Frankenstein

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Mikari

Re: Frankenstein

Post by Mikari »

I don't think I watched that one, or I did and can't remember. I do remember Gossamer though... after I googled it and saw a picture. That was a fun monster.
alexielnet

Post by alexielnet »

I had to write a major collage essay on it and I really didn't like it. It was like a massive pity party for poor Franky and I hated the way it treated women. The one woman who dares to have little sympathy for our hero is a poor person any way so she doesn't matter. That was another thing that I hated about the books was the classicism. Of course that was just how things were back then, and today to some extent if you look closely, but I would rather have written about the classicism than the Gothic elements in the story because I think it would have made a more original and interesting essay.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

You already know my thoughts. I just love mymonster okay!? <3 it's one of my favorite books though.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I like to pick on monsters XD
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I know~! I'm just a big fan of the Gothic stuff in general. I just remember the first time I read Frankenstein, I was like "Vincent?" I read it years after playing the initial game, but it is one of my favorites. I've read it two or three times, but I like the "darker" feel. Koontz actually has an interesting interpretation of what's going on with Victor and the Creature, which he name Deucalion. It's not too bad, I admit I got it because I wanted to know how he thought to continue it. It's set in modern day, so it's not as bad. Some of the characters get fleshed out a lot better, but I think there's a lot to be told for the way he writes. I'm not a huge fan of it. Still, kind of similar vein in the Gothic, not quite scary. But it's five books so you may not wanna spend the time. I still need to read the fifth. It's got a bit more science explained in it and it references several other prominent Literature, like Milton's Paradise Lost. (cough)

I mean. I love my monster. <3
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Maybe I'll listen to it if I find it online.
earthy

Post by earthy »

Victor Frankenstein definitely wins the award for Worst Dad Ever. <.< >.>

I do hope anyone interested in the characters/story is able to check out the National Theatre version with Jonny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch (https://microsites.nationaltheatre.org. ... nings.html). Super fascinating and primarily from the creature's POV. The actors alternate playing both roles, and I absolutely must marry the lighting.

On a more literary front, I've heard Frankenstein described as the first real science fiction novel--what do you think? Some bookstore owners I talked to recently absolutely disagreed and said there was a ton of what might be considered SF long before Frankenstein. Maybe you could argue it's the first SF novel by a woman?
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't really keep track that far back but the SF elements were what kept me listening... sadly I was left waiting for more... waiting for the "it's alive!" that never came. Oh well, it did inspire the eventual creation of that scene so I can thank it for that.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Hmm, maybe not the first ever Sci-Fi novel, but there were definitely some very interesting points. I think what it really lacks is the explanation of what would truly be "scientific." From what I've noticed Sci-Fi relies a lot heavier on the explanation of how and why things work. Technically, it is the lightning that gives the Creature life. Why? That's not addressed in the story. As far as we know the outside element, something else (something supernatural?) intervened. Of course, in context at the time people were concerned with what science could do. So on that note, yes it is more sci-fi because sci-fi always touches up on current events with medical or scientific breakthroughs. as Mikari said there were sci-fi elements; it's easy to put traces of other genres into stories though.

I really classify it as Horror more than science fiction. It brings fear and atrocities and makes them real, which for me is key component of horror more than science fiction. I also believe that Shelley made more a point of the horror than the explanation of it (ie. The creature chases after Victor and torments him. Victor never knows where it's going to be. It drives him insanity). Perhaps even a dark fantasy, but I have a hard time agreeing with the term "science fiction" to classify. Maybe that's just me though. I recognize more elements from what it means to be "horror" than science fiction.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I agree with the horror. It's not the super gory kind of horror, but a lot of it does tell the story of Victor's fears and also the Zombies fears and the fears of those who deal with it in some way.