Content Stencils

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Content Stencils

Post by Destinie »

So I signed up to do a shrine for the Paperback marathon and it got me thinking: I want to do something different with my content.

Do you have Content stencils when you write a shrine? I usually do. I usually break the shrine up into Introduction (generic information for the topic at hand), Analysis (These are my essays that start to dive down and break the character apart and I babble about stuff), Media (Screenshots and scans and the like), and finally any site-related goods.

I think the only shrine where I sort of broke out of this stencil was Flight where I kept the first two but I scattered images through the site. On top of that, I also focused on talking about the character's growth and traits as I walked through the story, trying to make it more progressive.

For my newest one, I want to try something similar to what I did with Flight. I just noticed that I always tend to default to this way of doing things or organizing my information. I want to know how I can organize it more linearly or more interesting. I do like my usual method because you can pretty much read any essay and its not really connected to each other.

How do you go about trying new ways to write your content?
Cherri

Re: Content Stencils

Post by Cherri »

I use different stencils as it were. Like Blazing Dynamo and Gentle Baker have similar set up. It depends if my site uses a monomyth or if its a fan site. Though I do try to make them different. I generally use the basic for general info about a character, then media or images and stuff, site related stuff is another section and the another section for game data. Similar to your stencil actually. :heart: just noticed.
;o; *** pew! pew!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I tend to do the same thing. I do it for organization purposes. It's easy to work with. Since I use the monomyth in most of my sites the break down and organization is the same. On other sites I try and keep things grouped together. Working on the literature event I'm trying to do something a little different. But, I happen to be a creature of habit. So, the outline and wire frame are the same basic stencil as usual. I think at the point it's just a sort of "have to do it this way" thing for me.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I used to do that but nowadays I do everything that's in my power to avoid it. XD So I try to just have an introduction and then write about the topic at hand in any order I deem fit.
Aku

Post by Aku »

I think any "stencils" I use would be introductory sections (like about the series/character), but from there I try to let the subject dictate what I'll write about. (Gintoki can't have a section dedicated to his discography like Ranka does, and Ranka can't have a section dedicated to her crotch LOL). I think it makes for a more interesting way of approaching content to think of it in terms of the subject, and not in terms of what you'd stereotypically write about on a shrine.
anon

Post by anon »

I actually don't have much to elaborate but I do use "templates" or "stencils" -- basically the same content structure. I think as long as the title of the section speaks for itself it should be fine for myself. I kind of don't like sections that are named all special and stuff because it gives me no clue as to what really sums up that part of the site.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I usually do basic explanations and general information, then go on to the different aspects that define the character, relationships and interactions with other characters and media such as icons, pixels, wallpapers, cursors and the like. All my shrines have pretty much the same pattern.
Todd

Post by Todd »

I don't know if I really have a stencil. I used to!

I am finding things that work though, that I want to try to incorporate on all of my sites. This includes a spoiler-free basics section with a page on the series, character, and other relevant information. I also want to include an "exploration" section on most sites for me to post more opinionated pieces, or pieces that don't relate so closely to the character and series. My Sabin and Reiko sites have them so far. I'm adding one to my Tidus site next.
Saya

Post by Saya »

I don't think I use stencils, do I?
I try to give as much information as I can find (which normally isn't much, because I choose subjects that are difficult to shrine). So i don't know actually ._.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Saya, I tend to pick some obscure shrine subjects too. But then I end up doing something similar (for instance the monomyth is sometimes better known than my shrine subjects). So I still end up using a stencil. I find its easier to do some basic sections then expand later if I need it.

Although I do quite enjoy editing and revising.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.