Mobile versions

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
anon

Mobile versions

Post by anon »

Has anyone tried/have needed to make mobile versions for their websites? I imagine this hasn't been so considering a lot of people here have a lot of browser-friendly sites, but how would you accomodate for people who can't use tons of javascript and can't access huge sites on their mobile phones?

I just checked my site stats on one of my websites and I noticed some people have been accessing with mobile phones but since I use hella stuff that isn't appropriate for mobile phones I've been considering making a mobile version. For now if people try to access my website on their phones, my .htaccess redirects them to a "sorry" page. D: I'd like to make a mobile version but I've never done it before and is there anything I need to be aware of?
Mikari

Re: Mobile versions

Post by Mikari »

My only experience with mobiles is with the iPod and it works well. Javascript has never given me any problems. In fact, when I get redirected to a mobile version, I switch right back to the regular site because I find it easier to navigate with the full options. There are a few mobile versions that are useful though, but only if they rearrange the options rather than limit them. Aside from small text/images that require zooming in or text that is automatically made larger and could make the page stretch too much, there's not that much to worry about with mobiles getting better each day. I would say those are the things to watch out for the most. Some tricks to it are for example, putting text inside tables makes them retain their size in relation to the rest of the page where as text on the page itself will be made bigger by Safari though the images will stay small. I tried to view your site just now from my iPod and I didn't get a "sorry" page. I got a page with a "detect mobile browsing" add.
anon

Re: Mobile versions

Post by anon »

Oh, good thing it works on your mobile then! I should honestly download a web version to test my sites out since I don't own a smartphone.