Colors & palettes

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dragoneyes

Re: Colors & palettes

Post by dragoneyes »

It really depends mostly on the subject or on the image I want to use for the header for the most part. Usually I tend to avoid extremely bright or sparkly layouts simply because I don't like them and they hurt my eyes on the long run.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I pretty much use whatever works best with the image I plan to use for the layout and the colors available in it. I've also started to like using this color (#0D0D0D) with the lighten effect in my layouts lately, especially with the darker ones. xD
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Ava

Post by Ava »

I didn't realize that I had a pattern with colors until the good people at Remixers on livejournal pointed out that my layouts tend to be a mix of aquatic, pastel, and neutral shades. It's interesting how third parties can notice things about your sites that you don't yourself.

I use to pick out random Colourlovers palettes too, and build a layout around my choice. After a while, I stopped going to that site and just picked colors that reflected my mood - which is probably how I ended up with mostly aquatic-pastel-neutral designs.
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Ava, that's a great way to make layouts, based on your mood. I've done that with writing but have not perfected listening to that instinct when I make layouts. I'm still learning!
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Ava

Post by Ava »

I tend to think of it as lethargy, but a comfortable sense of instinct sounds good as well. haha.

I'm glad to hear you're learning to be more relaxed with design. In the mean time, your extra efforts are appreciated as well. :)
Dreams are meaningful when you work toward them in the real world.
If you merely live within the dreams of other people, it's no different from being dead.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I love playing with colours! I love making things bright and contrasting...although I usually end up toning things down for layouts. I'm always afraid that it'll be too much. I never usually begin with a set colour scheme in mind, and sometimes just through messing around with the colours completely changes the layout too.

I love bright colours in everyday life. I can't abide everything being neutral coloured!
a spoony bard
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Ava wrote:I didn't realize that I had a pattern with colors until the good people at Remixers on livejournal pointed out that my layouts tend to be a mix of aquatic, pastel, and neutral shades. It's interesting how third parties can notice things about your sites that you don't yourself.

I use to pick out random Colourlovers palettes too, and build a layout around my choice. After a while, I stopped going to that site and just picked colors that reflected my mood - which is probably how I ended up with mostly aquatic-pastel-neutral designs.
I think I am doing that too. I have tried to make brighter, more colorful layouts, but in the end they don't feel "me", and I end up changing them to something that revolves around more subdued colors. With these things I never know if it's stagnation or staying true to yourself, heh.