Update pages: how/where do you keep your updates?

Everything related to the visual and coding aspects of websites.
LadyDB

Re: Update pages: how/where do you keep your updates?

Post by LadyDB »

I do the sme Larissa. I just have a basic updates page on my primary domain. However, I never update it unless I'm adding a new site. Otherwise, I update each shrine individually. I never liked using Livejournal because there are too many ads, it required me to login, and I was like, "I pay for my own website, no, im no using LJ"lol
~ Lady DinoBug
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

It made more sense back when the site-building community was there (including Amassment itself), but these days I don't know anyone who uses LJ regularly. It was nice having that built-in audience, but LJ really doesn't suit most peoples' needs anymore, I think.
tonight fate is the
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I used to post my updates on the site itself but over time I ended up moving the updates all to one central page because I didn't really like the set up. I used to have the updates page connected to the main domain itself, but now it has it's own little place over here instead and I like it much better.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Chibi

Post by Chibi »

Thanks for all your input, guys!

FanUpdate does sound useful. I'm also debating on a simple, manually-updated page. The comments option is not a must for me, but I thought a CMS would be useful because I could just divide the updates in categories for each site, but I'm not sure it's worth having a CMS just for that. At this point I think FanUpdate would be better than a CMS.

Where did you download FanUpdate? I know Jem offers a copy of the script on her site, but there's also FanUpdate 3 which has its own website. Which version did you guys get?
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

Oh, I had no idea there was a new version! I'd recommend the latest version for security reasons; you're more likely to run into dangerous security holes with scripts that haven't been updated in years. (I might give it another look myself, incidentally - that's part of why I stopped using it.)
tonight fate is the
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Actually the version on Jem's site is the latest and safest. That one site for FU3 has inserted ads into the script.
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

I usually just have a line I manually update on each site whenever there's something new. I don't have enough updates to justify a full update log, I think. I tried having one on livejournal at one point but it was kinda pointless in my case.
dragoneyes

Post by dragoneyes »

Same as dubiousdisc. I used to use FanUpdate, but I update so sporadically that it really is kind of overkill, so now I just manually write the updates on the main page of each site whenever I add something new to them.
This dragon wishes you the best luck.
Larissa
Time Traveler

Post by Larissa »

nyxmidnight wrote:Actually the version on Jem's site is the latest and safest. That one site for FU3 has inserted ads into the script.
Why do people do this. :nolove: Good to know!
tonight fate is the
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I use Wordpress for mine, but yeah, it also seems like overkill to me - it's just such a bloated piece of software to be using for something so basic, you know? Also, I'm not overly fond of theming Wordpress, hence the current layout I'm using. But I don't really want to do it manually, and I do like that it has categories that I'm just going to link to from each individual site. I like the idea of all the updates being in one place.
a spoony bard