Naming Your Shrines

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Mikari

Re: Naming Your Shrines

Post by Mikari »

How do you go about picking names for your shrines?

I don't have a set strategy, I'll take any ideas that come.

Do you usually pick short or long names?

I prefer short names, they tend to be catchier, easier to put in layouts, buttons, etc. and overall easier to remember and deal with.

Are you names based on something (like a song)? How do you come up with the name of your shrine?

They all have different things they're based on. Mostly something that describes the character or an important part on their story.

Way Cool - the name of a stage in Super Mario World, it fits Boshi since he tries to keep a cool image.

Surreptitious - because a lot of significant parts of Ureksa's story happen behind the scenes, he does a lot of sneaking around and most things are not revealed until after they had happened, rather than while they're happening.

iHime because Samurai Pizza Cats pokes fun at itself, I did too. There are a lot of iWhatever names out there. Violet is a robotic rabbit so she's tech and she's a spoiled princess who totally woul justify things with something along the lines of "because I'm the princess!" hence I hime, as hime is princess in Japanese.

Reset I can't explain it without spoiling the main plot point on the series so read if you don't mind...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Homura has the power to time travel to the same point in the past, she's trying to save Madoka and has failed to do so many times. Whenever Madoka dies, Homura returns to day when they met and thus resetting the time line. It's like failing to save a character you want to recruit in a game and going back over and over, losing your progress (as no one remembers Homura because they are meeting for the 'first time') but gaining more knowledge that will hopefully make you obtain that character next time... except in Homura's case she's trying to save her best friend's life.
Golden Phoenix this is the name of an acrobat move Layla does, which is like her signature move and it comes up in the plot in a few key points. Plus it kind of fits her as
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
metaphorically she was reborn from the ashes, first after a childhood tragedy and later after an injury, both experiences mentally and physically affecting her through her life, but she learned to cope with it.
that, and she has golden blond hair too.

R.E.D. if one pagers count... RED is the color of Reno's hair, the feature that seems to stand out the most at a glance. It also stands for Random Erratic Disarray mostly as a joke. XD

My clique has a simple name, no link because it'll be on the event. I won't say what it is (though many of you already know). It is simply the name of a thing, yet people usually call it by a different name which also applies, the the more broad name which I used is surprisingly not used as much. I think I just got lazy with his one... yet somehow it works.

Are you currently trying to work out a title right now?

not really...
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Destinie wrote:@Crystal I remember seeing lots of websites that had Japanese titles way back when. I am interested in the shift and how fansite trends seem to be changing. I really like the titles you picked for your shrines based off of song titles, I think they fit really well. ^_^
Yeah that doesn't seem to be a common thing nowadays. Thanks Destinie! I'm quite fond of them myself. <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

lol I used to have a rhyme and reason, but I don't anymore. The names of my sites come from all over the place -- chapter titles, quotes, character traits, songs that relate to the character...

I do have to say I try really hard to make my site names balanced. For example, I don't want all sites with one word titles, so I try to mix it up.

Poltergeist
Ripples
Solitaire
Requiem
Wings

Somewhere Only We Know
This Fateful Hour
Breathe Drew
Silent Lucidity
Scary Movie

I'm doing pretty good. :)
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I pick something that I thinks relates to the character. Or I talk to Snow about it and she helps me name them. Special techs, titles or something like that is how I name them.

Depends on the character. Generally 2 words or less with the exception of Get My Shine On but that on can also be called Shine On. So yeah.

Are you names based on something (like a song)? How do you come up with the name of your shrine?
Not really, mainly techs or titles. I get lucky sometimes and a simple word sums it up.

YES! I'm having a hard time with my Cap site. But I might go with Human, naming after Ellie Goulding's song Human. Because it suits him a little.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Alison

Post by Alison »

Unless something comes to my mind immediately (read: never), my first instinct is usually to open iTunes. I steal names from songs a lot. If that doesn't work I start thinking of describing words and then mess around with a thesaurus.

Both my current and my upcoming shrines are one word names, but I don't mind longer names (as long as they fit on buttons!).

As I said above, yeah, songs. Pretty often. I'd completely forgotten Radiance came from a song, actually. Beyond that, I have had many fanlistings named after songs. My upcoming shrine is amazingly enough not named after a song, though I tried really hard to find one that fit.

I was up until this week! My upcoming one finally has a name. It had several candidates that were all mediocre and I didn't want to use them, but after wracking my brain for a long time I finally came up with one I like. It'll be done soon!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I just go with whatever feels best. Its usually my initial thought. Usually once I have the name the inspiration floods me. Until I have the right one, I just can't work on it.

I'll be honest, I love ridiculously long names. I don't know why. xD But I prefer short names because they're easier to work with.

Because I am inspired by a great many things (furniture included) I can name a site after anything. I'm sure most remember everyone thinking about Bon Jovi when I made my Mami site. XD I also like to use old sayings (like for When it Rains, it Pours). If I think a name fits I will stick with it until the bitter end. I won't make a site until I come up with a name. For me its every bit as important as content and design. So I can be terribly obsessive about it. But usually if something sticks in my mind, I'll just use it.

I also use things that are important to the character. Like Liberation for Aya as it was her ultimate attack. Or the fact the Hijikata becomes Yukimura's Guardian. I also use character quotes like with Goda's "every man should be a little bit stupid" leading to his shrine being called Stupid Dragon.

I can be terribly elaborate for no good reason. xD

Not right now, attempting to help Cherri come up with names though. :3
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I come up with as many name possibilities as I can, just in the hopes that at least one of them will really work for me. Then I make the best decision possible, after considering certain factors - is the name fitting to the subject, how will the name look on the layout and buttons and when being used in the site text, will I still like it in a year or so (admittedly that's hard to know, lol), etc.

Well, it varies. I don't think any are too long, though. Like others have mentioned, I want it to be able to fit onto a button, haha. And I'm the same as Todd in that I like varying title lengths; as in, I don't want a bunch of sites with just one-word titles.

None of my current shrines are, but two of my upcoming/planned ones are. I really do like the idea of having a site named after a song, since I like being able to find a connection between a song's title and the subject of the site. I come up with the names of my sites by looking at the personality, hobbies, likes, and things associated with them if it is a character. For my two non-character sites I used wordplay that relates to them.

I am, yes. Though I have one of my upcomings listed with a name, it's not my definite choice yet. (That would be "You're Fired!", for Benson of Regular Show.) I like that name, but I have several other choices that I also like. So I am still trying to decide, actually. I guess I just put down "You're Fired!" as a placeholder for now.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Michelle

Post by Michelle »

I try to focus on the aspect I like the most/think is the most interesting about the shrine subject, and go from there. For example, using O Fortuna for my Anise shrine because I love how her character deals with fate and fortune.

Another thing I like to do is listen to the soundtrack to whatever I'm working on a shrine to (if it has one) and let the music influence me. I also take inspiration from track names :D.

I try for short names, because they're easier for visitors to remember and easier to fit on buttons, yeah. I loved the name "Ruin" for my Raine shrine. It's so concise but it fits her character perfectly.

The exception is my shrine called Tear Down the Sky... I love the name and knew it would be the shrine's name after hearing the line in the game, but it's so damn long! I'd never change it though.

I've been influenced by song titles/lyrics, mythology, foreign languages, science... lots of stuff haha.

Yes ugh. I want to make like 50394523 Mass Effect related shrines but I can't think of names for anything. Or pick which character to shrine, which might be a bigger problem.
seek you the sun-cryst, slumb'ring star. in tower on distant shore it dreams.