Guestbooks

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
anon

Re: Guestbooks

Post by anon »

Sorry to bump this topic but I've been using a tagboard as a guestbook and I really feel like it's disorganized.

I just rediscovered what guestbook script I used back in 2004 and it's Active Scripts' Active Guestbook. It was really easy to customize and organize but the developers stopped updating it, which is a complete concern because this means that there may be security holes now. In fact, I think the reason why my website often got computer viruses injected onto the index may be because of this script.

I've taken a fascination to some Japanese guestbook scripts because I like how they're set up, but I'm kind of unsure of which one to choose.

My choices are narrowed down between the two:

CGI Pal's guestbook (demo): It lets visitors customize their entries by choosing which icon to display it with, which is a gimmick I find completely adorable. It doesn't let me respond to entries though.

Tacky's Room's kakikomitai (demo): It lets me respond to entries, which was a factor I considered in picking out guestbooks because I always feel bad when I get all these nice comments from people and don't return any. Each entry can be customized by picking a certain color to display it with but it looks like it can get spammed easily. I did a Google search on other websites who used kakikomitai and almost all guestbooks I found were spammed... including the one on Tacky's website.

None of these options allow private entries but I'm fine with that, and they're for non-commercial use, which is perfect for me. So which one do you think is good?
Sofia
Administrator

Re: Guestbooks

Post by Sofia »

Joe wrote:So which one do you think is good?
Uhm…though choice. I think I would opt for CGI's guestbook; I got so many SPAM messages when I used to have a guestbook (aaaages ago) that I had to take it down. I've been thinking about bringing it back now that I have actual websites instead of just fanlistings, but I'm not sure someone would sign it XD

Back to your question Joe…does CGI guestbook let you see your visitor's email address? Because if that's the case you could send them an email instead of replying on the guestbook (which you cannot do with this script).
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.