Activity Suggestion

Amassment-sponsored challenges, marathons and activities past and present. Join in on the fun today!
Cherri

Activity Suggestion

Post by Cherri »

Hey ladies and gents,
We want your feedback and ideas! What types of activities would you like to participate in? What would you like to see? Here at Amassment we like it for the people and by the people, so we want to ensure we are providing activites you would be interested in! I know you're all busy with work and school and world domination plans, but if you could give a little time to give us some feedback, that would be fantastic.

In short, activities are small, fun events that usually last 2-3 months. They encourage interaction between members, and often get them things they want and need for their sites like banners, feedback, and recognition. Below, I've listed a few we've done before:
  • Banner Trade - This has been popular every time we've done it. It is an activity we are definitely going to do again.

• Shrine Reviews - This was popular in the past, but wasn't as popular the last time we did it.

• Scavenger Hunt - This activity has always been fun, and has been a great way to showcase and give recognition to lots of different sites.

• Layout Swap - We've done this activity before at the LJ community. A couple people have asked about it here. What are your thoughts?
In this thread, we're looking for two things:

1) Feedback on our previous activities. I know some weren't as popular as others. Is there anything we could have done, and possibly do in the future should we do them again to make them better? Could they be done another way? Are there any activities you particularly enjoyed and would like to see again? What have you liked about our previous activities? We would love to hear your opinions on the matter.

2) Ideas for new activities. We're always looking for new things to do, and like I said above, this community is for the people by the people. Many of our best events were thought of by members. What do you want to see us do?

Thanks, guys! Feel free to post your thoughts in a reply to this post. You're also more than welcome to PM any Events Team Staffer - Sofia, Chibi, Todd, or myself.
;o; *** pew! pew!
LadyDB

Re: Activity Suggestion

Post by LadyDB »

Oh man, I wish I had better ideas for this, lol. Well, first I'll talk about past events. Sadly, I wasn't here for past events, so I'd love to do them again, lol.

I love the idea of banner trades because it's something easy, quick, and fun to do.
I also LOVE the idea of a layout swap! That would be something I'd participate in immediately. I really hope we do this again. That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm rooting for that.

Hmm, how about team/join events? I recently started working on a shrine with another webmaster and although it's a slow start for both of us because we have other stuff going on, the potential seems like a lot of fun! So maybe like, similar to the Creature Feature challenge...something small, doesn't have to be a huge shrine. But where people work on it together.

Then we can get to know each other better and make new friends. ^0^
~ Lady DinoBug
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I'm all for events like the Banner Trade and Layout Swap! I think it's fun to be able to share a bit of your shrine with other people. :)
Saya

Post by Saya »

ALL ALL ALL ALL I lvoed them all
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I like banner trades, though I might be a bit too busy for it this time around.

I think the reviews deserve another shot. I liked the style where it was simply and you just listed little things you liked about the site along with some suggestions. Example: - Awesome layout. -Enjoyed your thoughts page. etc.

Lots of fond memories with the scavenger hunt. :)

Layouts: I'll probably opt out since I'd get lazy about changing archived sites, and the collective is in need of revamping, which means the navigation might change and I might stick to skins and I know it's hard to make a skin compatible if you didn't make all the others. None the less, it will be interesting to see it, so I'll be cheering for those who participate.

Maybe a sort of Easter egg hunt. Todd did this a while back, though it was on his site rather than in Amassment, I think. Maybe give a day or two for people to PM the locations. Then everyone who finds them all on time gets an item.

@Lady: I like the idea of a team mini marathon/challenge.

Edit: adding more stuff to this post...

These are some themes that I've been thinking of which might work for future marathons. I'm not sure if they've been mentioned before, (I think they might have, in which case, um... reminder?) Anyway it's 3am so I apologize if I'm repeating stuff, I'm going to bed after posting this. ^^;;

Silent characters: inspired by the classic silent hero in video games, expanded to include all quiet characters. Not only characters that don't speak, but also characters who communicate through actions, expressions, emotions, etc. more so than with words. Characters who generally keep to themselves, mysterious, it can be defined in many ways, it would have to be described a little more specifically though.
Legendary items: inspired by the ocarina and song of storms shrines and I think it has been mentioned as inanimate objects before. Originally I was thinking of a group project where a bunch of people wrote about a legendary sword, because I really like legendary swords. This can be generalized to "legendary" items, as in special items that are important to the characters or plot, things that hold some significance. I'd be nice to have a sort of "guidebook" (directory page) with different items and different people contributing to it. That might be complicated though so maybe an item challenge.

I hope that wasn't too nonsensical to be understood, I'm not quite all there at the moment. Okay, I'm going to bed now, good night.
LadyDB

Post by LadyDB »

Mikari, I really like the idea of legendary items!! That's cool! And when I read Silent Hero's, I immediately pictured Squall, of course,lol <3
~ Lady DinoBug
Aku

Post by Aku »

Mikari wrote:Silent characters: inspired by the classic silent hero in video games, expanded to include all quiet characters. Not only characters that don't speak, but also characters who communicate through actions, expressions, emotions, etc. more so than with words. Characters who generally keep to themselves, mysterious, it can be defined in many ways, it would have to be described a little more specifically though.
I like this idea! It's one that I've toyed with myself. XD I think it's hard to shrine a character who literally says nothing (voiceless protagonists in RPGs) but I think it's an interesting challenge--you really have to read the characters personality through what other characters say. :)

Lately I've been thinking how fun it would be to shrine a "theme" rather than just a character or a series, maybe that kind of touches on Mikari's "legendary items" idea. The idea of shrining something more thematic, could be specific (legendary items in Zelda) or broad (women's role in Shounen Jump).

In a way I think these two ideas almost kinda "teach" an analytical approach to shrining... you're forced to think about something more analytically and find examples of your theory rather than just describing who and why a character or series is, maybe?
Emma
Time Traveler

Post by Emma »

I like the theme idea. Maybe we could have theme teams, like small groups work together/or make separate sites for a theme. For example, some people could be in the "heroes of Final Fantasy" group, but then there could be another group for "ladies of Shonen Jump" (just to kinda steal Aku's example there). And so on. There could be enough teams for there to be something for everyone (because not everyone is going to be familiar with everything). Friendly competition between teams and then each team can support each other in the site making to make it more of a community thing.

I also love the banner trade/layout swap. They've always been fun.
a spoony bard
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Post by dubiousdisc »

Just wanting to give a big YES to Mikari and Aku's marathon suggestions!

And to Lady Dinobug's team shrine thing :)

And out of the ideas in Cherri's post - personally I had great fun with the banner trade and the scavenger hunt. I'd do them again! Generally I'd like to take part in any event where I get to do stuff with/for other members. :)
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Silent heroes remind me of Crono and Link, Squall too now that you mention him... and Adol. There are many characters that fit the profile. It can even be taken metaphorically as to mean an "unsung hero" where the less known (to the other characters) actions have a big effect.

Yes themes and teams! I love how the ideas are flowing and we're all building off each other.