Yuu Watase

Everything around Japanese animation and comics.
Destinie

Yuu Watase

Post by Destinie »

So I've been on a Yuu Watase kick recently (my local library has a ton of her work) and am looking for some other rec's of hers to read. I've never read Fushigi Yugi so that's probably what I will go to next. So Far I've read:

-Absolute Boyfriend (this is probably my favorite of hers. It's so funny)
-Imadoki
-Ceres: Celestial Legend

What's good? I prefer comedies. Ceres was pretty good and interesting, Imadoki was not something I was too crazy about. Something about her work just makes me want to keep reading. XD;
Saya

Re: Yuu Watase

Post by Saya »

Uhm, I probably am not really a fan of Yuu Watase, because the only series I actually loved was Fuushigi Yuugi, I don't know how I never got attracted to the other titles, even if I hear they are good. It just doesn't catch my attention from the beginning, so I never go past first volume or something.
-* Nothing is true ... everything is permitted.
Sarah
Time Traveler

Post by Sarah »

The only Yuu Watase work I am really familiar with is Fushigi Yuugi, which I like. I started Ayashi no Ceres but quickly dropped it, as I just didn't care for it. I think I've only glanced at some of her other series, like Imadoki and Alice 19th.
If you're interested in time travel, meet me last Thursday.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I've read Fushigi Yuugi, Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden, Imadoki! and Alice 19th, but I didn't enjoy the last two much, though they aren't downright bad either. With Yuu Watase, you'll usually get a fair share of comedy even if comedy isn't the focus, so if you like fantasy/adventure, I definitely recommend looking into Fushigi Yuugi. :) It has a big cast with likeable and well-developed characters who each make their fair share of appearances, developing friendships among each other, so chances are you'll like some of them.

Miaka, the main character, usually doesn't seem so popular with the readers, but it shouldn't be all too aggravating... At least not until the second half of the manga. =O I didn't particularly like her much myself, but didn't mind her either, and in any case, the character development and story make it a rewarding experience. :>
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Puppeteer

Post by Puppeteer »

I've actually read all of Ayashi no Ceres and Absolute Boyfriend, and they were both at one point or another relatively dear to me. I never built up much of a fandom for Ceres and haven't liked it as much as I grew up, but with the drama adaptation and all that, Absolute Boyfriend was hard to let go of.

Fushigi Yuugi continues to elude me; I think just the idea of getting into a long series with so many characters is a little daunting atm, but hopefully someday!
[People have a weakness for forbidden things.]
Kibumie

Post by Kibumie »

Destinie wrote:I've never read Fushigi Yugi so that's probably what I will go to next.
Fushigi Yuugi is my childhood all time favorite animanga and the reason why I am into anime. To be honest, I've watch/read that series a hundred times long ago and pretty much memorized almost everything FY related. :blush: You must read it quickly like seriously right now. :inlove:

FY also has a prequel released manga which is currently publishing pretty slow. Fushigi Yuugi Genbu Kaiden.

I've read almost all Yuu Watase's works. Although right now she is in the shonen genre, I still prefer her in the shoujo genre. She's great when making romantic scenes, and she has a tagline and scene that she usually use in almost all her works. :content:
aminuet .。. king
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Huh, it's interesting to me that most posts don't seem to like Ceres. I thought it was a fairy intriguing story (for a manga) and I love her off-beat comedy. Some parts of Ceres I wasn't a fan of, I don't particularly enjoy sex scenes in general, unless they lead to something important in the plot.

I will look into Fushigi Yugi, it seems to be her most popular. (I still consider Absolute Boyfriend one of my favorite mangas XD;)
Kula

Post by Kula »

I've read almost everything that is translated by Yuu Watase--I can't help but read all her works since some are between my favorites (Like Imadoki! and Zettai Kareshi) but if you don't mind boys love I would totally recommend Sakura Gari! The story/characters are pretty good and it has only 9 chapters.
overskill / uchuu ☆*。★゚*♪ヾ(☆ゝз・)ノ♪ ♪
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

I watched Absolute Boyfriend's live action series. I might have watched others but I never remember the author of anything. ^^;; I didn't like the AB ending on live series or the manga, though I did skip a ton of volumes in the middle after getting impatient.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

Mikari wrote:I watched Absolute Boyfriend's live action series. I might have watched others but I never remember the author of anything. ^^;; I didn't like the AB ending on live series or the manga, though I did skip a ton of volumes in the middle after getting impatient.
The Live Action show is so...weird! It's so different and quirky. I want to watch more of it because I like how they made it about an older girl instead of a teenager, it's more relate-able in my opinion.

The ending was...weird. But everything that happens in between is pretty funny. I have a strange sense of humor, though. XD