Anime and manga favorites!

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Crystal

Re: Anime and manga favorites!

Post by Crystal »

Kibumie wrote:
Crystal wrote: 03. Which holds a lot of sentimental value for you?
Fruits Basket most definitely.
haha. I was sure this was going to be your answer. xDDD Tohru bb <333
Yeah, Tohru is one of the reasons why the series means so much to me. <3 I really need to work on her shrine soon. D:
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Varen

Post by Varen »

Eden wrote:04. Do you have a favorite obscure/unpopular series?
- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is one of my favorites that is underrated.
- Elfen Lied is absolutely brilliant but too obscure to be popular.
- Red Garden is AMAZING.
- Blue Seed is a damn classic and amazing.
- Revolutionary Girl Utena - absolutely classic, but not a huge fanbase so it's not too popular.
I'm a little surprised to hear that they are obscure, since I feel that Elfen Lied and Utena are almost considered classics in their genres, especially Utena. Though in retrospect, they probably aren't too popular, which is what the question was also asking.

01. What are you currently keeping updated on?
Inazuma Eleven series. Right now watching Chrono Stone, although I admit that video games and a few mini projects have been preoccupying me lately.

02. What is your favorite anime and/or manga of all time?
It's hard to say honestly without the nostalgia goggles getting in my way. I don't particularly have one favorite either.

03. Which holds a lot of sentimental value for you?
Digimon Adventure, by far. It was one of my first anime, the first one where I got into fandom, and I even was compelled to RP because of it, and even now, some of the old roots in my RP are traced back to Digimon.

04. Do you have a favorite obscure/unpopular series?
Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu is another one of those "anime that left on a cliffhanger because it never adapted the rest of the manga/book", and yet, it had a lot of things going for it. A medieval adventure story, a lack of too much fanservice (at least for the majority of it), a mix of humor and drama with a engaging plot, and some decent animation quality. Too bad it never continued.

Also, Kaiba. A short anime with a Western-like art style that looks cute but has a WHOLE lot of abstract, trippy elements to it. It also had an adorable romance and some interesting mind-bending plot twists. And some really gorgeous opening and ending themes.
Iris-NoireORG
wasting internet space until i get motivation again
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

Varen wrote: 03. Which holds a lot of sentimental value for you?
Digimon Adventure, by far. It was one of my first anime, the first one where I got into fandom, and I even was compelled to RP because of it, and even now, some of the old roots in my RP are traced back to Digimon.
Oh yes, Digimon Adventure! I completely forgot that. I think it was the first fandom I really got into, collecting the trading cards and toys, and I also RPed for it! I even had a Digimon-related AOL screenname, lol. Plus, some of the first shrines I ever made were for Digimon characters.

Now I'm all nostalgic.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Yamila

Post by Yamila »

I'm a disaster for keeping up with animu/mango, lmao. But technically it'd be Crimson Spell, Loveless... and waiting for P4 extra episode... need to catch up on a gazillion shows tho.

Ugh hard question. I'm going with Gundam 00, Wing, and Getbackers. Magic Kaito for mango.

definitely Gundam 00, since i met most of my friends thanks to it, and also my gf :content: (we even discuss it daily, to this day!). Card Captor Sakura too, since it was the first manga i bought. :content: BSSM, Saint Seiya and Dragonball because childhood. Magic Kaito and Gundam Wing for a bunch of reasons.

pfffffffft... i tend to like obscure stuff. Magic Kaito for starters. Also UN-GO which NEEDS FAR MORE LOVE GODDAMNIT :puff:
· watch out, the night is breaking ·
stalking ur sites with Masao, Dragoneyes & Saya · [ directory team ]
Eden

Post by Eden »

Varen wrote:
Eden wrote:04. Do you have a favorite obscure/unpopular series?
- Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni is one of my favorites that is underrated.
- Elfen Lied is absolutely brilliant but too obscure to be popular.
- Red Garden is AMAZING.
- Blue Seed is a damn classic and amazing.
- Revolutionary Girl Utena - absolutely classic, but not a huge fanbase so it's not too popular.
I'm a little surprised to hear that they are obscure, since I feel that Elfen Lied and Utena are almost considered classics in their genres, especially Utena. Though in retrospect, they probably aren't too popular, which is what the question was also asking.
Exactly. I've been part of the Utena fanbase for years (frequent on the Empty Movement forums) and although it's a classic of it's genre, it just isn't popular enough. The fanbase seems to be nestled into it's little corner of the internet. I don't see it listed on everyone's favorites list like say Naruto, Bleach, Sailor Moon, etc. (zomg Naruto was in my dictionary when I right clicked!?)

Elfen Lied I feel is not popular. Maybe the "shock" content of it is making some people avoid it? I loved it (manga and anime) but again, I don't see this on everyone's list of favorites. I never found an actual fanbase around the series so I figured its fans were too spread out. People have heard of it, but never watched/read it.

I also struggle with finding anyone who likes Higurashi, Blue Seed, Gunsmith Cats, or Red Garden.

I wear the nostalgia goggles a LOT with stuff like Sailor Moon, DBZ, Outlaw Star, Utena, etc.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

GANGSTA. -- although Monthly Comic Bunch is killing my bank account.

Probably Blood+, but we have a love-hate relationship for various reasons (most relating to how terrible it is). Or Dragonaut due to lulz? Perhaps even Red Garden, which is actually good. I like my anime with added Amerikkans, it would seem.

Ai Tenshi Densetsu Wedding Peach. I have a lot of fond memories related to preteen bride-angels and their misadventures.

Pretty much everything I like is unpopular or obscure so it's hard to pick just one. Akihabara Dennou Gumi? It's complete shit therefore it is fantastic.
Last edited by Shiori on Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

Manga-wise I read Bleach and Kuroshitsuji; might catch up on Barajou no Kiss. Anime-wise I'm watching La Storia della Arcana Famiglia and Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu: Uta Koi.

Impossible question, since I have seen and loved too many. For manga, I'll go with Fruits Basket and...Bleach (memory is failing me right now). As for anime, I'll choose Honey and Clover, Samurai Champloo, and Ouran. Really, I like too many, though.

DBZ, Yu Yu Hakusho, and Rurouni Kenshin win the nostalgia award. Honey and Clover, Ouran, and Fruits Basket also get me choked up.

Tactics! I'd love to read the manga if my Japanese reading skills weren't crap, but the anime is plenty fine for me. And Mushi-shi, if that's considered obscure--though it might just be really old lol.
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Aku

Post by Aku »

I've been so busy with work lately that I'm really only following two ongoing series: SKET Dance and Shirokuma Cafe. :heart: They're both lighthearted and comical so it's relaxing to watch them after a long hard day at work. I've been thinking of picking up some stuff from the new season, but what I may do is just catch up on older seasons I'm behind on. I'm also pretty bad at keeping up with manga, but I keep up with the recent JoJo arc, JOJOLION, and grudgingly continue to read Kimi ni Todoke lol

Gintama, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and the Macross/Gundam franchises are probably my biggest passions! But I'm also a die-hard Dragon Ball Z fangirl, still love Death Note, and Ookiku Furikabutte is also probably one of my most favorite/re-watched stand alone series that doesn't have to do with fighting or robots, haha.

If I have to say one: Dragon Ball/DBZ! I will never not love Goku & the gang. I'm also a long-time Gundam fan, although I admit being partial to the earlier series. (Gundam in the Universal Century was the golden age!)

I would say both JoJo and Gintama are more obscure. Gintama's grown quite a fanbase just in the recent year, which I'm happy about, but I think for the most part it's still one of the lesser-followed JUMP series in the English-speaking fanbase. With the exception of the friends I've drug down with me, I'm the only Jojo fan I know, so... XD
Eden

Post by Eden »

@Aku: I might check out Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I've heard about it a while back and keep forgetting to check it out. Your layouts with big burly men make me want to look at it now.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Aku: I totally thought of you when I heard about the new JoJo anime and game projects, ngl.