Alternative Shrines

Talk with others about anything shrine-related, be it presentation, content or something else.
Destinie

Alternative Shrines

Post by Destinie »

Here's a question: How many of you would consider making a shrine that is not related to a fictional fandom like anime/comics/books/movies/television shows/cartoons? Have you ever considered making a shrine to a historical figure, current figure/celebrity, animal, art, object, etc? If you have considered but never made it, what held you back? What other alternative "fandoms" are you interested in?

I want to reupload my site for the Lamassu and I really want to make a site dedicated to Cheetahs. I've never been too concerned about having people visit them as much as I just like making them. So I guess the thought of it having no visitors has never really stopped me.

I'm curious to see what you all think!
Sarah
Time Traveler

Re: Alternative Shrines

Post by Sarah »

I have a Joel McHale fansite. He is a celebrity/personality. That was very different for me, since I'd never made a website to a real person before. But I'm glad with how it has turned out and I enjoyed working on it. It was fun doing something out of the norm. You have to think differently about what you can say on the subject.

For the 2010 1P1M marathon I made a tribute to Orcas. I closed it not too long after opening it because I just didn't like it. It felt like a shorter Wikipedia article on the subject and I just wasn't happy with my work. I would like to attempt another animal tribute sometime in the future, though. Maybe re-open Orcas or try a new animal, like red pandas or guinea pigs. I would put more effort into it this time, and give it as much of a personal touch as I can. I'm really very fond of dubs' Egyptian Vulture tribute and think that is a great example of an animal site. I've also seen a tribute to snow leopards, and that was neat.

In general, I love alternative shrines and am always happy to see new ones pop up. :)
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I had thought about making a shrine for frogs, but I never did anything with it.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

One day I'd like to do something Mythology related - like Yukionna or something. Maybe butterflies?! Maybe my favorite flower or something. But I haven't sat down to genuinely try and work on it. I think that for me, my fandoms reach out through so many branches it's all a big pile of love. What really stops me is that while I'm in classes and working, I don't have as much time as I'd like to sit down and write and design. So that's my main issue. Not ideas or writing - just the time to do it.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Aku

Post by Aku »

I think I've mentioned this before in another thread/post/something, but I've aaaalways been interested in taking a Japanese historical figure and not only shrining the historical figure themselves, but the way they are portrayed in various media (games, anime, film, etc). Especially in terms of the shinsengumi / sengoku period warlords, it would be a lot of fun and totally allow me flaunt my japanese history nerd and the fact that I intake a lot of games/anime/movies related to those topics. XD;

Took a lot of classes in college and writing all those papers about Yoshitsune and Takeda Shingen would totes pay off if they were somehow realized into a shrine... but it's a lot of work and things like citations are a total pain in the butt! That's probably what would be holding me back the most, haha. Writing analytically and accurately about history is a lot more difficult to me than just wanking about an anime character, LOL.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

@Aku that sounds really cool! I would love to read something like that! :D
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Aku, I'd also love to see it. I was thinking if expanding my Hijijkata shrine to include extra sections. I want to compare the roles he's had in various things but my time is short and the list is long.

And yes, citations are a huge pain! Two of my sites have them because they started out as school projects. So I totally understand that. It is a little different writing for sites, but using papers can be fun!
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Ah, I ended up never answering to this! Yeah, I have the Egyptian Vulture page, and I used to have one about weasels (archived here, maybe one day I'll bring it back). I'd love to make more things like this. I am interested in a lot of things, so I wouldn't have any issue picking things to write about. There's also the bonus that the final result ends up being more...suitable for ending up in a portfolio, I think. I don't think they get any less visitors, though - I've seen big name web designers make their own magazine-like series of articles, each one with a different layout, and I've seen them featured all over the internet. If something, I think they are more enjoyable by people who know nothing about the subject.

EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE ONE, IT'S AWESOME

and Destinie, you should DEFINITELY bring Lamassu back and make the Cheetahs one!
Aku

Post by Aku »

Destinie wrote:@Aku that sounds really cool! I would love to read something like that! :D
SnowRayjah wrote:Aku, I'd also love to see it. I was thinking if expanding my Hijijkata shrine to include extra sections. I want to compare the roles he's had in various things but my time is short and the list is long.
Glad to hear it's of interest! I agree though Snow, it's a looot of work! :ack2: It'd be nice to have the time to write and analyze all that, but I'm pretty sure that something like that is bound to feel like a term paper after awhile... XD
dubiousdisc wrote:I've seen big name web designers make their own magazine-like series of articles, each one with a different layout, and I've seen them featured all over the internet. If something, I think they are more enjoyable by people who know nothing about the subject.
This is something I've really been wanting to do myself, too! Web-zine of sorts. XD While I would love to think about it as more portfolio piece as well, it'd be fun to do one that was more shrine based too. Being able to feature great articles from any of our shrines would be really awesome, and maybe even a good way to promote shrines and have people read essays (and think about how we write our essays) in a different context.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

So it hasn't been updated in a while but my Lamassu shrine still lives: http://love-gala.org/lamassu/ xD
I'll relink it on the domain at some point in time...I like what some people are doing now with one-page shrine collectives. :D