Children’s Stories

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Chibi

Re: Children’s Stories

Post by Chibi »

I love Children's books! The Little Prince is one of my favourite books and I seriously cannot recommend it enough. I also liked The Chronicles of Narnia and intend to read Charlotte's Web and Velveteen Rabbit soon. A book for children that I read as an adult and found really nice was Six Dinner Sid, which I'd never heard of, but it was a childhood classic of my boyfriend's, so I read it.

I'm in the process of writing my own book for children, it will be like The Little Prince and might have a few illustrations in it. :D
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Actually now that I think about it the book I used to read the most were really just series of illustrated classic tales or myths, hehe. I recall fondly a few ones in particular but for the illustrations, the stories are the same old. I also had an illustrated version of The Blue Bird of Happiness and I recall liking that one a lot. Then big classics like The Little Prince (although it's really not a book for children in the end) and Rodari's stories (C'era due volte il Barone Lamberto, that book was so fun).
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

OK have you ever come across this picture book called Traveling to Tondo? I used to read it all the time as a kid and I had to do some extensive research a couple years back to remember what it was even called. I just remembered that it was an African folktale. That book was highly influential to me as a child, not sure why, probably because it was about a wildcat.

Also, not sure if Dinotopia counts as a kid's book? James Gurney is a magical artist.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

/just found this topic and am so happy

As a young reader, I remember actually liking a lot of children's poetry books (Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutzky). I also read a lot of the Winnie-the-Pooh and Beatrix Potter literature, as well as classic fairy tales. As I got a bit older, I got into Roald Dahl (except Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory...nope nope nope), The Boxcar Children, The Phantom Tollbooth, etc.

Other than children's fictional lit, I also got into the kids' encyclopedias and atlases that my parents got--they explained everything from ocean creatures to volcanoes to human body workings. Plus, at my grandma's house, I dug up some old science/technology textbooks that were once my older cousins' and spent many an afternoon poring through them. (Both science and fairy tales have always fascinated me, which is probably one reason I read sci-fi/fantasy now, LOL.)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Neo: I've never heard of Frog and Toad! I might have to hunt this down.

Chibi: Oh! Charolette's Web will remain close to my heart. I'm not sure I want to reread it now that I'm an adult since I don't want the wonder to go away!

Dubs: I love classic myths, folktales, and fairy tales. I recently picked up a book called The Little Mermaid and Other Stories (something along those lines). It had The Little Mermaid and The Steadfast Tin Soldier, two of my personal favorites!

Destinie: I have not, but I do love African Folktales! For some reason Anansi is very dear to me.

CLB: Read everything! I wasn't too into non-fiction as a kid, and am still not as an adult. But I definitely see how my choices as a reader as a child have influenced my reading today. I still walk out of the library with horror or mystery books! Thanks Goosebumps and Boxcar children! Just curious, why didn't you ever read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory? I recently read The Fantastic Mr. Fox, since I hadn't read it yet!

I started my student teaching which means I have access to almost as much Children's Literature as I could ever want! I've been contemplating reading Goosebumps again because I read it as a child! The Boxcar Children too. I've found some pretty decent books as well as a few that I read a child and couldn't remember the names of The Dollhouse Murder in particular.

A newer story I read was Doll Bones. It's about a haunted doll and I quite enjoyed it. It's a bit of a mystery to solve and a small adventure. Maybe I'm just bias because I love haunted doll stuff!
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@SnowRayjah Actually, I was forced to read Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (of Death and the Tears of Small Children) in school--I finished the unit test on it and haven't touched it since, because 9-year-old me was pretty freaked out by it.

I believe the reason I found it to be a lot more menacing than Dahl's other works (even The Witches!!) was because Willy Wonka was too damn HAPPY while doing menacing things. The attitude was like "hey I'm secretly a villain! YAY ME! Let's F some kids' lives up because why not??!?!" (The Joker also bugs me for about the same reason... gleeful malice was something I had daily contact with courtesy of my entire grade level relentlessly teasing me, so I didn't like reading about it, I guess.)
withinmyworld.org
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

Ah, that makes sense! I hadn't thought about it like that, so I'm going to have to go back and reread it with a more objective eye. I wonder if I could reread it, I did check it out a few weeks ago but never got to reading it, and I ended up returning it because I knew it would just sit there. Thank you for sharing this with us. I also haven't read The Witches!! So, maybe I'll pick that up too.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

The Witches is classic Roald Dahl--freaky weird stuff happens, kids save the day, etc. :) Matilda is my favorite work by him, though, because the bad guys (or girls) all get exactly what they deserve in the end, and the good guys (or girls) end up with their needs met at last. (what can I say, I love a good hero's tale)
withinmyworld.org
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

I loooove children's stories! They are so much fun. Some of my favorites are:

Berenstain Bears Series
The Little Critter Series
There's No Such Thing as a Dragon
Wednesday is Spaghetti Day
If You Give a Mouse a Cookie
The Monster at the End of This Book
Peppermint
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Goodnight Moon
Corduroy Bear

And I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones I really love and remember reading a lot as a kid. I still love going back through them today. Just to see that familiar art or read the story and understand it differently/better as an adult.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

IF YOU GIVE A MOUSE A COOKIE ^o^ (that mouse wants everything, and super-size it please! xD)

Also "Where the Sidewalk Ends." <3 That and "The Giving Tree" :')
withinmyworld.org