Yuu Watase

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Mikari

Re: Yuu Watase

Post by Mikari »

I liked that Rikko is older too since there are so many teen series, it's good to have an older, but still young, girl to relate to.
anon

Post by anon »

I like Yuu Watase's art, but I just can't get into her stories at all. I thought Absolute Boyfriend was pretty meh, especially because the surrogate analogue character was someone I couldn't relate to at all. I appreciate her tributes to ancient Chinese culture through Fushigi Yuugi but I'm not a huge fan of fantasy and prefer modern settings.

BTW Absolute Boyfriend also got an adaptation in Taiwan. Taiwanese adaptations of manga tend to be more faithful to the original content, though it's a shame they're made on such a piss-poor budget.
Elysa

Post by Elysa »

I've read a bunch of her work, though I suppose they're the somewhat better known ones (Alice 19th, Ayashi no Ceres, Fushigi Yuugi, FY: Genbu Kaiden, Zettai Kareshi among others). I enjoyed reading them, but her titles wouldn't be the first ones to pop up if I were to recommend titles to others. I did really like FY: Genbu Kaiden though, and I'm still hoping we'll get to see that finished some day.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

This is sort of old but I really really love Yuu Watase! I just finished Imadoki!, sort of late on that fandom, but its such a cute story! I also really like Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend. They are both really good if you are interested in like flirty fun romance stories. I just fell in love with Kugyou Kouki from Imadoki! and I am actually working on a fansite for him right now! When I'm done I'm going to post it so all of the fellow Imadoki! fans can take a look and give me some input!!
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

It's never too late to watch a good series. I've watched several "late" too and I'm glad I did. I'll have to check out this Imadoki you speak of...
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Megan wrote:This is sort of old but I really really love Yuu Watase! I just finished Imadoki!, sort of late on that fandom, but its such a cute story! I also really like Zettai Kareshi/Absolute Boyfriend. They are both really good if you are interested in like flirty fun romance stories. I just fell in love with Kugyou Kouki from Imadoki! and I am actually working on a fansite for him right now! When I'm done I'm going to post it so all of the fellow Imadoki! fans can take a look and give me some input!!
Ooh! I'd love to see your fansite~ I recently finished Imadoki!, too. It was sweet. My favorite of her works is still Absolute Boyfriend. ^o^
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

I'm afraid I'm not much of a Watase fan. I find her portrayal of women to be extremely problematic. I know she's improved on this to an extent in Genbu Kaiden, but there's just something about the way she writes her women that really rubs me up the wrong way. Loved the mythology in Ayashi no Ceres (I still own it and Zettai Kareshi), but everything else about it just blaaaarghflarghrage.
anon

Post by anon »

Under Megan's suggestion, I read Imadoki! in one sitting. It was okay, though it didn't make that much of an impression on me. I will say it's the best I've seen out of the other works I read out of Watase, though. :) Charming and not over-the-top.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I wish there was an anime about it, I'm not much into manga these days. Manga doesn't hold me interest like it used to, I need the pretty colors, voices and the ability to multitask while I watch/listen. D:
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Mikari wrote:I wish there was an anime about it, I'm not much into manga these days. Manga doesn't hold me interest like it used to, I need the pretty colors, voices and the ability to multitask while I watch/listen. D:

Yeah, I actually wish there was an anime for Zettai Kareshi and an anime for Imadoki! as well, those two would look so cute in anime-form. :(
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.