Strike Like Lightning

Promote new and existing shrines. We'd love to know what you've been making!
Forum rules
The usual guidelines in Constructive Criticism apply, and you have the option to flag your topic as "Sweet".
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Strike Like Lightning

Post by Megan »

Finally back into the Tales community!! After losing all my information for my Presea shrine, I thought that I might not get a Tales site up for awhile... but I finally finished Yuan tonight! I had a lot of fun learning about him through side subjects and research! I am glad he had a larger role than I had thought. My site is like a timeline of his life, so there are a lot of spoilers!

Strike Like Lightning

It's also the approved FL so if you are a fan you could definitely join >:)
please know that i am yours to keep, my beautiful girl.
Lethe

Re: Strike Like Lightning

Post by Lethe »

Yay, good job on finishing this! Haha I feel like you really stay on track when shrining, and manage to conclude projects swiftly. That's so great!

It's lovely to see a side character get a shrine - especially because it's a side character from a video game! As you mentioned somewhere on the shrine, it's difficult to appreciate Yuan during the first playthrough because there are so many things happening and there are so many characters, with Yuan's story being rather subtle, if not confusing, at first. Knowing his story and his relationships when replaying the game definitely helps.

And I think you laid that out well, starting with history and moving on to present day, which is characterized by his relationships to several people or groups, who bring about change as a collective.

I also like the "appearances" page, because, despite what it says in the description, it's not just about physical appearance, but also what that may convey about his personality - and you did cover his personality on that page too. The lightning page is great!

I have a suggestion about something that came up as I was reading the shrine, though of course, it's up to you whether you want to implement it! Tales of Symphonia has some spin-offs or alternate retellings or even games with cameos, etc. (as is usually the case with the Tales franchise). People who visit your shrine may only be familiar with the source material (the video game). On the following pages, you mentioned things that may not be clear to someone who isn't familiar with follow-ups/extra material:

military - Tales of Fandom: One Other Symphony
traveling group - Tales Fandom Chronicles
world tree - Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World (this one I actually know, but yeah)

I think it'd help if you included in parentheses or between commas what these are. That way, people know what your sources are and can look them up more easily if interested. :O
Both despair and ecstasy are part of the elements that compose a person.
Destinie

Post by Destinie »

So glad to see a new Tales shrine, especially from Symphonia! ;) Yuan was always this estranged, enigmatic figure for me whenever I played the game (I played through it three times) and I wondered how you might make a shrine for him. But I had no idea there was such a backstory and, now that I think of it, he did have a larger part in the OVA. But you really were able to highlight him and my favorite thing about this shrine is that you highlight his distinct personality and make me sympathize with him!

Great job! <3
Mikari

Post by Mikari »

Though I've known about Tales for years, I only recently became a fan with Hearts and Zesteria (I had previously finished Destiny and World, and dropped Phantasia, but didn't like the series nearly as much as now). It seems I generally tend to have a liking for the newer Tales. I have Symphonia pre-ordered on Steam and you're making me really look forward to it, this is a very well made site. :D
Robin
Events Staffer

Post by Robin »

Congrats on finishing a Tales shrine! I like the unusual organization of this shrine in that you include thoughts and opinions on the main page, sandwiching the navigation in between intro and thoughts. This helps the character information flow more smoothly. Also, the layout is gorgeous (as usual)!
~ a dream is a wish your heart makes ~
withinmyworld.org
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments! It feels great to get a Tales site done :D

@Lethe - Yes, I should probably add a page in my basic information to describe the other side stories and where people can find it! I'll have to do that soon :)
Crystal

Post by Crystal »

I really like the format you've started using to present your information. It's easy to navigate and looks cool. I also really like the name. <3
There are shadows before us - but only because the light is at our back.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Thank you!!! I have been trying to make it easier on the viewer to navigate through! :D Glad you like it!
high seraph

Post by high seraph »

Congrats on your shrine!

I played Tales of Symphonia (and Dawn of the New World, but we don't talk about that) early last year and I can confirm that remembering the entire plot is really difficult, and Yuan's role can easily be forgotten. To be honest, the only memory I had of him before reading through your shrine is that he had a weird blue mustache -- but then I saw the images and realized that he does not!!! wow!!!!! I'm impressed that there's so much back story for Yuan revealed (or at least clarified) outside of the game, and I'll be sure to check out these materials eventually.

I love that you took your time to talk about a minor character and how detailed your shrine is, without being exhausting! :content: Besides, I like how the text is presented in an easy-to-read way in your layout.

Man you really got me itching to play Tales games again wow..... I've only played Phantasia and Symphonia, and I have put something like 15 hours into Xillia (but I kinda hate Xillia). Maybe I'll pick Xillia up again sometime and... try to re-learn how to battle lmao.
          • ♕ ♔ nightly dance of bleeding
            swords remind me that i still live.
Megan
Freelance Staffer

Post by Megan »

Thank you! Haha, that made me giggle that you thought Yuan had a mustache! I guess it's hard to tell with their chibi forms! :p Sometimes it's challenging to make something for a minor character, and I'm always worried that I either won't have "enough" or I'll come off too repetitive... so I'm glad that you enjoyed! Yes, you should try playing a Tales game again soon! :D