Old Favorite Video Games from Childhood?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
dubiousdisc
Administrator

Re: Old Favorite Video Games from Childhood?

Post by dubiousdisc »

SimCity 3000! The one that came out in...ah, 1999? I think that you'd have to order it from somewhere as there doesn't seem to be a digital release though. I would definitely recommend it if you liked the earlier ones, it does have a lot of nice additions compared to the previous ones and it's timeless for how it looks and plays.
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

COOL! Will try to find it somewheres ^_^

Also, I remembered another old favorite video game from childhood: Diddy Kong Racing. Had a LOT of cool Easter eggs hidden in the "select level" maps, plus you could drive hovercrafts and planes as well as cars...anybody else remember this one? :)
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

Growing up I watched my parents play games and then when I was old enough they let me play with my sister and them. Gauntlet, Super Mario Bros, Chrono Trigger (I watched them play this one), Event Horizon (watched my dad play, I'd look out for pirates and remember where ports were for specific items), Donkey Kong Country, Sonic and some others but I don't remember the names. And all of that was before the gameboy and N64. Which later we got our dad playing Pokemon on the gameboy.

Then I played Pokemon, Final Fantasy, Star Fox, Diddy Kong Racing (dad played this too), Super Mario, Legend of Zelda and it just kinda went from there. Mortal Kombat was in there some where. My uncle used to play a lot of games too. As did my grandpa. So I kinda grew up with a lot due to being born into a gamer family.

I've gotten into some new games by making some friends which is awesome. Phantasy Star, Yakuza, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, to name a few.
;o; *** pew! pew!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Cherri: COOL! Your early video game life was like... "Video Game Classics". :D (Regarding Gauntlet, did you know they've released a new version of Gauntlet on Steam?)

My friends introduced me to the fighting game series, like Soul Calibur, Mortal Kombat, Marvel vs. Capcom, Street Fighter, etc. (I was already playing Super Smash Bros. though. Pikachu FTW)
withinmyworld.org
Cherri

Post by Cherri »

@CuriousLittleBird: I didn't know that! I saw a preview for a new Gauntlet game during one of our movie nights though. It looked awesome. Yup, grew up on classics. Lovable Nintendo (it still works). Oh and Duck Hunt!

I like Soul Calibur! It's the only fighting game I can beat my sister at! I'm terrible at Marvel vs Capcom (and my at the time boyfriend didn't let me win!). Super Smash Bros, is fun though. It introduced me to Fire Emblem.

Has that happned to you guys? Playing one game that introduces you to a knew series or something?
;o; *** pew! pew!
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@Cherri: YEP! Playing Super Mario World for the first time at Christmas 1990 (to the best of my recollection)--with that ONE game, I got introduced to the Marioverse. :)

Also, Super Smash Bros. introduced me to the fighting game genre (Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Soul Calibur, etc.). I still prefer the SSB series, though, because it's not about "OMG PUNCH 13 BUTTONS IN EXACTLY THE RIGHT SEQUENCE in 3.2 SECONDS OR YOU LOOOOOOOOOOSE." LOL
withinmyworld.org
Shin

Post by Shin »

I loved playing these on the 1980s Nintendo platform:

1. Super Mario Bros.
2. F1 Racing
and, my absolute favorite, inspired everything I wrote and did in my life,
3. The Legend of Kage --- it's about a ninja rescuing a princess on his own, through forests, waters, towers, others, etc XDDD
Shi - Honor & Blood
"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Never heard of The Legend of Kage! What system did you play it on?
withinmyworld.org
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

That sounds familiar but I think I might have only heard about it rather than actually played it.