I am bulletproof?

New, or have been away from the board for a while? Introduce or reintroduce yourself to us!
Forum rules
New and a bit lost? Check out the Getting Started topic and the Mentor Program!
Eden

I am bulletproof?

Post by Eden »

Hi everyone, I'm Eden. I'm not a fan site maker (at least not yet) and I primiarly do fanlistings, but I eventually want to learn how to be a good fan site maker. Writing was never my strong suit and in school, I was always berated for my writing skills by teachers and even my boyfriend laughed at how I wrote like a 12 year old. You know how you know you're good at something and bad at another? Writing is my bad thing.

I'm way too shy and ashamed of my writing skills to make fan sites and I'm also afraid of getting eaten by fandom purists for any content I put on a fan site. I want to get away from this fear and write a fan site eventually to some characters I think deserve some love. However, I want to break away from the mold and do something different than the standard essay and analyze thing. (To be honest I just don't get those things and they bore me to death. Most of that stuff flies over my head tbh!)

I hope by that being here and breaking out my shy shell will allow me to not care about what I put on the internet and enjoy creating for myself. I already admit that I am good at what I do (design and code wise--moreso with code) but I'm also quite modest at times.

I'm pretty certain there are others that feel like me and I hope I can get to know everyone and hopefully make my first fan site a success. :) I do have two fandom-centric domains which house only fanlistings and one upcoming all-purpose domain (mostly going to be used for TCGs), but I hope to one day add to these and expand my talents beyond just code, design, and fanlistings.

A little about myself... I'm an indie game developer and my team consists of my boyfriend and two of my best guy pals. We are doing visual novels, classic-style RPGs and other fantastic stuff we feel is underrated. I do coding, character design, concept art, and other things having to do with characters. I like playing piano, indie-gaming, playing online TCGs, web design, coding (python is my favorite language) and I've been using Linux OSes for almost 9 years. I'm proud to call myself a Computer Scientist, though I don't have any degrees in it. My boyfriend has a Masters in it, but I'd love to go to school one day for it! I love pets but don't own any. My one and only cat is living with my parents a thousand miles away from where I live now. :(

I hope I can fit in here. ;o;

Edited to add: If anyone would like to add me on AIM or Google Talk and Twitter I'll include those here! Just make sure when you poke me, tell me who you are! I love chatting ^o^/

Twitter - ninthform
GoogleTalk - lovelyxmonster
AIM - my lies melt
Last edited by Eden on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not just another romantic comedy. ~ Get Dropbox!
Todd

Re: I am bulletproof?

Post by Todd »

Welcome, Eden!
Saya

Post by Saya »

Welcome ^O^/
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Welcome, Eden! Please just come and have fun, discuss your interests with other members! :) We're glad to have you! ♥
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Wait wait stop, what are you saying
WHAT ARE YOU SAYING ;_;

Read this very post. It doesn't look written like a 12-year-old to me! I think you were surrounded by assholes and you should just make the sites you want, how you want to make them, and screw everything else. You have ideas for your own unique fansites which would also shine in the light of your amazing webdesign skills? Let the dogs loose! I can say that I've never received an attack for anything I've ever written in a fansite after the Old Ancient Times (like, 2004?), so why worry about it? I'm sure you will make gorgeous sites!

Sorry for this abrupt greeting but as I was reading I went "wow what jerks, WHAT JERKS" and I had to write all of this. Now that I've got this out of my chest, well...Welcome! You sound like an awesome person with an awesome job, and your webdesign style is amazing. Again - I am sure you can make beautiful fansites too.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Welcome!

Shrines are about expressing yourself, you don't need to follow a pattern, in fact you shouldn't follow one. I'm sure that your future shrines will turn out great. :D

indie games *.* that sounds so fun!
Eden

Post by Eden »

@dubiousdisc - I'm flattered you think so! I don't actually have any sort of ideas on what to do with a fansite or how to make it unique yet, but I'm hoping once I surround myself with other people who make sites, it'll inspire me! I get myself bitten in the ass once in a while by purists (especially Sailor Moon ones) for my views on things and I even got chewed out by a group of fans who were bullying me through email. not more than a year ago. I'm just wary, yknow? I'm glad you think my skills are amazing!

@Mikari - Indie game dev is fun but really time consuming especially since it's not a regular full-time job! My boyfriend is in the hiring process of working at Google full-time and it's kind of hectic around here. We don't have any games released yet but once we get more funds, we're gonna start putting them out. :D

Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!
Aku

Post by Aku »

So glad you decided to join, Eden! I think that being a part of Amassment is a good way to get yourself started. Just surrounding yourself with a community that is active and excited about writing/shrining/designing is a really good motivator in itself! And I wouldn't worry about sucking at writing. Lots of people who shrine suck at writing. 95% of the internet can't write. It's totally fine.

... j/k j/k. Honestly speaking though, like with anything, practice makes perfect. The more you work at it, the better you'll become! I think when it comes to shrining, having a trusted-friend beta your stuff can really help you see where the gaps in your writing are. (Plus, everyone here at Amassment is super helpful too!) But based on what I know from you, I think your writing is fine. XD I really hope you'll consider working on a shrine, I think it'd be a great addition to your collectives!
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

I'm glad to see you in Amassment Eden!

I have a weakness in writing too and pretty much made a handful of horrid written shrines when I just started. haha. But now I think my writing is getting better because I try to overcome this weakness by making shrines over and over. And your writing isn't done by a 12 year old at all!

I'm sure you'll do great!!! \:D/
aminuet .。. king
Eden

Post by Eden »

@Aku
Thanks a lot Aku for the words of encouragement! I really do think surrounding myself with the right people will spark motivation in me. I don't really have any friends that I talk to outside of twitter so I guess I can offer someone to beta read things for me when the time comes. I think more of it is just my own fear rather than the quality of my writing, but I feel like my writing sucks. My general grammar and structure is fine, I just find it hard to get the right words. :/

@Kibumie
HI. \O/ I guess I'll just make sites and go from there! From sucky to spectacular right? lol