new (old) adventures in Persona

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
earthy

new (old) adventures in Persona

Post by earthy »

So I just tried the PSP version of the first Persona game and...meh. Too many characters without much personality, don't like the battle system, definitely don't like the first-person POV for moving around. I am disappoint. :(

(Though the ability to negotiate with enemies is amusing.)

Has anyone else tried this game? Enjoyed/not enjoyed it?

Related: Is it worth it to try the re-release of Persona 2? I heard it was originally a 2-part game, and I'm not sure both parts are available in the US at this point.
Cherri

Re: new (old) adventures in Persona

Post by Cherri »

I tried playing that one but I just didn't like it. I didn't get very far either. Just didn't enjoy any of it. Really I liked the butterflies, the music was pretty good and possibly the guy in the mask but I don't know much about him either.

I have no idea if Persona 2 is worth it or not. It might have been a 2 part game but with the technology advancing they might have released both parts in the same disc or together. Not sure though as I don't know much about it. I've really only like and finished Persona 3 and 4 (okay I mostly helped Snow through her playthroughs but I did a lot and saw the credit roll so it counts.)
;o; *** pew! pew!
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I think I've seen both parts of the P2 game on the PSN. I tried P1 and didn't like it, pretty much for the same reasons you mentioned... I get lost easily...

I haven't tried P2, so I don't know if it's worth it. I loved P3 and haven't played P4, but it looks good.
earthy

Post by earthy »

@Cherri: LOL yes, Philemon looked like fun (and I liked how the butterfly imagery was reused in P3). I wonder how they got from him to Igor in the Velvet Room? I really didn't play far enough into P1 to see if Igor even appears....

@Mikari: Aw, P4 is great fun (the first one I played). At least as good as P3. You should definitely check it out if you have the time/inclination.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Earthy: YES! I didn't play very long either. I'm not sure how Igor comes in or they just make him appear. I liked the reuse of the butterflies too.

@Mikari: I played P4 on the playstation, I'm not sure how the others are but I don't think there is much difference. I think you'd like it. You get to solve murders.
;o; *** pew! pew!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I played most of P1. I couldn't get into it. Igor does, IN FACT, appear. He allows you to merge spirits (like he does in P3). He's there with Nyx, who sings the song that it always plays in the Velvet room.

But I never actually finished the game so I'm not sure about anything else. I found too many characters, little development, and lack of clear goals frustrating so I gave up.

I also think that since I played P3 and 4 first that the whole having taming demons thing was lost on me. I don't enjoy that aspect of it. I don't mind the persona or even using them, but the battle system was a little different and I didn't enjoy collecting the spirits as much.

Sometimes I find it hard to play newer things and then go back to older (because I end up being spoiled). So I try not to do that.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Have you told me about Igor with Nyx singing before? It sounds familiar. I probably forgot until you mentioned it.

I'm used to everyone having a set persona except the main character. I'm not fond of the multiple demon taming. Probably why I didn't finish Devil Survivor either.
;o; *** pew! pew!
earthy

Post by earthy »

@Snow: I sort of feel the need to see Nyx singing + the first version of Igor now. ^^;; Does Igor still have the ridiculous nose? And no Velvet siblings, I suppose, since I think Elizabeth in P3 was the first? Or do Philemon/Nyx count somehow?
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Cherri, yes I told you once before! Because I was excited about it. I love the song it plays in the Velvet Room.

Earthy, hmm. Igor is Igor. I can't remember fully if he has a character portrait or not but it seems like he does, or at least I recognized him as Igor instantly. I don't recall Nyx having a character portrait or anything. But I do remember the room you find them in is blue-ish. (Like the elevator and the limo.) Just Nyx singing near him.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@Snow: That's what I though. I think you showed me too. Must have gotten blocked out cause of all the other maps and bestiary stuff I do for the other Persona games. How could I forget Igor and a singing Nyx. Velvet Room song is awesome. ^-^;
;o; *** pew! pew!