Reopening a shrine

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Reopening a shrine

Post by Sarah »

Have you ever closed a shrine and then reopened it some time later? Or if you haven't done so yet, do you have one you would like to reopen someday?
Recently I've been considering bringing back a couple of sites I made in my early shrining days. One of those sites is saved on my flash drive, and the others I would have to make again from scratch. I would like to bring at least one of them back at some point in the future, as I do miss those sites and I'm still a fan of their subjects' respective series.

So, in addition to the very first questions above, here are a few more. You don't have to answer all of them, of course. (Also, you can edit the questions so they make sense depending on whether the site in question is one you have reopened or one you want to reopen but haven't yet.)
  • What was the site dedicated to?
  • Why did you close it in the first place? (Losing a host, wasn't up to your standards, etc.)
  • How long was the site closed/offline before you brought it back?
  • What made you decide to bring it back?
  • Did you have the site saved, or were all the files lost/deleted?
  • If you did have it saved, did you rebuild it from scratch anyway or just reupload everything the way it was?
  • After bringing the site back, did you find you were glad to do so?
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Mikari

Re: Reopening a shrine

Post by Mikari »

I've done that with all my shrines when I temporarily closed my whole collective then later brought it back as an archives collection. Even now I only work on my pixel & web-design site & the cliques, while everything else is archived for viewing. This is due to lack of time mostly. I don't remember for how long the sites were down, a few months maybe? I had all the files saved so I brought them back the same way they were and only updated the links page for a few new ones & cleaning up broken links. A lot of people said they were happy to see the sites back so that make me glad to keep them. :)
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I did that with I AM². I closed it because it wasn't good enough for me and at the time I was going through a TOO MANY PROJECTS, MUST TAKE DOWN THINGS binge and that was the result of it. I think four years passed in between, and then I think it just happened that I was having a conversation about Ai and how much I like her as a character and so on, remembered that I even used to have a site about her, hell, why not bring it back, I still have a lot to say about this character and I could say it better now. So I did. I had all the files, but I rewrote all of it from zero. The only thing that I kept from the old site was the name, since I really liked it, and, well, the pictures (which I am glad I had saved because I used the DVD screenshots, that are now nearly impossible to find). Yeah, I'm glad I brought it back because...it's just a character I'm very attached to and I had a lot of things to say about her. :)
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I've closed a lot of sites that I've made over the years but very rarely have I brought them back. I know that I want to bring back my 1-page Lamassu shrine. I had done that originally. It started as a shrine/fanlisting, I took it down when I moved hosts, then I purged my collective and only wanted to showcase larger shrines, but I want to bring it back. (Or at least re-upload it so it's available for people to visit!)

I can't think of any shrines that I've had years ago and wanted to bring back. I'm sure that I would be really embarrassed if I looked at my older shrines now. If I were to bring something back, it would just be the concept, all of the content would need to be brand new.

(Unfortunately, Archive.org doesn't have anything earlier than this: http://web.archive.org/web/200108020427 ... bygomamon/ my old Gomamon shrine. I had this shrine for a really long time and it moved around a lot. If I still loved Digimon, and this minor character, as much as I did back then, I'd totally reopen it!)
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I loved your Lamassu page, I'd really want to see it back!
Todd

Post by Todd »

I closed and reopened Solitaire and Silent Lucidity.

Both were down for a little over a year, and I took them down because their quality wasn't up to par with my other sites, and I didn't have inspiration to work on them anymore. I got inspired to remake Solitaire and I rebuilt it from scratch. Silent Lucidity I just missed and decided to bring back with its shortcomings and all. It was a fan favorite, too.

The only two other sites I have closed are Pawn, my Steiner from FF9 shrine, and Forget Me Not, my Starbuck/Kara from BSG site. I will probably bring those back eventually as well, haha.

My main thing is I don't mind how many sites I have, but I want them all to be quality, and I don't want to have too many needing work. When I get Silent Lucidity in a little better condition, I'll consider working on Forget Me Not again. Splitting my time discussing the series between them wasn't working.

Pawn will be brought back if I ever replay FF9.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

dubiousdisc wrote:I loved your Lamassu page, I'd really want to see it back!
:D I'll reupload it. I even love my old layout I did for it when I re-opened it for the One-page shrine marathon. I never changed it because I liked the drawing I did. ^_^;;

@Todd I was so happy when you brought your Knuckles shrine back!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Trying to think... I don't think I've brought back any shrines I've closed. There is a couple I considered bringing back -- like my Anju and Larxene shrines -- but I don't really have the interest to do anything with them now so they're just staying dead. I got tons on my plate to do anyway. x_x;
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

After i closed down dark-ocean.net, i found it really challenging to bring back all of my old sites, especially because i lost everything. I managed to rewrite my Axel KH site from scratch and my Marluxia one, but besides for that, it is still taking me forever to bring back old sites. I've made far more new ones than anything... I do miss a lot of my old stuff though, but I lack the motivation to do so -_-;;
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Megan sometimes you just need to wait for inspiration to strike! ;) After a year or so, I'm working on my Meowth shrine again. Maybe one day you will have motivation to work on some of your old sites? Maybe just enjoying those series again can inspire you!