Classic Genre

Favorite novels, plays, comics, etc.
Shiori

Re: Classic Genre

Post by Shiori »

Joe wrote:I thought classics were literature that came from the classicism period? OH MAN people probably have already said that though.

I guess I'm more of a neoclassicism person because those books are easier to read (given that they were printed at a later date) and can be something I relate to.
Classics in a literary sense aren't limited to the 17th century period of Classicism, they may slot into a broad spectrum of high art and literary canons that can span a variety of time periods and movements. Though I have to reiterate that what defines classic literature = all kinds of crazy-ass subjective, even in academic circles.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

When I think of Classic literature, I think of things that are well-known and engraved into our society. Some examples would be Alice in Wonderland, The Raven, Moby Dick, and the like. (But you can let me know if I'm really off base here.) I am a fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and CS Lewis, I would consider both these writers to be classical.

As Shiori stated: Though I have to reiterate that what defines classic literature = all kinds of crazy-ass subjective, even in academic circles. Does this have anything to do with when people go: "OMG THAT xxxx IS TOTALLY A CLASSIC!"

Super late reply to Dubious: I can definitely scan some of God's Man for you! The artwork is brilliant.
Shiori

Post by Shiori »

Destinie wrote:As Shiori stated: Though I have to reiterate that what defines classic literature = all kinds of crazy-ass subjective, even in academic circles. Does this have anything to do with when people go: "OMG THAT xxxx IS TOTALLY A CLASSIC!"
It's more disagreements between literature academics about what constitutes a classic, rather than the feelings of the lay community. Most people honestly don't give a damn about classic literature arguments and with good reason -- that shit is boring. Also endless because lol subjectivity. I figure if you find a work interesting, classic or not, that's what's most important overall.