DIVIDE: squall 'whatever' leonhart

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Larissa
Time Traveler

DIVIDE: squall 'whatever' leonhart

Post by Larissa »

DIVIDE

If you told me two months ago I was going to make a Squall site, I probably would have looked at you funny. I'd never so much as considered making a site for him, nor had I finished FF8, but, well, here we are!

I'm really happy with how it turned out; the way I set it up is pretty unorthodox, but it worked perfectly for what I wanted to say about him. This site is about half serious analysis and half questioning just what on earth FF8 is on, but eh, it was way more fun that way.

Also, this is probably the only FF8 site with a page about Terminator. Probably. (If there are any others I want to read them right now.)

Let me know what you think, and enjoy!
tonight fate is the
Mikari

Re: DIVIDE: squall 'whatever' leonhart

Post by Mikari »

This is awesome ^^ I like how you arranged all the pages and put so much detail into each part of the plot :)
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Maaaan, I don't even care about Final Fantasy and it's making me wish I knew the source material because I'm reading through it right now and it's such an engaging read. It's making me realize how important it is to put characters into perspective to understand who they are. I mean, I was aware of the existence of this character, and I've seen people go all omg Squall such an amazing hero and people go pshh Squall is an unsufferable gloomy kid, but here you're pointing out that this is a seventeen-year-old kid and acts like a seventeen-year-old kid, with all that entails.

It's also a mighty good looking site you have there. Good job.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

This looks awesome! Can't wait to have time to read it all the way through. It's reminding me of when my sister Samantha and I would play at night! I like the colors of the layout! I also like how you set up the information as well. AND I love love love when people have images to help describe their information. Big plus in my mind! Everything looks awesome!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

I'm still reading through it. There is so much! I am familiar with Squall, so I get a lot of what is going on. Sometimes I giggle and sometimes I'm like "Yeah, he's a jerk." I like how you tell him that he is a 17 year old boy, not some uber badass in leather pants. Though it would be fine if you went either way. Just nice to see something different.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Thank you all so much! C:

@dubiousdisc: Yes, exactly. That's really the point I was getting at with this site -- sure, you can look at all the things Squall does and says in the game as the actions of a typical jrpg hero, or you could take a step back and realize that wow, he's actually a really screwed up kid in a really screwed up situation and he acts like the child he is. I've always really enjoyed stepping back and analyzing the roles characters play in their own works, and with a character like Squall -- who literally spends the entire game monologuing -- there's a lot to talk about.
tonight fate is the
Todd

Post by Todd »

I think the shrine looks great, Larissa! I love the organization by disc. It is super helpful for people making their way through the game who don't want to be spoiled. Your writing is fresh, fun, and engaging. I think this might be your best shrine to date!
SnowRayjah

Post by SnowRayjah »

I love the organization and the highlight that Squall is just a scared little boy with too much thrown at him. He internalizes *everything* and he still keeps going. YAY SQUALL. Thanks for this amazing insight to Squall, Larissa.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Thank you! c:

@Snow Yup, that's Squall. He's often made out to be one dimensional and this site was my way of explaining that that's not the case at all.
tonight fate is the