Most Influential Shrines

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Most Influential Shrines

Post by Destinie »

Do you all have a shrine, or shrines, that you find influential? Maybe it's one that you visit a lot, or one that got you into shrining, or ones that you look to when you're stuck with your content?

For me, I have a whole list here! But I can say that while working on specific shrines that I was influenced by certain people's works. For example, when working on Paladin I was very influenced by Count the Stars and Ruin. When working on Flight I kept reading Ripples. Just how the content was organized and what they chose to write about helped me to think about what I wanted to do. I wonder if that happens to other people, too?
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Most Influential Shrines

Post by dubiousdisc »

Oh my, now you make me want to make a shrine button wall ;w;

I do the same! Before working on a site I hit the directory and Emotion and see what shrines "click" with what I'm trying to make. I'd really have to make a list of what shrines influenced what in terms of content organization and writing, though. I know that one site that played a big part in the making of Anger was Sleepwalk, for example.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

You should!! X3 I had it before and then took it down but missed it, so I brought it back. I like being able to showcase all the shrines that influence me in one place. :D I like to visit them fairly often, too!
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

If you are cool with us making button walls I'm just gonna have to jump on that bandwagon too. ^-^ I like looking at all types of sites. I did get some inspiration from Butterfly when working on Caterpillar. Though I do get distracted, like I'll be looking through sites and forget I'm supposed to be creating.
;o; *** pew! pew!
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

OKAY DEFINITELY JUMPED ON THE BANDWAGON
TA-DAH
(the page would normally be displayed in a window in the domain itself, thus why the no title and so on)

Which reminded me that for Cyber Punk I liberally copie--ahem, drew inspiration from Sofia's Odi et Amo for displaying quotes in context.

Cherri: hehe butterfly to caterpillar :B intentional?
Todd

Post by Todd »

Haha, aw, thanks for linking Ripples, guys! I'm glad you found it influential, Destinie. <3

I get inspired by lots of sites by different people. My most recent Knuckles revamp was inspired by DD's Spark Needle and Destinie's Fox and Krystal sites.

Somewhere Only We Know is what it is today because of a mixture of Aeryvae, Karen, and Alex inspiring me with their FF6 sites. They kept revamping theirs making theirs better, so I had to follow suit or I'd be left behind. lol

I was inspired to make Requiem because of Sofia and Emma's beautiful FF4 sites.

Rinoa's Schala site was a big inspiration for my Magus site.

Most recently, Sarah's Elliot Stabler site and Barbara's Anna site makes me want to work on Silent Lucidity more. lol

I could go on and on...
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Duby Yay! I love the link wall! >3

@Todd You're welcome! But thank you, because it's a really wonderful site. I liked how you sort of progress through the story from her point of view and then you really talk about her character, inside and out. That way of writing inspired me a lot. :D

(I also think there are some people on the boards here that don't know I'm such a huge fan of their sites haha ^^')
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I was pretty shocked to find out Gentle Baker was popular.

I have a question. Would making a layout similar to someone else's be coping? I'm always afraid that when I make a layout that looks like someone else's that I'm copying. Also I mean like the style, different colors and images would be used. Just curious what it counts as.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Poltergeist and Modest Mouser and Amassment as a whole inspired me to try to make something in a different style. Golden Phoenix was an experiment and yet, I still keep it and it has its own place on the collective. For some of the sections in Surreptitious, Way Cool and Reset I got ideas from the Stay Strong organization and sites like Liberation, When it Rains, it Pours and Blazing Dynamo. Also seeing new projects from Snow, Cherri and several others kept me active and made me finally get around to making iHime and Reset after I had considered those shrines for a while but not done anything right away.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Cherri wrote: I have a question. Would making a layout similar to someone else's be coping? I'm always afraid that when I make a layout that looks like someone else's that I'm copying. Also I mean like the style, different colors and images would be used. Just curious what it counts as.
I think it depends. For me, I know I've definitely been inspired by people's layouts in the past and have designed layouts that are similar in some aspects. (IE: Maybe the navigation is in a similar place or maybe the font choices are similar.) But it's never exactly the same.

Inspired by =/= Copying. A case of copying would be taking the person's code verbatim so you have an exact version of their layout, font, everything but with different images and colors. (I've seen that happen and it's pretty frustrating.)

I would recommend that if you feel unsure about your approach, you could always talk to the owner of the original shrine/site and see if you can get their feedback on it. That way, if they see it, they don't feel like they are being copied. :)