Western RPGs

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
Varen

Re: Western RPGs

Post by Varen »

Yeah, Fable III was rather disappointing. They spend a lot of advertising for the post-monarch section of the game, but it ended up being too fast and relatively uninteresting until the ending. Plus the amount of bugs is rather unforgivable.
Emma wrote:Is it in DAII that they leave if you continue to be a jackass to them or do something they vehemently disagree with? Or was that Origins? Regardless, I like it. It makes your actions have consequences.
It's kind of both, but I think more in Dragon Age Origins. If they ever do make changes for DAIII, I really wish you can keep the rivalry system. I like not having to suck up to whatever opinions my party have just to befriend them.
Emma wrote:And yeah, just make everyone bisexual and let everyone romance whoever the hell they want regardless of gender. I LOVED that about DAII. Anyone who cries "that's unrealistic" (as many people did) in a game with magic and elves needs to check themselves at the door. My femShep will forever be sad she can't romance Tali or Ashley.
Tell me about it. D: People complain "But I play video games to escapppeeee~ I don't want to see tey contagious gayness!" In reality, it really should be that case because the world is so heterosexist that it's a relief to play a game where it's not about your sexuality, but love itself. I especially love how, if you choose a gay relationship, it's not ANY different (well, obviously there are some differences, but I mean they don't treat it like it's some alien thing or they behave differently because of it or anything) than if you were choosing a straight one.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Eh, on that though I have one criticism that made me steer away from all Bioware stuff - I'm all for all sorts of relationships but I get the feeling that Bioware RPGs are big dating sims. Or at least that's the aspect of those games that seems most prevalent in the fandom, which killed me the last spark of interest I had in them. I mean, there are a couple ideas and character designs that I like...but I can't get close to them without being bombed with all sorts of stuff that I couldn't care less about.

Nothing wrong with people liking the dating sim aspect, naturally - but that's an aspect that I try to avoid in games, so it's just that it happens to be the opposite of my thing.

I will say, I wanted to like Mass Effect. But I played the first two games and there were too many plotholes and characters that grossed me out to keep playing the third, then the entire Tali face incident happened and any residual respect I had for that series was completely destroyed. Sorry, everyone.
karenjeane

Post by karenjeane »

Like Varen, I tend to associate RPGs with medieval-type fantasy settings (or at least techno-fantasy) rather than science fiction. That said, I love SF books and films, so I should give Mass Effect a try. Likewise, I haven't tried any Elder Scrolls titles, and they look gorgeous, so the recent ones are on the "to play" list as well. I play games slooowy so this could take a while, though, just to let ya'll know.

Romance is certainly more prominent in DA:O than in say, NWN2, where it was just a small part. That said, I like the characters' more complex feelings and interactions. Alistair is a cutie, but I like Morrigan and Leliana a lot as well.
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I have to admit, I couldn't get into Mass Effect for ages. I tried it, hated it, and gave up. Aside from not initially liking the sci-fi setting, I just kept DYING. A friend actually sat down with me and showed me how to play it and drive the Mako, because he just said "I know you'll love it". And he was right. So yeah, I have to admit I had a similar mentality at first, especially because I first tried to play ME right after I finished Dragon Age for the first time.

I actually like the romance subplots BUT I can totally understand how they wouldn't appeal to everyone. Dubious - I also HATE how it's like the only thing fandom focuses on. I also didn't particularly like not being able to continue certain conversations unless you were in a romance. Like the developers didn't think a friendship could be important? I felt this about several ME2 squadmates, as well as Ash and femShep (who can't romance Ash) in ME3.

I will say, though, that the Garrus friendship is amazing. Seriously well done to whoever wrote that (and the romance, although I'm not a Garrushipper). I want all my videogame friendships to be so good. Garrus: my best bro.

Also aside/ Another little element of Dragon Age II that I enjoyed was that the other characters had a life that DIDN'T revolve around Hawke. It was nice to hear of them doing other things, or even romancing other people.

I have officially laid Skyrim to rest (as of yesterday). I've played 68 hours according to Raptr, and I could easily put in another 68. So I had to cut it off. I do want to go back and play some of the older Elder Scrolls games, for sure.
a spoony bard
Varen

Post by Varen »

Emma wrote:Also aside/ Another little element of Dragon Age II that I enjoyed was that the other characters had a life that DIDN'T revolve around Hawke. It was nice to hear of them doing other things, or even romancing other people.
Aveline, god I love her so much. She's exactly what we need more of female characters. Not treated as a sex object, stronger than her own HUSBAND, rational, and
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
yet proud of her love and sex life (well, after Wesley and her get together of course).
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I might have played some WRPGs but I'm not even sure. I don't pay that much attention to the genre, RPG Action RPG... W or J I like them both. I haven't actually played Dungeons and Dragons yet, but I have of course heard about it and I want to try it one day. I've also heard about a lot of the games mentioned here, but don't have much experience in playing them...