Solitaire

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Todd

Solitaire

Post by Todd »

After a loooooong time offline, I decided to rebuild my Knuckles site from the ground up. I rewrote every section, added several new articles, and even created a small media section. I finished it today, so it's officially back online!

Saya

Re: Solitaire

Post by Saya »

OMG HE'S BACK!
Awesome job Todd, I really love the layout, and yay, I have to re-read it all!
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

FUCK
YEAH

I just went through everything and YES, that is AWESOME. I really like how you put together things that made little sense to me, hah. I had never thought that not even Knuckles is really aware of what is the deal with the Emerald, his character makes a lot more sense when you point that out.

About Knuckles' species, I am still as wtf as the first time I saw him on the fact that he's supposed to be an echidna when he looks nothing like it, but it could be argued that Sonic doesn't really scream hedgehog either...

But I digress. I wanted to add - as for his color, I think it might also be that Sonic is blue and Tails is yellow, so it was kind of a logic choice to have the third main character be red. Also, if the Emerald is green, Knuckles is the complementary of green - I'm sure there must be an aspect of that too. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there's also the fact that both red and green are colors linked to life, although in opposite ways. Green is regeneration and new life, red is blood and war, and Knuckles is substantially the guardian of the Emerald, so he's ready to shed his own blood for the Emerald...yeah, I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, lol, but I thought it was worth to point this out.

Also, that cake had to be the most awesome thing ever. You can consider that comma a poetic license...XD

Lastly, the layout is probably your best work so far. :D BUT I AM ALSO A SUCKER FOR THINGS INVOLVING CIRCLES AND THE COLOR RED so yeah.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I've not played a Sonic game since Sonic 3, and I'm always surprised at how massive the canon is. You have a lot of info here, Todd! And it looks great too. :) It's good to see Solitaire back online.
a spoony bard
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:FUCK
YEAH

I just went through everything and YES, that is AWESOME. I really like how you put together things that made little sense to me, hah. I had never thought that not even Knuckles is really aware of what is the deal with the Emerald, his character makes a lot more sense when you point that out.

About Knuckles' species, I am still as wtf as the first time I saw him on the fact that he's supposed to be an echidna when he looks nothing like it, but it could be argued that Sonic doesn't really scream hedgehog either...

But I digress. I wanted to add - as for his color, I think it might also be that Sonic is blue and Tails is yellow, so it was kind of a logic choice to have the third main character be red. Also, if the Emerald is green, Knuckles is the complementary of green - I'm sure there must be an aspect of that too. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but there's also the fact that both red and green are colors linked to life, although in opposite ways. Green is regeneration and new life, red is blood and war, and Knuckles is substantially the guardian of the Emerald, so he's ready to shed his own blood for the Emerald...yeah, I'm sure I'm reading too much into it, lol, but I thought it was worth to point this out.

Also, that cake had to be the most awesome thing ever. You can consider that comma a poetic license...XD

Lastly, the layout is probably your best work so far. :D BUT I AM ALSO A SUCKER FOR THINGS INVOLVING CIRCLES AND THE COLOR RED so yeah.
Thanks, DD! I really like the layout too. Lately, I've been trying to put things in layouts that mean something instead of just using random images that look cool.

It's hard to draw connections with Knuckles because his canon really is all over the place. He has a family in the manga, and in the games he's the last remaining echidna. In the Bioware game, he meets one more, but that's beside the point. I found consistency in the Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles storyline, and the storyline in the Sonic Adventure games, and went with that. It's the ORIGINAL Knuckles, after all. Everything this one does is for that damn emerald. lol

Really interesting thoughts concerning the color red! Would you mind if I borrow some for a new section? I've been wanting to expand on some things, and I have some new articles planned already. :D
Emma wrote:I've not played a Sonic game since Sonic 3, and I'm always surprised at how massive the canon is. You have a lot of info here, Todd! And it looks great too. :) It's good to see Solitaire back online.

Thank you, Emma! Yeah, the Sonic canon is huge, and can be confusing to an outsider. You have to know where to draw connections. That's a big reason I wanted to make this shrine. I want people to understand the original Knuckles I love better.
Saya wrote:OMG HE'S BACK!
Awesome job Todd, I really love the layout, and yay, I have to re-read it all!
Thanks, Saya! Hope you enjoy it!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Do you think you will be tackling the parts of the canon that don't make sense or will you just leave them out?

Of course! I just wanted to spawn more content, after all. :B
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Wow, excellent job, Todd! Both in terms of layout and content. I especially enjoyed the birthday cake page (lol of course) and the article about echidnas was a really neat touch, too. So good to see it back, congrats on the re-opening!

It also made me realize I don't think I've ever used Knuckles. (I have one of the Sonic collections for my PS2.) Next time I play I'll have to try him out!
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Todd

Post by Todd »

dubiousdisc wrote:Do you think you will be tackling the parts of the canon that don't make sense or will you just leave them out?

Of course! I just wanted to spawn more content, after all. :B
I do want to hit on the Bioware game, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood, as I think they tried to expand on his already existing canon, and the game is really fun! I just have yet to finish it and didn't want to write about something I haven't experienced myself. I'm playing it right now, actually.

It seems like all of the games with story follow this version of Knuckles, so as they make more, I'll cover them. I won't cover the comics or cartoons because they are just too much of a stretch, and I haven't read/watched them myself.

I don't like that he's focused on isolation and guarding the Master Emerald in Sonic Adventure, and then snow boarding with a whole bunch of characters in Sonic Riders, for example, so I just choose to ignore that he's in those spin-off, non story-based games. :P At least for my shrine.

Sarah wrote:Wow, excellent job, Todd! Both in terms of layout and content. I especially enjoyed the birthday cake page (lol of course) and the article about echidnas was a really neat touch, too. So good to see it back, congrats on the re-opening!

It also made me realize I don't think I've ever used Knuckles. (I have one of the Sonic collections for my PS2.) Next time I play I'll have to try him out!
Thank you, Sarah! lol That was the biggest waste of a page ever...

You should! He is tons of fun, despite his shortcomings.
anon

My name is Knuckles, I don't laugh, I don't chuckle

Post by anon »

YO B-BOY THAT SHIT'S JUST NOT THE WORD, YA HEARD

Can I mention how glad I am that you brought this site back? So nostalgic!! I forgot you were going to do so a while back. I dig the new look, hehe :D
Todd

Post by Todd »

Thank you, Jo! It was one of my first sites, and I missed it.