The layout testing thread

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

The layout testing thread

Post by dubiousdisc »

So you've just finished working on a site and you feel all cool and proud of yourself...except that a few days later you discover that it's broken on some other browser or OS, and start ripping your hair out. As we all know, shit happens.

However!
Here comes the layout testing thread to the rescue!

How it works:
  • Post a link to the site you'd like other people to test along with a screenshot of how it's intended to look like; include what browser and OS you are using.
  • Other people will look at your site and check if it looks and works the same on their part.
    • If it doesn't, they can reply with a screenshot of how it looks like for them along with what they're using, so the owner can see where the problem is and hopefully fix it with as little pain as manageable!
    • If it's working as intended, people should also let the owner know. It's good to know that everything is fine!
I thought this could be a nice addiction to the forums to help people. Layout issues can be nasty.
So: to as little problems as humanly possible!
Varen

Re: The layout testing thread

Post by Varen »

Would anyone be so kind as to see if my new layout for my domain (link in signature) is compatible with any browser sans Firefox? I had to remove Chrome and Explorer because I really needed to save some space. I'm using a PC, and my resolution is 1278 x 846 or something like that.

It should look like this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/ ... 0cce21.png

The font for the links is supposed to be different, but for some reason Firefox wouldn't load the font (even though it did when it wasn't uploaded).
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

How pretty! :D

Tested on a Win7 (64 bit), 1366 x 768:
all perfect on Opera and Chrome (latest versions),
on IE9 the buttons don't show up at first, they do when I hover, and from them on their behavior is odd since they might stay or randomly disappear. Can't be shown by a screenshot, sadly, but I hope you get what I mean? The Bayonetta button also has a border, for some reason.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Thanks dubiousdisc! I probably just need to fix the css for IE, but I'm glad everything else worked okay. (Out of curiousity, did you visit the Bayonetta site before? I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the active links.)
Iris-NoireORG
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Basically the same as dubiousdisc, with the exception of a larger screen resolution (1600x900).

The images don't appear unless I hover over them and then sometimes they will disappear again afterwards (other times they stay there). Also getting the border with the Bayonetta site image but it appears that is because it is missing the border="0" code like the other images have. Other than that it looks awesome! <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Awesome, thanks guys! I'll edit it very soon then~ :) Good to know the alignment of the footer isn't off either.
Iris-NoireORG
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Super nice layout! I've tested it on a Mac with OS X Lion, 2560x1440 resolution, Firefox and Chrome as browsers and it looks great :)

The only difference with your screenshot is that, since my screen resolution is much higher than yours, the main image is on the left side of the screen whereas the menu is centred. I can take a screenshot if you need to see how big the gap is.
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Varen

Post by Varen »

I would be grateful if you did. :)
Iris-NoireORG
Sofia
Administrator

Post by Sofia »

Varen wrote:I would be grateful if you did. :)
Of course! Do you prefer to receive the screenshot via mail or is it better if I upload the image on my domain?
Show me a hero and I'll write you a tragedy.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Anyway that's easier for you. :) I don't mind either way.
Iris-NoireORG