Considering Buying a 3DS XL...Game Recommendations?

Everything around games - from web games, platform gaming to MMORPGs.
SnowRayjah

Re: Considering Buying a 3DS XL...Game Recommendations?

Post by SnowRayjah »

I third Fire Emblem Awakening. I also second Theatrythm and Bravely Default.

If you like harvest moon, Story of Seasons is good and so is Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. I'd also recommend any Rune Factory game since it combines RPG and farming in a pretty nice way. I'd also suggest Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance, it's a lot of fun (though it might be intimidating if you know very little about KH).

I just have a 3DS, so I can't speak for any differences.
My dear, the truth is simple. We're all mad here.
Todd

Post by Todd »

Adding to this list: Puzzles and Dragons Z (also Puzzles and Dragons Super Mario Bros. Edition that comes with it). So much fun!
nyxmidnight
Communications Staffer

Post by nyxmidnight »

Oh man... my games are too hard for me to rec them to you :/
Join in the Tale, in the Blight, of Conquest and Lies
Come the Sun, to Tarnish in the Sky
Vow that we shall Tear the Light - Dark seizes the Throne
Lost in thoughts, all alone
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

I think it depends on what kind of games you like. But I recommend:

Tales of the Abyss -- If you want to get into the Tales of Fandom

Rune Factory 4 -- Harvest moon meets fantasy jRPG. Best in the series IMO

Any of the Professor Layton Games -- If you like a good puzzle and story. You don't need to start with the first in the series to enjoy

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time -- Port of N64 game. Just because I love LOZ

The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds -- Sequel to Link to the Past, my favorite Zelda Game. I love this game and would highly recommend ♥

There's a lot of DS games I like. I personally just have a few 3DS games...
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@SnowRayjah: COOL! Story of Seasons sounds really interesting--I've never played any Harvest Moon stuff but I've heard lots of good stuff about it, too.

@Todd: Might have to look into Puzzles and Dragons, especially with the Super Mario Bros. connection :)

@Nyx: LOL, I used to have more patience for harder games, but now I get hit with anger and "Ain't Nobody Got Time For That"-itis when I face difficult levels. (Possibly the depression affecting me, since I get super angry and irritable while depressed)

@Destinie: OOO Rune Factory sounds cool! Will have to look that up! :D :D
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

Rune Factory 4 is amazing. My sister let me borrow it and it was a big mistake. When I have money I am buying that game for myself lol.
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

Ah, I have a lot of games for my 3DS. I'll recommend my favorites. Have you purchased the system yet? Have you looked into the *New* 3DS XL (which is different from the 3DS XL)? I'm actually with Crystal with preferring the smaller size, but I've played the XL and I don't mind it. I wish they were releasing the N3DS in the original size.

I would recommend getting Pokemon X or Y if you're interested at all in the newest generation of Pokemon, competitive battling, or breeding. I am really into the breeding aspect of the game, and I just think it's a lot easier to do these things in XY than ORAS. Also you can customize what your character looks like. However, if your favorite generation is the third one though and you're not too into those things (I mean you can still do them in ORAS too, it's not impossible), ORAS is a solid remake, and I have been having a lot of fun with it!

In the Harvest Moon/sim. game aspect: If you're a fan of the old Harvest Moon games, *definitely* avoid Harvest moon: The Lost Valley. Honestly, it's just lackluster compared to the old games because the group that made the old ones branched off and made Story of Seasons which is much better. I appreciate what Natsume was trying to accomplish with The Lost Valley, but it falls short. A New Beginning is good though. If you choose a Harvest Moon game on 3DS, I'd get Story of Seasons or A New Beginning.

I have *not* played Rune Factory 4, but it looks like the best in the series. If you're interested in getting into the series, I would definitely pick it up! It's a game that I would like to eventually pick up. Especially with how much Crystal likes it! ;D

I also suggest checking out Fantasy Life (I think Todd mentioned this?) because it's pretty fun. You choose "jobs" (called a life) such as paladin, wizard, chef, tailor, etc.. and level up doing various things and also playing through the story. It's a pretty fun and relaxing game with great music and fun game play.

If you can get your hands on the Tomodachi Life demo to try out, this is actually a pretty fun game too. It's kind of weird, and a lot of people burn out quickly because they play it NONSTOP, but I still play it every so often! I'm not sure how much it is right now, but if it's not too expensive, that could be a fun game to eventually pick up.

Do you like Zelda? All of the 3DS Zelda games are great, especially the remakes. The graphics are beautiful and there's just *enough* subtle changes that make it a fun experience. If you're not located in the US, you could find a physical copy of Ocarina of Time for near MSRP. If you are, I'd suggest going digitally or prepare to spend a lot of money on it. I actually really like the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask remake a lot more than the Ocarina of Time one, but I know that Majora's Mask isn't a game for everyone. It's definitely something to check out! A Link Between Worlds is also pretty great, but I like the other two significantly more.

Other games that I like that don't really need as much detail: Mario Kart 7 (the graphics are really beautiful, I was actually REALLY impressed haha), Mario Party: Island Tour, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, New Super Mario Bros. 2 (I'm a sucker for this series), and Smash 4.

I also recommend the other RPGS in this thread: Bravely Default and Tales of the Abyss (if you haven't played it yet because it's literally the exact same as the PS2 version).

Once you pick it up, you'll have to add all of us so we can hang out in your ACNL town! ;D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

@sutkarak: Oh wow, lots of great recommendations! Thank you for the awesome write-ups! :D

I've heard a good bit about Fantasy Life and Tomodachi Life from a couple of gaming buddies, so that might be a good thing to get into. Had no idea they'd even made a Mario Kart 7, LOLOL--I'll need to look up the Mario series games for the 3DS systems and see what all I might be interested in there. All in all, it looks like I won't just be buying the system for one game like I feared! XD
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan A

Post by Megan A »

CuriousLittleBird wrote:@sutkarak: Oh wow, lots of great recommendations! Thank you for the awesome write-ups! :D

I've heard a good bit about Fantasy Life and Tomodachi Life from a couple of gaming buddies, so that might be a good thing to get into. Had no idea they'd even made a Mario Kart 7, LOLOL--I'll need to look up the Mario series games for the 3DS systems and see what all I might be interested in there. All in all, it looks like I won't just be buying the system for one game like I feared! XD
Yay, I'm glad to hear that! Fantasy Life, especially, is a really great game. Have fun!