Screen Resolutions

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
neo

Screen Resolutions

Post by neo »

Hello~! Just out of curiosity for site design, what screen resolution do you use for your computer?

I have always made layouts for 1024x768, I have a second screen though that is 1920x1080 which changes the view of some layouts. I am curious if anyone uses higher resolutions at times like myself. :)
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Mikari

Re: Screen Resolutions

Post by Mikari »

I use 1280x800, not all that different from 1024x768, just a little bigger, but not by much.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

I use 1920x1080 on both my desktop and my laptop, but I never make layout with that resolution in mind and I only recently started to make layout for 1280x800 (generally, 1200px width-wise is the max I get at).
Originally I made them for 800x600 but, aside from the fact that almost no-one uses that resolution anymore, it bothered me that the layout overall was so small compared to the whole size of my screen XD
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I have 1366x768 and I know it's one of the most common laptop resolutions, so I tend to design based on that. I try to take into account huge screens like the 1920 beasts you mentioned but not too much, I already tend to make things big anyway.

(I'll move this to Layouts and Graphics, seems to make more sense there)
Todd

Post by Todd »

Lol I design on an 800x600 canvas. Am I behind the times?
neo

Post by neo »

Oh wow, thank you for your feedback everyone!

@Todd - Well, it certainly is possible that people are still using 800x600 screen resolutions ^^".

@dubiousdisc - yes, my laptop is this size as well :) I haven't made anything as wide as 1920, but I sure would like to sometimes lol. (I was actually on your sites last night ^^" as well as a lot of other domains and shrines to get a feel for layout-sizes and how things are organized on a shrine~!) I noticed, because I have three resolutions I can check between and all of your sites are optimized for them and fill up the screen perfectly on any of those three. How do you do this? lol

@dragoneyes - yes! I think 800x600 is(or should be) on it's way out and I was wondering what screen size would be the best to optimize layouts for now. And, 800x600 and even 1024x768 seems limiting at times! :/ I guess, of course, less can be more.

@Mikari - thank you it is really helpful to know that :)

One thing I have noticed when cross-checking on my samsung tablet is that it appears to be a 1024x768 resolution or similar. I'm not very hip or anything and curious if tablets become the norm if that could be what we are looking at.

/wordy.
Last edited by neo on Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
VICTORY WITH EVERYTHING WE HAVE
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

My laptop is also 1366 x 768. :) Although I haven't had it terribly long, so most of my sites' current layouts were made for my last computer's resolution of 1024 x 768.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Tablets and netbooks are often 1024, fun to think that's what used to be HUGE SCREEN OMG, haha

Todd: This will be of your interest fghjk

Neo: It's that I design in percentages of whatever the screen width is, so it should scale to reasonable things no matter what. So if I know that the content box is 40% of the screen, it's 40% of the screen even if the screen is three miles wide, lol. The only thing you need to pay attention with that approach is scaling down, but that's easier to test since you can just resize your window, heh.
Todd

Post by Todd »

lol OMG.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Yeah, like dragoneyes I usually work at a 1200px-wide canvas. My layouts rarely get that wide but it gives me plenty of space to work with and very few people will have issues. The internet has gotten to a point where if people are running lower resolutions, my websites are not the only ones they're going to have issues with -- most websites are optimized for that size these days.
tonight fate is the