Naming Your Shrines

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Naming Your Shrines

Post by Destinie »

I think this discussion was posted a long time ago but it's relevant to me right now so I wanted to revive it, lol!

How do you go about picking names for your shrines?

I usually either find one that pops into my head and I LOVE IT and use it right away. Or, I will pick a few that I like and ask people what they think about it and get feedback. Since other people will be visiting the site, I like to ask their input about the name and other areas of the shrine.

Do you usually pick short or long names?

I usually pick short names because they are easiest to remember and put on graphics. xD

Are you names based on something (like a song)? How do you come up with the name of your shrine?

Usually I use 1 or 2 words in my shrine titles that are usually descriptive of the character or remind me of the character. (For example, I use "Soothsay" for Krystal because she is an empath/psychic and I used "Paladin" for Lloyd since it means warrior, essentially.) I hardly use song titles for shrine names, if ever. Oh, I also like foreign words (like Latin)! I think that's fun to use foreign words in titles. Haha. ^_^;

Are you currently trying to work out a title right now?

Yes! I want to rename my Meowth shrine from "Modest Mouser" to either "Lucky Cat", "Made of Riches", or "Rags to Riches". I was never a fan of Modest Mouse but the title was catchy. I don't think Meowths are that modest, either. :\ Since I made that shrine in approx. 2006, I think it's worth giving it a new image.
anon

Re: Naming Your Shrines

Post by anon »

(Oh oops I forgot I copy-pasta'd this) I... just make a list of words that relate to my subject at hand.

I like short names. Anything that's over two words is too long for me, just because I want it to fit on buttons.

Are you names based on something (like a song)? How do you come up with the name of your shrine?

My names are usually based on synonyms that relate to the overall themes that the character/show represents, or a certain concept used in-show that best applies to my subject. They can come from songs that reminds me of them too.

Nope! ... I can't elaborate very much on this. I would advise people who have trouble to make a list of what best applies to the subject's personal qualities, themes (color, emotional concepts, etc.), or references.

Actually, yes, Varen and my "coming whenever" project has a working title but we haven't decided on one yet. Our working title is currently "Whiny Emo Bitch."
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Same as Destinie - either I have one that is perfect from the beginning or I make a list of candidates. Then I get feedback and see what happens. I often end up with a name that I consider "clever" and can be read in multiple ways.

Tendentially short because they fit better on buttons but there's no fixed rule.

Word association. I either think about the subject matter or go read about it if my brain is dry and eventually I'll have something. I try not to force it - it will come on its own when it's ready.
To pick some examples, I named my site for Malice Anger because of the characters sensing her through her rage and because it was so close to angel. I AM² was named that way because of the play on words between Ai and I, how her character is all about questioning the nature of the self, and how she's existed multiple times. At the Gates of Death evokes the gloomy and sinister world of Quake, it links back to the many levels of the game that are based on gates, and how the hell in which they're trapped makes it so that all the characters of the game are never fully alive, never fully dead.

Why, actually, yes. I'm already thinking about this year's one page marathon...

Destinie: I really like Lucky Cat personally!
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@DubiousDisc glad I'm not the only one that thinks about how the title will fit on link buttons (even if people hardly use them, lol!) XD

And thanks! I think I will go with Lucky Cat. Just need to find time to work on that layout!
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I try to think of words that I feel fit the subject I'm trying to shrine. Sometimes it's easy to do but if I'm really stuck I'll get opinions from others.

This tends to vary. Sometimes my titles are long and other times they're short. I prefer in between sized names because they look nicer on the layout but sometimes this doesn't happen and I end up using either long or short names.

Are your names based on something (like a song)? How do you come up with the name of your shrine?
Some are based off of songs (like Risk and Seasons Change) while others are words are phrases that I feel fit the subject (like Sentience and Save the World). I come up with names by thinking of words that I'd use to describe the subject or at least feel describes it closely. I used to use Japanese words for this but I've been shying away from those as of late and prefer English names instead.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time figuring out a name for my Buffy the Vampire Slayer shrine that I've got sort of in the works. Currently I've decided on "Apocalypse Again" (because Buffy is always saving the world from an apocalypse or whatever) but I'm still kinda iffy on it. I also thought about using "Welcome to the Hellmouth" because it sounds awesome but it's way too long for me to really want to use it.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Crystal I remember seeing lots of websites that had Japanese titles way back when. I am interested in the shift and how fansite trends seem to be changing. I really like the titles you picked for your shrines based off of song titles, I think they fit really well. ^_^
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I don't have a set strategy, I'll take any ideas that come.

I prefer short names, they tend to be catchier, easier to put in layouts, buttons, etc. and overall easier to remember and deal with.

They all have different things they're based on. Mostly something that describes the character or an important part on their story.

Way Cool - the name of a stage in Super Mario World, it fits Boshi since he tries to keep a cool image.

Surreptitious - because a lot of significant parts of Ureksa's story happen behind the scenes, he does a lot of sneaking around and most things are not revealed until after they had happened, rather than while they're happening.

iHime because Samurai Pizza Cats pokes fun at itself, I did too. There are a lot of iWhatever names out there. Violet is a robotic rabbit so she's tech and she's a spoiled princess who totally woul justify things with something along the lines of "because I'm the princess!" hence I hime, as hime is princess in Japanese.

Reset I can't explain it without spoiling the main plot point on the series so read if you don't mind...
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
Homura has the power to time travel to the same point in the past, she's trying to save Madoka and has failed to do so many times. Whenever Madoka dies, Homura returns to day when they met and thus resetting the time line. It's like failing to save a character you want to recruit in a game and going back over and over, losing your progress (as no one remembers Homura because they are meeting for the 'first time') but gaining more knowledge that will hopefully make you obtain that character next time... except in Homura's case she's trying to save her best friend's life.
Golden Phoenix this is the name of an acrobat move Layla does, which is like her signature move and it comes up in the plot in a few key points. Plus it kind of fits her as
SPOILERSPOILER_SHOW
metaphorically she was reborn from the ashes, first after a childhood tragedy and later after an injury, both experiences mentally and physically affecting her through her life, but she learned to cope with it.
that, and she has golden blond hair too.

R.E.D. if one pagers count... RED is the color of Reno's hair, the feature that seems to stand out the most at a glance. It also stands for Random Erratic Disarray mostly as a joke. XD

My clique has a simple name, no link because it'll be on the event. I won't say what it is (though many of you already know). It is simply the name of a thing, yet people usually call it by a different name which also applies, the the more broad name which I used is surprisingly not used as much. I think I just got lazy with his one... yet somehow it works.

not really...
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Destinie wrote:@Crystal I remember seeing lots of websites that had Japanese titles way back when. I am interested in the shift and how fansite trends seem to be changing. I really like the titles you picked for your shrines based off of song titles, I think they fit really well. ^_^
Yeah that doesn't seem to be a common thing nowadays. Thanks Destinie! I'm quite fond of them myself. <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Todd

Post by Todd »

lol I used to have a rhyme and reason, but I don't anymore. The names of my sites come from all over the place -- chapter titles, quotes, character traits, songs that relate to the character...

I do have to say I try really hard to make my site names balanced. For example, I don't want all sites with one word titles, so I try to mix it up.

Poltergeist
Ripples
Solitaire
Requiem
Wings

Somewhere Only We Know
This Fateful Hour
Breathe Drew
Silent Lucidity
Scary Movie

I'm doing pretty good. :)
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I pick something that I thinks relates to the character. Or I talk to Snow about it and she helps me name them. Special techs, titles or something like that is how I name them.

Depends on the character. Generally 2 words or less with the exception of Get My Shine On but that on can also be called Shine On. So yeah.

Not really, mainly techs or titles. I get lucky sometimes and a simple word sums it up.

YES! I'm having a hard time with my Cap site. But I might go with Human, naming after Ellie Goulding's song Human. Because it suits him a little.
;o; *** pew! pew!