it comes from the "hidden" things that I can find in a novel. There's always so much for me to learn!
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I like to read a lot of things by many different people. :) For me it is more about the story than the author, usually. For example, I am a fan of Harry Potter, but I've read summaries of J.K. Rowling's newest book, and it doesn't sound like something that would interest me. And I like The Hunger Games, but I've never bothered to look into Suzanne Collins' Underland Chronicles. All that being said, I will gladly read a book by an author I am familiar with if I happen to find the story appealing.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Eden

Post by Eden »

I tend to just read whatever. I'm not a fan of everything by an author because they do have their hits and misses. It's like anime and manga as well where I won't be a fan of everything they produce. Really depends on the author though.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I usually do "series" rather than "author". If I see that I particularly like a book from a certain series I stick with it and only when I've finished I go in search of something else.
Most of the time I pick just randomly stuff or depending on what my friends suggest me to read.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
anon

Post by anon »

I have to admit, when I go look for a book, if it's an author I recognize and enjoy the works of, I will at least try it. It's like, "Oh, so-and-so wrote this, so maybe I might like this other one he or she may have written." Often times I do enjoy it anyway even if the genre is different and the storyline is a 180 from how I remember the author's works.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Joe wrote:I have to admit, when I go look for a book, if it's an author I recognize and enjoy the works of, I will at least try it. It's like, "Oh, so-and-so wrote this, so maybe I might like this other one he or she may have written." Often times I do enjoy it anyway even if the genre is different and the storyline is a 180 from how I remember the author's works.
That's what I do too to some extent. If I see an author I recognize, I'm a lot more likely to try out their other works! On the flip side, if I see an author I don't enjoy, I'm less likely to give the book a try. I try not to be picky, but I can be very fickle.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.